Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Data protection and accounting records

• 17-11-2019 2:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭

Bit of a strange one.

In a job i had, we issued payments like any other company does.

Some of these payments are to suppliers, others are amounts paid to clients for personal things (cheque, cash, transfer) .

The powers that be decided that payee names for payments to clients should not be entered into the accounting system as they're already recorded in a separate crm system that isn't reconciled to the accounts .

As a workaround to this policy , the accounts assistants are asked to enter the crm id number for such payments in the payee field but for a number a reasons this doesn't happen so payee is usually left blank. It can't be added retrospectively once posted

This policy predates gdpr. I think it's a bit crazy. What are your thoughts, is it wrong to enter such info in an accounting system?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

antix80 wrote: »
    Bit of a strange one.

In a job i had, we issued payments like any other company does.

Some of these payments are to suppliers, others are amounts paid to clients for personal things (cheque, cash, transfer) .

The powers that be decided that payee names for payments to clients should not be entered into the accounting system as they're already recorded in a separate crm system that isn't reconciled to the accounts .

As a workaround to this policy , the accounts assistants are asked to enter the crm id number for such payments in the payee field but for a number a reasons this doesn't happen so payee is usually left blank. It can't be added retrospectively once posted

This policy predates gdpr. I think it's a bit crazy. What are your thoughts, is it wrong to enter such info in an accounting system?

No difference really, maybe they thought it would reduce posting times or reconcilation times?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

I'd be more concerned about AML than GDPR with the above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

If the CRM ID can be used to identify someone then it's personal data and needs to be treated just as carefully as their name, so no real benefit to this added complication IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

davindub wrote: »
    No difference really, maybe they thought it would reduce posting times or reconcilation times?

The logic is.. the payments we make are similar to community welfare office payments. And as the accounts are public, and the system doesn't have an accounts payable module so all postings are made directly to the GL, for some reason they think the information may inadvertently end up with the general public.

And further, as the information about the assistance is already captured in the CRM system - "obviously" it's against data protection to also capture it in the financial system.

Steve wrote: »
    I'd be more concerned about AML than GDPR with the above.

Exactly right.
    TheChizler wrote: »
    If the CRM ID can be used to identify someone then it's personal data and needs to be treated just as carefully as their name, so no real benefit to this added complication IMO.

Hadn't thought of it like that. CRM IDs are like DUB123456. And the CRM and finance system are on the same server. The only difference is the auditor has access to the finance system so to me - it's all the more reason to put payee names in the finance system.

I can envisage a year when the auditor decides to audit the CRM records to the accounts and vice versa, and then the fun will begin. We'd avoid this scenario by putting payee info on the finance system.

Thanks for the feedback all.

Advertisement