Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Have you ever judged someone positively only to find out they're an as*hole?

• 15-06-2017 7:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭

We usually hear stories of the opposite where you for example a girl in tracksuits, dyed hair, harsh voice sits next to you on the bus with her kids and you think she must be scamming the welfare system only to learn she's getting actually going to DIT to get a degree that will lift her out of poverty (True story by the way).

Seldom do we hear about stories where you meet someone nice and cute only to learn that they tried to strangle their brother/sister to death in their youth. I know this scenario happens a lot in relationships with women and abusive men but I'm wondering if you've had this unfortunate experience with any friends, peers, teachers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,690 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Well, I know a poster on Boards whom I took to be reasonable and decent, until I learned that if he saw a girl in tracksuit, dyed hair, harsh voice sitting on a bus with her kids, he thought she must be scamming the welfare system. ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Harsh voice? It's not her fault if she can't sing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

There was this teacher at our school who was really sound. He turned out to be a criminal master mind meth cook !! And a proper c*nt at that.

Yeah, close friend, turned out she was pretty horrific. A few unpleasant things didn't stack up, she had lied about her knowledge about a very nasty business involving money stolen from very vulnerable people, when confronted she got hysterical and threatened suicide, screwed over another good friend etc. Never sure was she horrific all along or did something change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Dyed hair? THE HORROR.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Funkfield

Thinly veiled Leo Varadkar thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Funkfield wrote: »

Can we not just have an ordinarily veiled thread for a change ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

Nope, when I meet people they start high on my assholeometer, and only move towards normalisation, into soundhood, by their actions and utterances should they prove to not be arseholes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Yeah. I do tend to give people the benefit of the doubt because I dislike making judgments about people based on what someone else said (had it done against me, it was awful). But sometimes I find out that they were entirely right and I am entirely wrong. One situation will stay with me, and I cut that person out of my life eventually.

I rarely regret giving people a shot, even when it seems inevitable in hindsight that I was going to get hurt by it. On the flipside, I believed someone (heh, actually the person I'm referencing above) about someone else, a friend, and it ended our friendship over time. I was wrong in that case and I wronged the other guy. >.> I was also wrong about her and that's one of the consequences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

When I repeated the Leaving many years ago, the 3 or 4 schools in my town had just started a programme to 'centralise' the Leaving repeats to one school (but certain classes were in the other schools).

One lad from the local, expensive fee-paying school seemed grand, and was a really well-regarded singer, of the church and operatic variety. I noticed that he didn't really talk to many people in the class, even though he wasn't the loner type. I was one of the few people he would talk to, for some strange reason. I think he didn't speak to the others out of condescension, not wanting to lower himself to their level.

Anyway, he eventually started telling me stories about what himself and a friend of his got up to. There's an estate near where he lives where the front row of houses faced a grassy embankment on the other side of the road, and with his friend, a few times they'd make wooden crosses, stick the onto the embankment, set them alight (? la KKK) and then ring a few doorbells, a run off to watch to see if it freaked out the people living there. Okay, not the worst but it was an early indicator of what was to come.

The worst one was the story of how he and his friend had a kitten in a field nearby, set it alight, and tried to play tennis with it, trying to fling the burning kitten at each other with tennis racquets. To me that was a sign of a sociopath. Even if he was making up the story, it showed how his mind worked.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

jeanjolie wrote: »
    We usually hear stories of the opposite where you for example a girl in tracksuits, dyed hair, harsh voice sits next to you on the bus with her kids and you think she must be scamming the welfare system only to learn she's getting actually going to DIT to get a degree that will lift her out of poverty (True story by the way).

Seldom do we hear about stories where you meet someone nice and cute only to learn that they tried to strangle their brother/sister to death in their youth. I know this scenario happens a lot in relationships with women and abusive men but I'm wondering if you've had this unfortunate experience with any friends, peers, teachers.

I've judged you to be a sh1tehawk based on this post. Let's see how that goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Mod: Oy, Ciaran_B. How it goes is that you get eyeballed by a mod for making personal comments about posters! I'm presuming it was a joke, but knock it off there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

jeanjolie wrote: »

Bit judgemental, no?
    Funkfield wrote: »

This fúcker keeps surprising me.
    First, he went under my gaydar, I'm straight so probably not that big a deal but it thought it was more finely tuned.
    But secondly, I was actually shocked to hear he was a bloody Indian - I thought he was eastern European of some sort!

Basically we have a member of the village people running the country and somehow the bastard snook up on me!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭The Diddakoi

Rolf Harris :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Sure who hasn't played tennis with a burning cat, grand bunch of lads

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

No, I tend to see through the sycophantic, ingratiating stuff that others fall for.

I tend to give people a good bit of leeway since none of us are perfect. Everyone lets others and themselves down sometimes, I know I've been disappointed in myself plenty of times and haven't always behaved perfectly, so it would be hypocritical to expect others to never do the same. I'd start off positively with most people, and it would take fairly consistently adverse behaviour or opinions for me to write someone off.

There'll always be people I don't warm to, but it's probably more of a failing of mine than theirs and it doesn't necessarily mean I think they're a-holes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,650 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

The odd time the better angels of my nature make me suppress that gut instinct feeling I usually get about whether someone is an arsehole or not. I usually give people the benefit of the doubt at first, but sometimes d'ya ever just get that feeling that someone's a dickhead - it turns out to be right an awful lot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

I remember watching those Naked Gun movies and thinking that black fella looks like he'd be good fun to be around.

Advertisement