Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Chiropractor" is a protected term but "Accountant" is not?

• 09-12-2019 11:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭

In the UK it appears that chiropractor is a protected term see here and in Ireland it appears their representative body is agitating to have it protectedher aswell. Turns out that Osteopath is an actual protected term in Ireland!

How can it be that an Osteopath is a protected terms and that a Chiropractor which has zero scientific basis could become a protected term and yet "Accountant" which is an actual science practised for hundreds of years is still not a protected term in Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭darklighter

It beggars belief alright.....the powers that be would probably argue that because "Auditor" is a protected term, there is not much point in protecting "Accountant"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

It beggars belief alright.....the powers that be would probably argue that because "Auditor" is a protected term, there is not much point in protecting "Accountant"

Is Auditor a actual protected term or is it just the case that you cannot sign audit reports with a practising cert which is issued by an accountancy body of which you must be a member?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Stratvs

Is Auditor a actual protected term or is it just the case that you cannot sign audit reports with a practising cert which is issued by an accountancy body of which you must be a member?

I suppose it's protected insofar that the ODCE can (and has) taken action and fined persons holding themselves out as auditors while not appropriately authorised.

I believe fadó fadó when Mary Harney was Minister for Enterprise / Industry or whatever then efforts were made to protect the term 'Accountant' and IAASA issued a consultation paper on it in but AFAIK it went nowhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

"Accountant" which is an actual science practised for hundreds of years is still not a protected term in Ireland?

Are you really trying to pretend you're a scientist just because you're an accountant?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,376 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Effects wrote: »
    Are you really trying to pretend you're a scientist just because you're an accountant?

Kaelyn Unsightly Teacup isn't an accountant either.

• Advertisement

Bsc in Accounting. Thank you.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Tickers isn't an accountant either.

Says who?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Similar to engineering I would imagine, engineer isn't protected, Chartered Engineer is.

Stratvs wrote: »
    I suppose it's protected insofar that the ODCE can (and has) taken action and fined persons holding themselves out as auditors while not appropriately authorised.

I believe fadó fadó when Mary Harney was Minister for Enterprise / Industry or whatever then efforts were made to protect the term 'Accountant' and IAASA issued a consultation paper on it in but AFAIK it went nowhere.

The competition authority objected to it at the time https://www.ccpc.ie/business/business/research/submissions/s-06-002-legal-protection-term-accountant/

Says who?

You did in one of your previous threads in this forum. I think it was the Race To the bottom one?

Edit: yep just looked at that thread and you did say it.

• Advertisement

You did in one of your previous threads in this forum. I think it was the Race To the bottom one?

But the term Accountant isn't protected so I can call myself an accountant as could you.

But the term Accountant isn't protected so I can call myself an accountant as could you.

You can call yourself what ever you want but that doesn't mean it's true either. Your not an actual accountant and it would be unethical to portray yourself as one in my opinion.

You can call yourself what ever you want but that doesn't mean it's true either. Your not an actual accountant and it would be unethical to portray yourself as one in my opinion.

That's the whole point of my thread so what part of my posts do you have a problem with?

Lu Tze wrote: »
    Similar to engineering I would imagine, engineer isn't protected, Chartered Engineer is.

But can you open a firm and practice as an engineer without being a Chartered Engineer?

That's the whole point of my thread so what part of my posts do you have a problem with?

No problem with your posts just pointing out to Effects that you weren't actually an accountant as I think they were under the impression you were one.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

The guy is not a qualified accountant, just a trolly who turns up every so often needing attention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 432 ✭✭jus_tin4

I for one, get a great laugh out of the OP posts - brighten up my day after working and not worrying about such trivial things like this thread :)

Jim2007 wrote: »
    The guy is not a qualified accountant, just a trolly who turns up every so often needing attention.

Why are you following me around from thread to thread making personal comments about me rather than contributing to the thread? You hijacked three threads just to make comments about me. You also said that you were going to ignore me but keep making comments on my threads.

Why you mad?

jus_tin4 wrote: »
    I for one, get a great laugh out of the OP posts - brighten up my day after working and not worrying about such trivial things like this thread :)

As an accountant, what's trivial about a thread discussing protection of the term "Accountant"?

Why are you following me around from thread to thread making personal comments about me rather than contributing to the thread? You hijacked three threads just to make comments about me. You also said that you were going to ignore me but keep making comments on my threads.

Why you mad?

Then stop posting nonsense on forum I follow, all you do is create noise.

• Advertisement

Jim2007 wrote: »
    Then stop posting nonsense on forum I follow, all you do is create noise.

What exactly do you have a problem with, your only contribution to the thread is to pass remarks about me? Everything I've posted no this forum is related to accountancy and who made you the arbitrator of what content is acceptable on here, are you a moderator? If you don't agree with what I'm saying then comment as to why you think I'm wrong.

For example, on this thread what exactly is your issue, do you think Accountant should be a protected term or do you come here just to post about me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 432 ✭✭jus_tin4

As an accountant, what's trivial about a thread discussing protection of the term "Accountant"?

Cause it is a difference those it make really make? Your worried about someone setting up as a fake accountant? I couldn’t give too small f’s if someone does it. I have my qualification so I’m happy out. I’d suggest you focus on getting your tbh OP rather than the random topics you been posting recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Stanford

But can you open a firm and practice as an engineer without being a Chartered Engineer?

YES

In the UK it appears that chiropractor is a protected term see here and in Ireland it appears their representative body is agitating to have it protectedher aswell. Turns out that Osteopath is an actual protected term in Ireland!

How can it be that an Osteopath is a protected terms and that a Chiropractor which has zero scientific basis could become a protected term and yet "Accountant" which is an actual science practised for hundreds of years is still not a protected term in Ireland?

The Chiropractors Act 1994 is UK legislation only

For example, on this thread what exactly is your issue, do you think Accountant should be a protected term or do you come here just to post about me?

I think that someone who is not qualified should stop whining about something that does not impact them.

I wonder if those Scientology loons chaps can call themselves auditors - because of that "auditing" thing they do.

This used to annoy me - that accountant wasn't protected - but not anymore.

Were they the same Auditors who gave BoI and Anglo Irish a clean bill of health back in 2007?

Stanford wrote: »
    Were they the same Auditors who gave BoI and Anglo Irish a clean bill of health back in 2007?

In before FAI mentioned

In before FAI mentioned

Good man..!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

Stanford wrote: »
    Good man..!!!!!!!!

It's been years since I worked in practice and Highly unlikely to be an auditor, so have no skin in the game. There's loads of examples from Enron/Worldcom to my own experience and have worked with all sizes of auditors including all big 4 and I'd not have much faith in their reports.

I'm not CPA, but one of the best auditors I worked with was a CPA firm from Limerick.

This issue has been rumbling on for years.

Advertisement