Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cutting Costs

Options
  • 03-07-2006 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭

Ok, even tho im not getting married, aint even got a rock on my finger, but here's one that might help some of you out:

How can you cut costs on a wedding??

Ill start off...

Ebay....u can get anything here from wedding cameras for the tables to invites.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Garage sales are good. Im not talking filthy old junk or anything. We got these table decorations and all sorts of useful stuff from someone who had just got married and saved them.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Get married far away from your extended family and don't invite them until a few weeks before the big day. That way you can invite everyone, but most of them can't come.:D

To really make that work you should do it on a weekday. Just be sure to give the people you really want to come lots of notice.

iguana wrote:
    Get married far away from your extended family and don't invite them until a few weeks before the big day. That way you can invite everyone, but most of them can't come.:D

To really make that work you should do it on a weekday. Just be sure to give the people you really want to come lots of notice.

I got married 3,500 miles from Ireland so yeah most of the people who wanted to couldnt make it but it was most important to me that my Mam and Dad were there so that was arranged. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

mel123 wrote:
    How can you cut costs on a wedding??

Step 1) Decide not to have a "traditional Irish wedding".
    Step 2) Decide what to have instead, that fits inside your budget.

I'm not actually joking here. I was talking to my Dad about this recently, and was very surprised to hear that what is taken for granted these days as the "traditional" Irish wedding is a fairly new phenomenon and certainly wasn't the standard fare back in his day.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I'm getting marrid in August, and myself and the soon to be mrs have saved loads through buying things online. Also we've made all our invites and favours for the table. (By we I mean she :D). Our photographer is a local man who has done several of our friends weddings and only cost 400, we're not getting the "traditional" wedding movie done, everyone we know has camcorders already! Buying the wine from france, our holiday in the states again bought online saving loads. Loads of savings to be made if you look out for them. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭mel123

I know 2 people who have bought their wedding dresses online and saved loads of €€€€€€€

mel123 wrote:
    I know 2 people who have bought their wedding dresses online and saved loads of €€€€€€€

I bought my suit online like the one below (minus the women :D), saved a heap of cash on it alright, great quality.

os_4lg.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Figment

Organise it in plenty of time and do a lot yourself.
    Shop around for a suitable venue.
    KEEP YOUR GUEST LIST SHORT! Most family know how expensive a wedding is and many find wedding days too long anyway. Invite just immediate family to the wedding and meal and invite everyone to the afters.
    Buy your wedding cake in Marks and Sparks. It looks and tastes great so no one would know the difference and no one really eats the stuff anyway.
    You or a creative friend do the invites and thank you cards.

What most people forget is that good friends and family are there to celebrate your wedding and really couldn't care where the wedding is or how expensive everything is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭charba

I don't know if its possible to invite just immediate family to the wedding and meal.

I know if I was to get married in the morning and hadn't invited friend especially those who i've known for years then they would be hurt that I couldnt share my big day with them. And although I know weddings cost a small fortune know that i would really want them to be with and that I will have to bear the cost of that.

Buying wedding dress and bridemaid dresses on line is a great way to save lots of cash, ebay is great for this and the dresses are fabulous. Friend bough a bridesmaid dress for about 100 euro took 6 weeks and was to die for.

For a wedding car, see if any family friend has a merc/bently that you could borrow and do up, it could be part of their wedding present and they'd only be delighted to do it.

If you want some decent phots but dont want to spend a fortune on a photographer then grab a friend who's good, and get them a decent slr either digital or analog (even if you have to buy it it'll be yours for the future and they are well worth the cost) and let them shoot away its just as good.

thats my two cents. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 daisychain

I was at a family wedding last year that had no photographer, they asked all family and friends to take their own photos and share them with the B&G after the wedding. we each gave them a cd rom with our photos on it, as did many other guests, they also got more emailed to them and they had their pick of about 1000 photos! they also didn't send out invitations, just rang everybody a few months before, and again 2 weeks before when final numbers were needed, which I thought was more of a personal touch than invitations. they had one best man and one bridesmaid, this craic people have lately of having 4 or more bridesmaids is ridiculous, each bridesmaid must cost a good few bob between dress, shoes, hair, makeup etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

Figment wrote:
    KEEP YOUR GUEST LIST SHORT! Most family know how expensive a wedding is and many find wedding days too long anyway. Invite just immediate family to the wedding and meal and invite everyone to the afters.

Actually, if you want to cut costs, Eddie Hobbes recommends inviting tons of people and asking for cash gifts only.

Shabadu wrote:
    Actually, if you want to cut costs, Eddie Hobbes recommends inviting tons of people and asking for cash gifts only.

