Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin media flash sale (Mobile sim only €10)

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

okidoki987 wrote: »
    I had the same problem on an IPhone so switched sim to a Nokia and worked perfectly.

More chance of me moving back to Eir than using Android :pac::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭corks finest

sdanseo wrote: »
    More chance of me moving back to Eir than using Android :pac::eek:

Donttttttt

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭PeterDuggan

In my experience Virgin Mobile reception has been 100% perfect for data and calls. Seems an excellent deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭rco2000

Hi Folks, currently with Lycamobile on a 3g Sim, €15 per month on direct debit.
    Is it easy to move - do I have to give Lycamobile written notice please?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Hi Folks, currently with Lycamobile on a 3g Sim, €15 per month on direct debit.
    Is it easy to move - do I have to give Lycamobile written notice please?

Are you aware that it's possible to get 2 months use from 15e with Lyca?

Top up by 15e to get all calls, 15GB and keep credit
    Use 15e credit the following month to buy the bundle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭rco2000

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Are you aware that it's possible to get 2 months use from 15e with Lyca?

Top up by 15e to get all calls, 15GB and keep credit
    Use 15e credit the following month to buy the bundle

It's my teenage sons account that I set up for him several years ago. Didn't realise this could be done either.

Is it straight forward moving from a monthly direct debit to a monthly manual top up so?

Do we have to give Lyca notice and will he need a new Sim (he will want to keep his existing number)?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭benmeade

I had a deal from VM 20€ for 5 months and asked about moving to this deal and they point blank refused.
    The only option available was to port off the network and rejoin!

You'll only ever get 1 deal from VM so be prepared to port off. Also you are billed from the day the sim is dispatched because the account becomes active regardless if you intend porting your number.

Would I use VM again? Yes no issues with coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

benmeade wrote: »
    I had a deal from VM 20€ for 5 months and asked about moving to this deal and they point blank refused.
    The only option available was to port off the network and rejoin!

You'll only ever get 1 deal from VM so be prepared to port off. Also you are billed from the day the sim is dispatched because the account becomes active regardless if you intend porting your number.

Would I use VM again? Yes no issues with coverage.

Hope they receive my cancellation before its dispatched so!

Is it straight forward moving from a monthly direct debit to a monthly manual top up so?

It's within the login portal to cancel auto top up (presume it's a recurring card payment) and then manually top up when required. There's a thread that might be of assistance...
    https://m.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057604420
    Do we have to give Lyca notice and will he need a new Sim (he will want to keep his existing number)?

New SIM needed to port to Virgin, no need to give Lyca notice.

There is also 48 (4G MVNO using 3 network), which has 300 minutes, all text and 20GB for 9.99 and it's PAYG (same as Lyca whereas Virgin is a monthly bill)
    https://m.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058072911

• Registered Users Posts: 38 baldur1

The potential 2fa and hotspotting issue are the only things giving me pause. I'm paying €25 per month currently on 3.

When you sign up do you need to port at the time? Or can you port after you've tested their sim out on whatever number they provide?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭benmeade

baldur1 wrote: »
    The potential 2fa and hotspotting issue are the only things giving me pause. I'm paying €25 per month currently on 3.

When you sign up do you need to port at the time? Or can you port after you've tested their sim out on whatever number they provide?

You receive an active sim with an active number which you can port to afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 baldur1

benmeade wrote: »
    You receive an active sim with an active number which you can port to afterwards.

Thanks. Might just try it out then. Can always just return it if there are issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

I got a dispatch email for delivery of sim tomorrow. Typical the cancellation button in the manage delivery page isn't working so changed the address to their HQ In Dublin :)

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Anjunadeep

hows the speed for everyone?
    I typically get a ping of 60ms and download of 10-15 Mbps , Upload 3-4 Mbps.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Robbieol

[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]
    okidoki987 wrote: »
    I had the same problem on an IPhone so switched sim to a Nokia and worked perfectly.

Had this same issue but just went into Mobile Data in settings, then Mobile Data Network and under the Personal Hotspot field filled in 'Internet.ie.upcmobile.com'. A minute after the hotspot option became available and it works fine.

Also just received the sim today and so far speeds are similar enough to Vodafone, decent enough and I live in the countryside. (Voda's speeds haven't been extremely fast lately like they usually were though)

https://imgur.com/S7wt5jm

• Registered Users Posts: 10,618 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Had this same issue but just went into Mobile Data in settings, then Mobile Data Network and under the Personal Hotspot field filled in 'Internet.ie.upcmobile.com'. A minute after the hotspot option became available and it works fine.

Fair dues, now working.
    Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

beauf wrote: »
    I don't get the point of Virgins offer when goMo is still cheaper.

It makes no sense for an existing GoMo subscriber as it is basically the same offer for a tenner and only of marginal benefit for a non GoMo subsciber as you will have to migrate in 12 months in any case.

kn wrote: »
    It makes no sense for an existing GoMo subscriber as it is basically the same offer for a tenner and only of marginal benefit for a non GoMo subsciber as you will have to migrate in 12 months in any case.

Ish, Gomo has a potential data cap of 80GB, Virgin cap has been removed so it's totally unlimited now.

Fair Usage Policy on unlimited plans: Our unlimited plans have a monthly allowance of 10,000 minutes and 10,000 SMS within ROI and EU. A monthly allowance of 80GB applies on data, after which speeds will be limited. 11.7GB of this 80GB allowance can be used within the EU after which surcharges will apply.
    https://www.virginmedia.ie/mobile/sim-only/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭corks finest

Anjunadeep wrote: »
    hows the speed for everyone?
    I typically get a ping of 60ms and download of 10-15 Mbps , Upload 3-4 Mbps.

Gone to hell at times,nada- now I've got 4G
    Don't know what VF are up to it's either brilliant or crap

• Advertisement

Ten Pin wrote: »

Guess they haven't got round to changing the website.
    It's totally unlimited data as is 3 now.
    Confirmed by online chat and a text message and was in one of the rags last week when they announced it.

Advertisement