Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Witnesses

• 06-07-2006 12:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭

I'm having a pretty informal wedding at the end of August. Civil ceremony, followed by drinks on the grounds and then a party at our house, which is around the corner from the castle the ceremony is in. No sit down meal, no speeches, I'm not sending out invites, people can dress however they want and we're having a charity collection instead of gifts.

Obviously we have to have witnesses, but not in the role of bridesmaid or best man. We are both asking friends who also live in London. And as most of our friends and family won't be here beforehand these are the people who we'll probably be dragging on last minute shopping trips.

So I'm wondering if anyone has an opinion on how they would feel about being asked to be the witnesses. If it was you would you be annoyed if your outfit wasn't bought for you, do we get them gifts and if so what kind?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

I'd be chuffed if someone asked me to be their witness and I'd see it as an honour. I wouldn't ever expect my outfit to be bought or anything like that. That's not necessary imo.

With a wedding like the one you're having (kudos on the charity collection by the way) I would suggest a small gift, something simple. Just a small token to act as a thank you and a reminder of the day.

As to what gifts...well it depends on the people. You could do something like a nicely framed photo of yourself and the groom and your witnesses. That is of course if you didn't mind not giving them something on the day.

If you'd prefer to give something to them at the event then you could go with the usual gifts like tie-pins/cuff links for the man and a necklace/ear-rings for the woman.

Go with something you think they'd actually like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I cant remember what I gave the best man (my brother). He was overjoyed when I asked him though. I think it was something for his motorbike. My wife looked after the bridesmaid. Best of luck with the wedding and fair play for the charity collection thing, there arent too many that would do that. There are far too many people worried about if they get the x amount of money and other things off their lists.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Since my ex and I had to have separate legal and religious ceremonies we got people that were circling with us at the religious ceremony to be witnesses for the legal one.

We just took them out for a meal as a thank you, a pretty good meal though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭RandomOne

I'd be happy to be asked and definitely not expect my outfit to be bought. I wouldn't expect a gift either, but whether a witness or not I'd want to keep some memento of the day which may be disappointing to some (witnesses included) if you're not sending out invites.

Advertisement