Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Have you ever seen a short man/tall woman couple in Ireland?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

Gender equality, ffs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭LadyMacBeth_

Definitely seen couples where the woman is taller, you'd have to be living under a rock not to. I've gone out with some guys a lot taller than me but the majority have been my own height or a little bit taller, made no difference to me. Never went out with a guy shorter than me but not because I wouldn't, just because I haven't met anyone I clicked with who was shorter. I'm 5ft 6 though so there aren't that many men around shorter than me.

My missus (just for you Conor74) is the same height as me, handy for kissing!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Just get some platforms, OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I went out with a guy significantly shorter than me for a few months. Can't say I had any issues with it. Can be handy having them at boob-height :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

OP where are you originally from? You seem to hold a lot of peculiar viewpoints on Irish culture/lifestyle that are actually common to many countries, such as majority of women preferring to date taller men

You phrased the OP as if this is a quirky little thing unique to ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,323 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

My dad was shorter than my mother. by about 4 inches. I'm the tallest in the family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

jeanjolie wrote: »

The fact that there are a lot of short woman tall man couples in Ireland even when people can get partners of their height still tells me that gender dynamics matter to the overwhelming majority of Irish people.

Your post makes no sense, gender dynamics has nothing to do with attraction.

gender dynamics lol, I'm such a sexist cos I've never had a boyfriend shorter than me! Imagine if the roles were reversed grumble grumble

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭LadyMacBeth_

Any other men not attracted to short women but not repulsed either? I've never got the love for short women, I'd prefer someone who my kids could look up to (metaphorically and literally) as a dominant, feminine figure. I just couldn't take a short woman (<5ft 3in) seriously as a mother of my child.

Hypocrite much?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

My Dad is 5'4" and my mam is 5'8".

Their wedding photos are gas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I'm female and 6'1 and have dated men shorter than me. My last serious relationship was with a guy who was 5'9. I also date men much younger than me too. I think the stigma has gone when it comes to height and age ratio between men and women.

Let's be honest, this is a sign that Ireland is a backwards country in regards to gender equality compared to other European nations.

I wish people would stop praising this country when we still make fun of men who wear 'skinny jeans' that fit them perfectly, call well dressed men/women 'too posh', and still have problems with trans people using bathrooms.

It's a joke isn't it..?

Seriously, have you visited anywhere outside Ireland? I see the same relatively small number of taller woman/smaller man couples in every european country Ive visited
    If anything this trend of wanting a taller boyfriend, especially in online dating, is an imported americanism, or at least strengthened by that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Mate of mine is 6'8" and his missus is about 5'4"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

I'm taller than my husband by 2 inches so when I'm in heels I tower over him. We're together so long I don't even notice anyone looking at us and could care less. No one has ever said anything to us. He might get a slagging from his friends for being short but that's it.

He did say that as a teen it was really awkward cos he'd have to stand on a box to shift some wan down the road.

He and his brothers are all relatively short, none have ever had a problem getting women. His brothers tend to end up with women same height or smaller. They're all fairly confident though, I think that's key.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭scopper

I'm 5'9. GF is 6'4.

We do get comments, but usually jokey. I mean people always make jokes about something. I would tend to say since men are taller on average that is just statistically the norm, to have taller men.

Anyway, tis what you make of what you have!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Jasus there seems to be a good few women over 6 foot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Keep in mind I don't mean where the man is short by the general standards of a short male (<5ft 10in) but rather he is shorter in a relationship than his girlfriend.

I know a fella who was only in a relationship for 3 months yet his girlfriend had been in the relationship for almost a year. Does that answer your question?

Jasus there seems to be a good few women over 6 foot.

Was just thinking that myself ! I could count the number of women I know over 6ft on two hands and they always date super tall ladsyet we've loads of posts in this thread of fairly small lads dating amazonian ladies :pac: Think this might be slightly skewed perspective on here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I'm 5'8. Wife is 6'2.
    I contemplated a step ladder for our wedding:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

What attracted you girls to the rich small fellas in the first place?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 118 ✭✭Resist ZOG

So op is a shorter than average guy who thinks he should have access to the most desirable women in society because of gender equality?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 118 ✭✭Resist ZOG

Best friend is 4'9 and his missus is 7'1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

OP you seem obsessed with what you don't have. It's either a thread about being small, feminine, some gender equality issue etc.

You then reject any opposing point and blame it on the country. As if it's everyone elses fault that your own characteristics are not being catered for!

As soon as posters inevitably reject these ridiculous notions, you bail out of the thread and just start another.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

I think that for most folks it's about "The Click". If you like someone..well it's hard not to like 'em.

The muscle man /mary...or page 3 image... have a ring of fakeness about them.

I've never encountered anyone who brought a measuring tape on a night out.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Yes, lots of times, but usually only where there's a very slight difference between the woman and the man.

Very short man and very tall woman...hardly ever.

Advertisement