Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries

Options
  • 05-12-2016 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭

Pre-alpha demo footage of MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries, announced during the keynote presentation at Mech_Con 2016.

In MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries you will adopt the role of a rookie MechWarrior pilot thrust into combat as the Third Succession War continues to fracture the Inner Sphere. Take contracts from the factions of your choosing and engage in tactical, first-person, PvE ‘Mech combat through an immersive, career-based Mercenary campaign driven by player choice. Victory, prestige, and profit will not only require skill on the battlefield, but in the acquisition, maintenance, and enhancement of your BattleMechs.

Set for release in 2018, MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries is under development by a dedicated team at Piranha Games. MechWarrior Online, Piranha’s existing F2P multiplayer-focused tactical ‘Mech combat game, will continue its ongoing live development by the MWO team at Piranha.

http://www.mw5mercs.com/

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,266 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

That makes for two upcoming Mech games with BattleTech hopefully coming out in 2017. Having played Mechwarrior online and seeing the level of dedication by Harebrained studios to really capture the original game rules it looks like we're in for two smashing games!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,162 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Woohoo, was just thinking about Mechwarrior 2 the other day...and I hadn't heard of the turn based battletech game either :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,734 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Havent played a decent mechwarrior game since MechWarrior 3

Wow, 17 years ago :/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

I've been hurt before so I'm doing my best to manage expectations this time around. In any case, I'm still pretty pumped for another single player Mechwarrior game coming on top of the already announced Battletech game. Now all we need is a new MechCommander to scratch that real time tactics itch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

Ohh lawdy lawd.

I've wanted this for so long. If they make it anything like MW2 Mercenaries I will be in total heaven.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I don't know how well it was regarded by MechWarrior fans, but i absolutely loved MW4. The live action cut scenes, revenge story and some excellent fights, it's my favourite of the games alongside MW2. Delighted to see the series getting some love.

Can't wait to pilot the best Mech ever made...The Timber Wolf :)

hqdefault.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,881 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I'd love to see them make a proper RPG out of it, sounds very promising...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,266 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Kiith wrote: »
    Can't wait to pilot the best Mech ever made...The Timber Wolf :)
    Sorry but I see your Timber Wolf and raise you a Blood Asp A configuration...

20120623233829!Blood_Asp.jpg
    Double ER PPCs and Heavy Lasers with jumpjets, guiding computer and ECM suit on a 90 ton assault mech (or as I ran them with Quad Clan ER PPCs)... Say hello to my little friend...

Timberwolf might be the best looking but in action I always found it a bit mediocre.

I was partial to the shadowcat myself

514px-Shadowcat.jpg

Light, fast and moderately armed

• Advertisement

Anyone remember Earthsiege and Earthsiege 2? Really good mech games aswell, Earthsiege 2 especially. The combat was so satisfying, I used to love filling all my weapons slots with particle cannons then triggering them all at once to cut off an enemies legs:

According to wiki that universe went on to develop into Starsiege and Tribes! I never knew that...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

This will be released in 3 years as a mediocre, Free-to-play, PVP only game.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

They've already confirmed that it is single player only, and will be a full priced title. We'll have to wait and see if that stays the case, but they are saying all the right things so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Ah I'm just being a cynic because that's what happened after they released an amazing trailer in 2009 that had me all excited for about 2 years. It ended up becoming MWO which was an awful disappointment. The things you could do with a MechWarrior game with modern tech and game design nous... It could be glorious if the right group did it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

So thought id bump this as its out December 10th on the Epic Store.

It has me interested. Framerates look poor with all the alpha effects from what ive seen of it but hopefully thats something they can fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Looks really good but maybe a bit deep on the management side of things compared to previous games in the series.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Review posted by Rock Paper Shotgun

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Jayd0g

Review posted by Rock Paper Shotgun

Thanks for sharing. Comments below the article are a good read too!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Game looks like something on a console from 5 years ago and yet runs at 60fps@1440p with a 2070.

I've only just done the intro (it's terrible) and I'm not overly inspired so far.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

• Advertisement

Game looks like something on a console from 5 years ago and yet runs at 60fps@1440p with a 2070.

I've only just done the intro (it's terrible) and I'm not overly inspired so far.

thought so too, storywise its bland, gameplay is lot better but not without massive flaws too. Which will hopefully patched, they can be and i hope they will soon.

Enemy mechs and other units literally spawn beside you on most missions. There is Zero point in playing a long range class like a missileboat or ACstacking, everything is about close-up damage in the game.. which is fine if that's your thing.

Autocannons used to absolutely shred mechs to pieces in previous incarnations of the series, difficult to aim but a salvo of AC20 in the back generally meant dead or critically damaged/disabled mech, it just doesnt work like that at the moment.

Mechs feel like wetpaper when you're taking damage and hard as old coffin nails when you're dealing damage.

It needs a few patches to sort that kind of thing out before being actually worth the 40quid.

It's not bad for what it is, but it made me miss Battletech and Mechwarrior 3 more than anything else.

They got the feel of walking around in a bigass robot right, even when you're in a light mech.
    They nailed destructible buildings, it's actually loads of fun blowing them up and even walking through them.
    Mission structure and voice acting is good.
    Rep rewards are negotiation points, which work with salvage.
    There's a "levelling system" but no choose-able points or abilities, you basically just "get better" at doing things.
    Effects are great, the sound and visuals feel right.

I've probably made it sound awful, it's not.. but it should have been in beta or at least early access for a longer time. It's done it's just not ready to be played yet.

6.8/10 in it's current state, potentially a lot better if when patched.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

“Reactor Online, Sensors Online, Weapons Online, All systems nominal”

Mid 90s, handed a Battletech starter set from my college game-soc to decipher and then teach people to play. Came back 4 weeks later with 24 custom designed mechs using new edition tech and wiped the entire soc.
    At the transition of my beloved Amiga to the PC I then told a friend who had been there that if they ever made a great Battletech game on the PC I'd finally buy one. Went to his place to try Mechwarrior 1 and those initial lines just stole my fkn heart. I stayed playing it in his house for a week , usually well past him falling asleep. The following week I bought my first PC.
    I downloaded this today after reading the reviews and will try tomorrow, I fully respect and expect the flaws reported. But, “Reactor Online, Sensors Online, Weapons Online, All systems nominal” , I cannot f k n wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

it is very good, but as was said, anything long range is a waste of time, and i am getting very sick of waves and waves of enemies appearing out of no where, only mission types i like are defend and warzone, everything else just turns into 100v4 **** show

I dont agree its good, I think this kind of game has had its day tbh, there are flashes of potential but the feel of being in a multi-storey mech isnt there, it feels like a 10-15 year old game or something that needs another year of polish, I uninstalled after a few hours, I just couldn't be bothered anymore. If you want to make a successful mech game nowadays you're going to need a way more detailed world (stomping on cars, fleeing civilians etc), way more detailed damage modeling, way better mission structures, way better plot. This feels like a 360 or PS3 launch game tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Yeah it does feel quite dated with the way it's structured, and enemy spawning etc. I really like the idea of running a merc outfit but I think the turn based version that came out last year nearly did it better. A game with something like elite dangerous crossed with this would be class

Advertisement