Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Derren Brown

Options
  • 14-04-2010 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭

If you wish to see this genius in action,go to adverts.ie, still a few tickets for fridays show...cant wait!:D

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

heading up on saturday myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Carl Sagan

Was at his show last night. It was fantastic. I'm at a loss for words really!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

I'm going tonight I can't wait tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

I saw it the other night - incredible showmanship. I'm completely mystified by some tricks.

At the end he asked us all not to tell people what's in the show, which was a pretty good idea! But I was well glad to have some friends there so we could chat about what had happened and how he did it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Linguo

We had an amazing time last night, he's a genius:D:D:D Hope everyone going tonight has a fab time!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

man I wish I could have gone to this, the man's my hero.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I was at the show last night, the whole show was good, but the last 5 minutes was unbelievable!
    Someone tell me that he doesn't use plants in the audience? If he does, it would completely ruin it for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

Yeah, I'm fairly certain he doesn't use plants, imagine the shreds that his reputation would be in if a single plant was to be revealed.

Personally, I think he uses a mixture of misdirection, suggestion, technowizardry and preparation... and I looong to know how he does it! But for all I know, it could be magic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

edanto wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm fairly certain he doesn't use plants, imagine the shreds that his reputation would be in if a single plant was to be revealed.

Personally, I think he uses a mixture of misdirection, suggestion, technowizardry and preparation... and I looong to know how he does it! But for all I know, it could be magic.

Great! In that case the whole show was unreal! The best €40 I've ever spent!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

Was given tickets to the show last night for Christmas. Absolutely unbelievable from beginning to end. The show started on such a high that I thought there was no way he'd keep up the energy, it had "peaked" too soon (he even said so on stage!). But man, it didn't drop off for a second, and the ending was typically amazing, how he did it I just don't know.

He spent 3 hours on stage in total, which was great. Well, well worth the ticket price.

Completely jealous of the people that are at tonight's show right now!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Just back from tonight's. It was really great! So glad I've got to see him live as I've been a fan of him on tv for ages.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

I'm just back from tonights show and I can tell you the childhood memory trick wasn't a plant because it was me :)

even without getting called up I was just blown away.

His tricks literally cause head scratching, and as for the end Jesus!

ziedth wrote: »
    I'm just back from tonights show and I can tell you the childhood memory trick wasn't a plant because it was me :)

That's fab. Tanks for posting. I presume he somehow managed to see what you'd written without us noticing. Often what he pretends is mind-reading is actually oldfashioned magicianship (still great though). Can I ask how much detail you wrote - did you mention where you were and the team you were playing against?

It's wierd,

I didn't even mention Waterford or even think it and he wrote it on the card he gave me.

I literally put "playing football miss kicked goal kick went to other team and they scored and we lost. Game was in annestown"

one think I will say is it must be something todo with the writing because he took it off me after the trick but in the otherhand my writing is terrible at the best if times and I was shaking like a leaf until I relaxed a bit.

Still though it's a very impressive trick!

I was delighted cause I'm a huge huge fan of his. Seen all his shows etc and this was my first time seeing him live.

One other note on stooges I'd there is no way in he'll he knows where he is throwing that frisbee cause you can only barely make out the front row on stage due to the lights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Bart Roberts

Had tickets to the show. Went up to the door with my gf and turns out our tickets were for Friday, gutted! Completely sold out so couldnt do anything for us.:(

Was convinced we had Sat tickets and didnt even check. Wont make that mistake again!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

Was at last night's show also, enjoyed it. Have to ask something for anyone who was sitting in the circle- did you have any problems with the sound?

The sound in the first half was terrible - lots of echo and reverb where I was sitting. I could only hear about 30% of what he was saying. It actually totally ruined the first half of the show for me - very disappointed as I had bought 5 tickets and brought my whole family. I thought this new theater was specifically designed for acoustics.

We were sitting front row circle right beside the wall.

PS Bart hard luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

ouch, thats terrible Bart, very sorry!

Think I may travel to UK to see this one, unless he's bringing it back again?!

I was on the stalls last night and the sound was perfect. I can see how it would ruin it for ya though.

zuroph I have a feeling that the show is coming to an end because the program says his "upcoming" events show on ch4.

It is def worth a look if you can make it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

Mr.S wrote: »
    Was far from sold out, lots of gaps everywhere!

It wasn't sold out, but it looked at least 90% sold from where I was sitting.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

was at the show last night.
    I'm blown away , fantastic.

The showmanship was superb , best i've seen on tv or live.
    To the guy who got picked out to describe his childhood memory : you and the girl with the dead relative are pretty much the 2 biggest things i cannot get my head around at all.totally baffled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭conf101

Was at lastnight's show too and was blown away!

First half: Good, very impressive, especially the box trick!
    Second half: WOW!

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭SMCG

ziedth thanks for posting, on the way home my husband and I were sayin - if only we knew how much that guy wrote on his note! Brill that you came on here and told us! Loved the show :-)

Your very welcome,

Even though he stresses he doesn't use them a part of me always thought he might use plants so I was delighted to see he doesn't because it's the worst kind of magic IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Agree with everything has been said here, fantastic show. Great value too as €40 for 3 hours and was glued to what he was dong for the entire duration.

On his website there and tickets still for sale for most of the shows if not all in the UK. If anyway is over there and does not have a ticket, I would get one now. You would nearly think I worked for him!

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jossnjuice

Had tickets to the show. Went up to the door with my gf and turns out our tickets were for Friday, gutted! Completely sold out so couldnt do anything for us.:(

Was convinced we had Sat tickets and didnt even check. Wont make that mistake again!!

ha i was standing beside you when it happened!! fairly well dressed and dolled up for the evening and all???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
    Brilliant!!! And I'm the one who told him to go, 'Bart', this has made my day!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

jossnjuice wrote: »
    ha i was standing beside you when it happened!! fairly well dressed and dolled up for the evening and all???
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
    It just gets better and better!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Bart Roberts

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
    It just gets better and better!!!
    your actually like a gimp!
    jossnjuice wrote: »

Yea that would have been us alright, standing there like spare tits!

Derren's own thoughts on the Dublin shows (http://derrenbrown.co.uk/blog/2010/04/dublin/)
    Dublin audiences have a certain mischief about them absent in Belfast, and probably anywhere else I’ve come across. The Grand Canal Theatre was wonderful: it has only been open a few weeks in there, and it is great to play. And a long time coming: the crumbling Olympia has its charm, (it’s a unique experience to perform with rain coming in through a hole in the roof onto the stage), but the new theatre, part of the O2 empire, is a triumph. My voice (thank you for the well-wishes) has become stronger, but I still have to be careful to rest it before and after shows.

The final night in Dublin was not as raucous as I expected. The final night was not the best, (a certain punch was lost in aspects of the second half) , but the crowds each night were marvellous, oddly giggly and very demonstrative. There is another unique aspect to performing there: evenings out start late in that city, and a 7.30 advertised starting time, I was told by locals, is taken as 7.30 for 8. Each night, ready and poised to start the show as 7.30 on the dot, we were still awaiting around 600 people. Each night I eventually walked out around 7.50. I’m not aware of this happening elsewhere, and am unsure whether we should advertise it for 8 next year, or whether that will be taken as an 8.30 start… A curious but somehow fitting idiosyncrasy of that very special city. And the Guinness… oh yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Livoc

Looking for 2 tickets for Derren Brown's Svengali show in the Grand Canal Theatre on either 29/30/32 March 2012?....Anyone out there selling??

Advertisement