Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Missus...

• 14-06-2017 6:22pm

...I just don't like that term.

Refer to her by her title "my girlfriend/partner/wife", refer her by her name, use a term of endearment, use a well known literary reference like Rumpole's "SWMBO"...anything but "the Missus".

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

ME MOH!

Also, "well known literary reference"?

Oh, so I should call her "Frailty" ... hweh hweh hweh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Herself and meself....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

her indoors

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭LadyMacBeth_

I often call my OH my missus when talking about her to other people, if she complains she gets a slap :pac:

In Cork the term ''my old doll'' is common, I don't like it because I don't want to be told that I'm old!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I think the missus is quite endearing and sounds like you're really comfortable with them, i like it personally

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Refer to her by her title "my girlfriend/partner/wife", refer her by her name, use a term of endearment, use a well known literary reference like Rumpole's "SWMBO"...anything but "the Missus".

That's all well and good, but do you ever worry that by referring to her in a sincere and un-flippant manner, you might lead people to believe that you're talking about someone whom you deeply love.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I hate it too, also not a fan of "hubby". My husband calls me wifey sometimes, which I like, but only in private.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,148 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Shes not a possesion for you to own. OMG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

My significant other. :)

pjohnson wrote: »
    Shes not a possesion for you to own. OMG

It is a little possessive, but it reflects the pride of association...and still better than the coldness of using "the" beforehand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

The war office.

glynf wrote: »
    The war office.

That's pretty good, at least it's inventive. The Missus is just so hackneyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

The war office.

Yeah lads who say they have to clear it with 'the war office' before going out to get loaded with their male friends.

Like boys seriously grow a pair, she's not your mother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,944 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Thread reminds me of this...

:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

I often call my OH my missus when talking about her to other people, if she complains she gets a slap :pac:

In Cork the term ''my old doll'' is common, I don't like it because I don't want to be told that I'm old!

De ol' doll

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,921 ✭✭✭gifted

The Brains of the operation...

Yeah lads who say they have to clear it with 'the war office' before going out to get loaded with their male friends.

Like boys seriously grow a pair, she's not your mother.

thinly veiled "I'm single" post! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

I just use her name

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

I'm not too fond of it either. I really don't like "other half" or OH and would never use it in real life but I use it on here sometimes because it's handy.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

The leader of the opposition or the moth. The Mrs. is fine as well.

No idea what she calls me, hopefully not the hubster.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,619 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

She who must be obeyed....

Lorelli! wrote: »
    I'm not too fond of it either. I really don't like "other half" or OH and would never use it in real life but I use it on here sometimes because it's handy.

I frickin hate OH but like yourself it is handy for here.

What's worse though is hubs, hubby and husbag. Fück. Right. Off.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Husbag? :D

That's not that bad actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭GerryDerpy

Yet more leftist ideological SJW crap with men feeling offended on women's behalf. If my missus has a problem with the term then she is capable enough to tell me.

Husbag? :D

That's not that bad actually.

Or hubsbag. The ultimate combination :p

GerryDerpy wrote: »
    Yet more leftist ideological SJW crap with men feeling offended on women's behalf. If my missus has a problem with the term then she is capable enough to tell me.

That's it alright. Sure everything is about the offence and the JSW thing what you said about.

That's it alright. Sure everything is about the offence and the JSW thing what you said about.

Not to get personal, but a quick glance through your post history confirms my suspicion. You're a good person though, so I feel bad. I'm a cnut.

GerryDerpy wrote: »

is there a whiff of White-Knighting there a bit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

This is my current partner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

My first wife/husband!

Hummm had to look it up and can't see it sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

The minister for finance,is one I like

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

My Dad introduces my mother as '<her name>, my current wife'. Don't know how she hasn't divorced him by now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I always call conors missus by her name

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

That's pretty good, at least it's inventive. The Missus is just so hackneyed.

Couple of mates use it all the time, both afrikaaners. They all did national service so have loads of odd military sayings and produce some well ****ed up insults.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Something something cuck something snowflake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭Wossack

trouble and strife

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Fist cushion or cock holster…

Couple of mates use it all the time, both afrikaaners. They all did national service so have loads of odd military sayings and produce some well ****ed up insults.

The Swiss Army Wife is, apparently, a wife who is good at cooking, cleaning, a great mother etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,260 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Bambi wrote: »
    I always call conors missus by her name

I only call her at 3am when I'm drunk and horny.
    Conor's missus I mean

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

If you say my missus or hubsfestival you are an asshole.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

ball and chain

Robsweezie wrote: »
    ball and chain

Which, as Cork slang has come up, really refers to an anthem at Sir Henrys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

I just say boyfriend or his name most of the time, himself the odd time.
    I use OH on here but wouldn't in real life

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

I don't mind being called the missus, though it doesn't happen often. To be honest for me not being married it's hard to know how to refer to each other. Girl/boyfriend sounds too teenagery. Partner sounds a bit yee haw, cowboy. I usually resort to other half or himself but am not particularly fond of those terms either:(

Or the Trouble and Strife.

I've no objection to The Missus at all.

When I was a schoolgirl and we would watch television and an attractive man would appear on screen, he would be referred to as The Chap - the one who eclipsed all other chaps in the movie/show.

I refer to my partner as The Chap since he eclipses all other chaps in my life. I also refer to him as The Beloved.

My favourite is my Grandmothers term for the regular man in her life, who she refers to as her Gentleman Caller. Abroad for a few months on holiday, she played golf regularly with another gentleman, whom we have persuaded her to refer to as her Side 'Ho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

Kitchen Commander

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

She who saved me from blindness

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭railer201

It used to be 'The Quare Wan' years ago - 'The Missus' is a big improvement on that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement