Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diamond Insurance

Options
  • 12-10-2001 6:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭

Well I recently saw an ad for an english insurance company called Diamond Insurance. And to my surprise this ad stated it's only for women. I was just thinking is this legal, I mean if there was an insurance company just for men there would be outrage!
    I'm not a driver but his still peed me off.

I mean I don't get the whole idea that some things are just for men, womens rights group swarm in and picket the place and things like that. I mean us men are just supposed to sit back and accept this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Diabolus

I aggree...

But heres another question..
    Now that they want equality and all thta goes with it..
    Who gets a life boat if the Ship is sinking???
    Men and Children First??
    ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

They've got statistics which prove that women are safer insurance risks than men, so they've set up a sub-branch of a larger insurance company to cater specifically for women. I fail to see what the problem is; its ultimately just marketing. They've chosen females as the demographic they're pushing their product towards... What's the issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭El Marco

What i was just at the time it didn't seem legal, with the whole equality for all and stuff, and it sorta píssed me off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

No its not illegal- any insurer has the discretion to asses the risk of a potential customer and agree to write it or not!

The only piece of legislation in Ireland that would force an insurer to take the client is if the man (as an example) applied to them 1st for car insurance and they rejected him and then subsequently applied to 4 other companies and was also rejected, there is a legal obligation on the 1st company who rejected to accept the risk. They can of course still name their price and charge a high premium but they MUST write his risk!

The reason for this is obviously the govt.s desire not to have uninsured drivers and this provision was enacted in the 1960's when drivers found it difficult to get insurance amd would potentially be going to over 20 companies w/ no luck:( As for the equality thing, as stated Insurance companies have the discretion to pick their clients whether we like it or not!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

LMAO!!!

A slogan.. hehe:

GET A SEX CHANGE!
    The money you'll save on insurance will be worth it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Insurance tends to be a bit mad at they best of times. I was reading my policy today and apparantly if you catch a Disease (capital "D" for some reason) in my car you're covered on my insurance! That's good to know isn't it? It's not that figgen dirty! I can't figure out if they're accusing me of spreading STDs in my car ;)

Another thing that caught my eye was my third party extension (which allows me to drive other cars on my insurance) doesn't apply to Jeeps and Land Rovers. Since my sister drives a Misubishi (Pajero) I guess I'm covered then. :rolleyes:

I assumed it's trying to say I'm not covered to drive off-roaders, but you'd think with all the solicitors they hire and all the legal jargon in the document, something that ambigious wouldn't be allowed. If I was less cynical I'd be confident of winning if I used it as grounds to make a claim.

Advertisement