Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

High speed, unlimited internet?

Options
  • 26-08-2015 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I've just moved here from the US, and I'm in my husband's old family home in the western part of the city (city is stretching it), just northeast of Barna.

While there's lots I've found to love here, I'm absolutely flabbergasted (and frustrated) that there are so few internet options. Apparently, the high speed fibre broadband (through NTL) doesn't go north of the estates on the Western Distributor Road once you get out this far, and the rest has to go through incredibly slow Eircom phone lines.

So, my question is, is this actually the end of the story? Are the options really only heavily data-restricted high speed or unlimited slower-than-molasses phone line internet?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

There are also WiMax options, such as Lighthouse which would get you some basic broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,542 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

ninadeer wrote: »
    I've just moved here from the US, and I'm in my husband's old family home in the western part of the city (city is stretching it), just northeast of Barna.

While there's lots I've found to love here, I'm absolutely flabbergasted (and frustrated) that there are so few internet options. Apparently, the high speed fibre broadband (through NTL) doesn't go north of the estates on the Western Distributor Road once you get out this far, and the rest has to go through incredibly slow Eircom phone lines.

So, my question is, is this actually the end of the story? Are the options really only heavily data-restricted high speed or unlimited slower-than-molasses phone line internet?

Eircom have "Fibre to the Cabinet" in parts of Barna, this could give 70+ MB if your luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Not to bitch or anything (well..:P) but a little further out West you don't even have consistent mobile phone coverage...to get a decent signal you have to leave your house and make it to the main road. Not even being funny.

But we're getting a massive 7 mb broadband speed. For the same price that other folks get ten times that. The joys of country living:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

galah wrote: »
    Not to bitch or anything (well..:P) but a little further out West you don't even have consistent mobile phone coverage...to get a decent signal you have to leave your house and make it to the main road. Not even being funny.

But we're getting a massive 7 mb broadband speed. For the same price that other folks get ten times that. The joys of country living:rolleyes:

I notice going over Furbo Hill every day that there is no coverage nearly a mile either side of it.

My only viable internet option at home is Three mobile broadband. It's ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,839 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I notice going over Furbo Hill every day that there is no coverage nearly a mile either side of it.

My only viable internet option at home is Three mobile broadband. It's ****e.

Three will continue to be bad. I have a letter from their CEO making clear that they won't improve the mast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭Laviski

what did we learn here?

go move into a place that cannot get UPC :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,167 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I hear ya, OP! I'm living in the 6th largest city in the US. Bigger than Dublin and can only get internet through one company due to some crazy unregulated mess. Paying for 40 Mbps and getting between 1-12 Mbps. It can be very annoying to be anchored to a crappy service.

For Barna, I'd have thought Eircom and Sky would be out there..We use to have more broadband providers like Smart Telecom but it seemed like the downturn wiped out some of the good smaller companies...typical!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

My friend in the States was also telling me about how they get ripped off for mobile service. He might not be the most reliable source, but he was saying it was like $80 a month to get a mid-range smartphone plan. Sounded pricey compared to the deals here lately.

Maybe OP can at least get a good plan with 15gb data for less than she was paying.

Advertisement