Hehe wouldn't that be terribly rude? Cousins of mine had on their invitations that they would like money, I found that to be in very bad taste.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

Actually, now that people are living together as standard, buying houses & having babies before the wedding, it's not terribly rude. You may have percieved it that way, but what people need to get on the property ladder nowadays is cash. Which is the more thoughtful gift to a struggling couple: €150, or €150 worth of Waterford Crystal?

i think it makes sense though i would never do it.

As pointed out people are living together beofre they get married so they don't need the age old presents that used to be bought for newly married coupkes who are about to move into their first home. 10 kettle's knife sets etc that will be sitting around clogging up space.

Cash would be helpful, the wedding needs to be paid for and/or if there are kids it could be a great help too.

Shabadu wrote:
    Actually, now that people are living together as standard, buying houses & having babies before the wedding, it's not terribly rude. You may have percieved it that way, but what people need to get on the property ladder nowadays is cash. Which is the more thoughtful gift to a struggling couple: €150, or €150 worth of Waterford Crystal?

Agree with you there, money is certainly needed more than gifts. Its just what I wouldn't do. :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Those in Dublin should also check out the Oxfam bridal shop on Georges St. The majority of donations come from bridal shops passing on the remainder of their seasons stock, so most of what they have has never been worn and is only about 6 months old.

charba wrote:
    I don't know if its possible to invite just immediate family to the wedding and meal.
    it was immediate family and close friends that we hat at our meal. It went great.

Ruu wrote:
    Hehe wouldn't that be terribly rude? Cousins of mine had on their invitations that they would like money, I found that to be in very bad taste.:)
    Not my personal preference but I can see the practicality of it and see no problem.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Cash is always a welcome gift as my 300sq foot flat is covered with Waterford Crystal :)
    You may feel 'bad' or 'strange' about giving it but if you want to make them happy then cash is the best solution (unless they have a wedding list).

We got married in France and invited everyone that was willing to make the trip (about 100 people). Corking fee over here is generally €2.50 per person (not per bottle) and as the place didn't have the right to sell beer I bought 20 of those 5 litre kegs and brought them out once everyone had had there wine with the meal.

The 4 bridesmaids were told to wear pink and we didn't pay anything to get them dressed-up (not tradition over here anyhow).

Picked up 20 disposable cameras on Ebay for €50

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭JohnnySideburns

I can't believe I'm posting this. I've seen wedding dresses and brides maid outfits for sale (by travellers) at car boot sales. Wouldn't buy one for my bride to be but if you're a young couple struggling to get on the property ladder and it's the difference between a perfect day in a church and getting married more plainly clothed in a registry office, then it could be taken into account. It is scraping the bottom of the barrel, but it is possible you could get away with it without anyone knowing about it.

(Please note, I'm only passing on info. This does not reflect my personality. I was laughing for days when I first saw this at a car boot sale)

Figment wrote:
    it was immediate family and close friends that we hat at our meal. It went great.

What exactly do you mean by immediate family. just brother/ sisters and parents?

if so my wedding will only be 9. on both sides however if we included our extended familys like our cousins and aunts/unlces its going to be over 100.
    As much as I love my sisters and my parents and his family I think I would like to share the wedding cermony, which to me will be the most important part of the day, with more that 10 people.

And Sorry i missed the fact that you invited close friends. Thats all i will be doing. even then my close friends and his close friends add up to another 30. This i think is managable.

• Advertisement

Just brothers, sisters, parents and grandparents.
    We both have large families so that alone put the number at 21.
    Everyone else then came to the afters and a great party was had :)

well thats all thats important and inviting less people is going to reduce costs as long as it doesnt reduce the couples enjoyment of the day then i'm all for it.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

There was a very good article on reducing wedding costs in July's edition of Consumer Choice, the magazine published by the Consumer's Association of Ireland.

It has all sorts of useful tips in it, like not telling the venue that it's for a wedding but just a big party, as they often add extra when they hear the "w" word. They also have a big piece on insurance for the day.

It'd be well worth getting your hands on a copy to have a look through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 DrP

Well last year I got married twice - once in a regsitry office in Switzerland where I now live, and then did the church wedding in Ireland a month and a half later. It didn't cost the earth and we saved loads by staying well away from most things peple would consider part of the traditional wedding. And as the bride I enjoyed both days enormously - couldn't have been better.

Where we saved money:

Made as much as we could ourselves (with helf of friends and family where necessary): all the invitations, mass books, thank you cards, the wedding cakes

The clothes
    Wedding 1: dress was one I had bought in a sale a year previously.
    Wedding 2: Made my own dress, and tops for the bridesmaids to match - the rest was bought and not for 100s of € either.
    We also did our own hair, make-up etc

Didn't go with rented suits for the men - not my thing or theirs so everyone was happier off and more comfortable to boot.

A friend of my mothers who is good at flower arranging did the bouquets and arrangements. She was able to buy the flowers direclty from the wholesaler/importer and even though we paid for those the actual work was her wedding present to us.

Didn't get a photographer - a few friends did some photographs and videos for us and everyone at the wedding gave us coies of their photos. We've so many photos now - mostly all excellent I must say.

Didn't do the hotel thing. In both cases we had the wedding around lunch time. Afternoon activities were then planned: Wedding 1 boat trip on the nearby lake to a local wine producer, wine tasting for the afternoon (and yes the Swiss make some excellent wines) Wedding 2 - went to Bunratty folk park where we got some fab photos and then admittedly half of us spent half the afternoon in the pub - but we had a laugh

Then in both cases we then went to a restaraunt for the rest of the recpetion. I like good food so for me this was definitely the best decision. My sisters play guitar and sing so they provied the entertainment afterwards (along with the rest of guests - all of us were nicely merry at that stage).

But I guess the biggest saving was in terms of numbers. We only invited immediate family, our uncles and aunts and a few cousins (only those we are closest too) and our best friends. No buisness colleagues, friends of parents, neighbours etc. We made it known from day one that we were having a small family orientated wedding - no one took offence. In both case our numbers ended up in the mid 30s.

At the end of the day I had two days that I will always cherish. I wouldn't change a thing about them and would basically advise everyone I know to go with what you want and not what you feel is expected of you so if you feel like doing something a bit different go for it - it's your day out and it should be what you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭branners69

My saving tips are:

Head to Lantz's for all your wedding stationery such as invites etc. They have bargain bins which have last years stock for a great price!!

Check with your hotel about corkage prices for the wine/champagne. Then wait for Dunnes or Tescos to have a special on their wines, something like 25% back in points.

Check wedding magazines in the shop for vouchers off suits and other such offers. Dont buy the mag unless you are gonna get a decent voucher, I got a €100 off my Black Tie suit.

For the ladies buy your bridesmaid dresses online, go into the Irish shops to get the sizes and styles then go here to order it. My missus got two dress for €450 whilst the shops in Dublin wanted €450 for one!! She got them 8 weeks after ordering them and then got them fitted here!!

If your buying cameras, ring cushions, pew ends for church, table centre pieces or pretty much anything check out ebay.

Thats all I can think of for the moment!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 sbk

Hey, we just got married last month and although the whole thing still cost us an arm and a leg, we did cut costs. Here's what we did, hope it helps:

1: We didn't have a wedding list and if anyone asked, we (or our parents etc) tried to explain that what we needed was to do up the apt and pay of the wedding so cash would be best.

2: The only kinda wedding list we had was in Trailfinders where some of our guests paid towards our honeymoon - great help.

3: The music in the church was sung/played by my friends (i'm lucky to have some fairly talented mates)

4: We used a car belonging to my father in law.

5: We designed and made our invites ourselves - i know this is some peoples idea of hell, but i'm into that stuff and loved it (although i'm not too sure if it was cheaper in the end)

6:Bought a fair amount of stuff on ebay - cameras for the tables/my veil etc.

7: A friend of ours is a DJ so his wedding pressie was his services when the band finished up.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭newwifey

we got married recently on avery tight budget. Only had 60 to the reception just parents siblings aunts uncles and best friends. no cousins or work colleagues. Had a great day as we each knew everyone there.

Travelled to dublin for the flowers in smithfield and saved a packet. Mum arranged them.

Bought my dress second hand form a lady in galway that sells second hand dresses from her home.

Rented a bmw from enterprise rent-a-car. Got married on the friday and kept it for spinning around on the saturday. Because the office was closed on the sunday and the monday (bank holiday) we got to keep it till tuesday morning and it only cost about 300 quid

Got a pal to make the cake and my aunt decorated the room with balloons etc after the mass but before the meal started.

Borrowed the veil from a firend

Bought our table decdorations and favours from ebay.

Bought our wine up north. Wolfblass costing 11.50 in dunnes was bought for €5.00 in enniskillen!

Argued absolutely with the hotel corkage, meal prices, kids meals, free rooms for parents etc

The only things we splashed out on was the photos and the rings. The way we looked at it was the wedding only lasted one day but the photos and rings would be around for ever...i hope!

Advertisement