Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Man speech

Options
  • 18-07-2006 5:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

Folks - Just wondering if you have any do's and don'ts for my brother's speech Saturday week. Never done it before, don't really have any dirt on the brother or his future wife for content and I am crap at telling jokes. I know to try and keep it short, between 7-10mins - but that is an awfull lot of talking to a room full of people.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Misty Moon

I think the line from the film Wedding Crashers is good advice - something about making sure the speech is from the heart rather than trying to be funny.

It's very true that often the funny stories you remember are ones which only a small number of people will be in on. It happened to me at a friend's wedding. She married a German guy and his father decided to tag an impromptu speech onto the end of the speeches from everyone else. I was dragged up to translate for him and he made a reference to something which had happened a few years before which was a standing joke in their family but no-one except my friend, her husband, his brother and parents knew anything about so it made absolutely no sense to anyone else at all.

And don't worry too much about the amount of time - a sincere 3-minute speech will go down much better than 10 minutes of waffle. Get yourself a loan of a dictaphone or similar and record yourself speaking for say five minutes. You'd be amazed how quickly the time goes. Remember that making a speech it's good to try and speak slowly and distinctly so you might not fit as much in to the time as you would in a normal conversation.

Good luck.

Oh, also try the forums at www.weddingsonline.ie for ideas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 memyselfandi

Thanks alot Misty - I like the bit 'from the heart'.

I have already been practicing some pieces with the best dictaphone in the world, my wife.

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭sapper

I've got to do a speech as groom next week and in preparation I did an evening course on public speaking a few months ago. From that I gained a few points - firstly, I agree with the poster above and the Wedding Crashers, a simple, genuine, complementry speech goes down a lot better than a few jokes lifted from the internet, secondly you should definitely practice, but don't try to learn your speech by heart or try and stick to the exact same words every time. It sounds forced and boring.

When we were doing our course, we would always get homework to prepare a speech for the following week. Everyone obviously spent a good bit of time writing them out and getting them ready beforehand. We'd read/recite our speeches during the first half of the class and then our teacher would invariably ask us to come back after the break and give the speech again, but from the opposite viewpoint - the speeches with only 5 minutes preparation always sounded a lot better then the prepared ones.

I'm using my cameraphone to tape myself practising the speech - the first time I even bored myself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭ScottishDanny

Please don't finish with the stock line 'May all your troubles be little ones' - I've heard that at more weddings than 'The feast of Canaa' and 'Eagles Wings' combined! ;)

Basically talk the guy up, he's your mate - say what a great spud he is, how great she is, they deserve each other, bridesmaids look great etc. No need to be crude usually leaves you looking stupid. Do a checklist of people to mention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Jagera

Spot on Danny. I did a best mans speech a while back.. first thing i did was look on the internet for some gags, but they just didn't feel worthy of my best mate. so i just bigged him and his mrs up for the whole speech, and the gags ended up coming out anyway!! no in-jokes.. just impromptu stuff..

for the original poster.. practise as much as you can.. but also look at the crowd and you will pick up on what's making them laugh, and capitalise on it.!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement