Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying stuff in a chain store

Options
  • 13-10-2019 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,419 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has ever been successful in bargaining/haggling in the likes of Harvey Norman or EZ Living Interiors if buying multiple items?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,282 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If you are spending in the thousands, you will get a definite discount. Less than that and the discount would be modest.

Make a general list of what you would like. Go in when it's quiet (e.g. midweek morning) and you have time to talk to the sales people. Ask them what items they have that are of particular value (e.g. I got a display model microwave for half price and I still have it 20 years later) or whether they can do a bundled offer. Ask about warranties, delivery, fitting services, taking away old appliances, etc. - this is very important.

Then make a list of exactly what you want. Type it up with the exact specification (model, size, power rating, colour, etc.) and print it out. Go to the different shops an ask them what they can do for you. You might be able to hustle them for another 5% off their discounted offer, but after that be aware you may be seen as trouble. :)

Item Price
    Fridge model 4534 €_______
    Dishwasher model 675 €_______
    Oven model 4534 €_______
    Microwave model 876 €_______
    Sub-total €_______
    Discount €_______
    Total €_______

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Certainly Power City will do a deal and match a lower price you saw elsewhere.
    But if looking for a decent cut I think you would have to deal with independent non chain stores. The chain store are very corporate and the whole pricing regime is dictated from above

Victor wrote: »
    If you are spending in the thousands, you will get a definite discount. Less than that and the discount would be modest.

Make a general list of what you would like. Go in when it's quiet (e.g. midweek morning) and you have time to talk to the sales people. Ask them what items they have that are of particular value (e.g. I got a display model microwave for half price and I still have it 20 years later) or whether they can do a bundled offer. Ask about delivery, fitting services, taking away old appliances, etc. - this is very important.

Then make a list of exactly what you want. Type it up with the exact specification (model, size, power rating, colour, etc.) and print it out. Go to the different shops an ask them what they can do for you. You might be able to hustle them for another 5% off their discounted offer, but after that be aware you may be seen as trouble. :)

Item Price
    Fridge model 4534 €_______
    Dishwasher model 675 €_______
    Oven model 4534 €_______
    Microwave model 876 €_______
    Sub-total €_______
    Discount €_______
    Total €_______

Thats good advice but its not all about price. Look at warranties especialy for the heavy use appliances like washing machines. Some will give you extra years parts and labour which are useful particularly if you are in the rental game

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭johntune

Just wondering if anyone has ever been successful in bargaining/haggling in the likes of Harvey Norman or EZ Living Interiors if buying multiple items?

Yes we emailed a lot of them with our requests. We were specific in what models we wanted. We got a very good deal off of currys.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,282 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Edgware wrote: »
    Thats good advice but its not all about price. Look at warranties especialy for the heavy use appliances like washing machines. Some will give you extra years parts and labour which are useful particularly if you are in the rental game
    One has to be careful about warranties. Some extended warranties are considered to be poor value for money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,419 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

johntune wrote: »
    Yes we emailed a lot of them with our requests. We were specific in what models we wanted. We got a very good deal off of currys.

Did you email individual stores or a central office email address?

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭johntune

Did you email individual stores or a central office email address?

It was to the central email address listed on the websites.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Did it in power city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

I got free installation from DID when buying my kitchen appliances there, it worked out at about a 10% discount of the total spend. This was after getting them to price match a few appliances as well.

I made a list of what I wanted and emailed it to all the chains, and then haggled down from their quoted price. All done over email and then visited a nominated store to pay the bill and arrange delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Rdwrer

We got a discount when we bought nearly everything for the house from EZ Living. Not sure was it 5%, but it was a few hundred quid off. And to show you how much these places make; we wanted to get 2 memory foam pillows which were €130 each, but he said he would give them to us for cost, which was €32!!!
    Victor wrote: »
    One has to be careful about warranties. Some extended warranties are considered to be poor value for money.

Yup. Extended warranties are a total gimmick. Electronic goods usually follow the bathtub curve, meaning if it hasn't broken down in the first year it will probably last 5+ years.

350px-Bathtub_curve.svg.png

• Advertisement

Rdwrer wrote: »
    We got a discount when we bought nearly everything for the house from EZ Living. Not sure was it 5%, but it was a few hundred quid off. And to show you how much these places make; we wanted to get 2 memory foam pillows which were €130 each, but he said he would give them to us for cost, which was €32!!!

Yup. Extended warranties are a total gimmick. Electronic goods usually follow the bathtub curve, meaning if it hasn't broken down in the first year it will probably last 5+ years.

350px-Bathtub_curve.svg.png

My friend bought a fridge freezer for 15 pound in a house clearance sale and got over 20 years out of it. ( he would still have it but his leech of a wife wanted an American style one)

Advertisement