Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike Test on Thursday :)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

Just got word from a guy in the midlands that tests outside the main cities are going to be very slow indeed, the number of testers on hand to do tests is simply way too low. Even though bike tests started first it doesn't seem to have made a dent on the waiting lists. RSA should not have let test booking continue during the lockdown.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

I mind the backlog when I did my car test 4 years ago. I had a waiting list time of almost 1 year. Got on the cancellation list and had a date within 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Just got word from a guy in the midlands that tests outside the main cities are going to be very slow indeed, the number of testers on hand to do tests is simply way too low. Even though bike tests started first it doesn't seem to have made a dent on the waiting lists. RSA should not have let test booking continue during the lockdown.

There was no need to stop bike testing at all - its a socially distant activity.

There is no reduction in the number of testers on staff, so something else going on here imho....

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 33,687 ✭✭✭✭listermint

back in the day i applied for my test nearly just after completing the IBT. Waiting list then was 3-4 months. No idea where this weeks stuff is coming from.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 HD_Cooney mush

So from the horses mouth,

I just spoke with a lady from the RSA who’s over the scheduling of tests in Tullamore! She said that they ‘have completed scheduling as far as the week of 11th Sept 2020!’

I told her I was urgently awaiting a test date so she moved my particular case to priority so that it will be definitely scheduled with the next lot of dates! She said I should hope to be scheduled for a date at the end of Sept! So fingers crossed!

Anyone the lend of an L vest?

• Advertisement

I think myself its down to location. Some places are Ok and more are just in a mess.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭goblin59

I think myself its down to location. Some places are Ok and more are just in a mess.

I think i lucked out massively getting my test within the first 2 weeks of the centers reopening.
    I was meant to do mine in Tallaght, but i called up and swapped it to Deansgrange when i seen they were on the list to open first.

Might be worth saying to the RSA that you're happy to travel to get a cancellation slot, i don't know if they only notify you of cancellations in the center you were booked in.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 HD_Cooney mush

What headphones did ye use for the test? I’ve my test tommorrow it says mobile phone headphones ‘may’ not work?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

I presume bringing your own headphones is a change because of covid.

Anyway, if they say some mobile headphones, I assume they are talking about iPhone headphones because typical of apple they don't use the accepted standard, but the difference with iPhone headphones is with the mic, and I assume you'll only listening so not sure what the issue could be. If it was me I'd bring a few pairs with me.

What headphones did ye use for the test? I’ve my test tommorrow it says mobile phone headphones ‘may’ not work?

anything without a built in microphone.
    Theyre running a motorola 2 pin and jamming the ear pieces in.

If your headset has a mic. the 3pins f*ck about with the connection.

• Advertisement

zubair wrote: »
    I presume bringing your own headphones is a change because of covid.

Anyway, if they say some mobile headphones, I assume they are talking about iPhone headphones because typical of apple they don't use the accepted standard, but the difference with iPhone headphones is with the mic, and I assume you'll only listening so not sure what the issue could be. If it was me I'd bring a few pairs with me.

My lad passed his test last Thursday :D , so here's my tips:
    • Helmet - move it around, make it obvious (the tape is the simplest trick).
    • Have your rear view mirrors ever-so-slightly off so that you have to make an actual head movement to use them - that way it's obvious you're using them.
    • Std 3.5mm jack headphones. Now, make 100% sure you can hear him - my lads' tester had the mic way off his mouth and made it very difficult for my lad to hear him, and he missed one instruction. Standing in the car park not on the bike you'll hear him, but out on the road not so obviously. Try and use the best fitting ones you have. The ones we had were shoite. Tbh, I think RSA could do better here.

Other than that, turn up early, be relaxed (as you can be), and best of luck with it.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭woody84

I booked my test towards end of June in Cavan, heard nothing yet. Thinking of going on the short notice list but how much notice do they give you? I ask cos I'll be using the instructors bike and he'll need some notice in advance

woody84 wrote: »
    I booked my test towards end of June in Cavan, heard nothing yet. Thinking of going on the short notice list but how much notice do they give you? I ask cos I'll be using the instructors bike and he'll need some notice in advance

My lad got notice on 21st August for a test on 17th September.

Ode To The Motorist

galwaytt wrote: »
    My lad got notice on 21st August for a test on 17th September.

Was he on the short notice list for long?

Was he on the short notice list for long?

Wasn't on the short notice at all.

Ode To The Motorist

galwaytt wrote: »
    Wasn't on the short notice at all.

Ah right, did he just stay on the standard list and wait, or get in on a cancellation?

Ah right, did he just stay on the standard list and wait, or get in on a cancellation?

Not sure, he was just on the waiting list, and then we get the notice. Never got any indication of whether it was on foot of someone else cancelling or not.

Ode To The Motorist

Things are going quiet here in the bike forms lately. Still no word from the RSA about my test here in Kerry. With the winter upon us, I am starting to dread what will happen when the test does come through.

Dan.

Things are going quiet here in the bike forms lately. Still no word from the RSA about my test here in Kerry. With the winter upon us, I am starting to dread what will happen when the test does come through.

Same as that. I've asked to be put on the short notice list but still not a peep

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭myclist

Same as that. I've asked to be put on the short notice list but still not a peep

Mind if i ask when ye applied? Im in kerry too and applied in june . No word yet

myclist wrote: »
    Mind if i ask when ye applied? Im in kerry too and applied in june . No word yet

I'm in Cavan, applied end of June.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

The RSA website says if you tick the short notice option "Please be aware that you may receive your test appointment in as little as 1 to 2 weeks of making your application"
    I have never heard of anyone who got less than 2 weeks notice though.

UrbanFret wrote: »
    The RSA website says if you tick the short notice option "Please be aware that you may receive your test appointment in as little as 1 to 2 weeks of making your application"
    I have never heard of anyone who got less than 2 weeks notice though.

Yeah no-one wants to lose their 85 quid if they can help it.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Rx713B

Yeah no-one wants to lose their 85 quid if they can help it.

My brother clicked this was in the test centre 4 weeks later

myclist wrote: »

I applied a full 12 months ago but three tests were cancelled due to the weather, and of course the COVID. Will be doing the test in Tralee.

Dan.

I've been ringing for cancellations over the last few days, no joy yet but they've been very helpful everytime.

Talked to a very helpful lady this morning from the RSA this who told me motorcycle tests in Cavan are done in batches every so often. Has this been the case for anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

Could be possible due to lack of testers. I did mine in October 2018 and the tester was a Sligo man who travelled down to do the tests in Cavan.

• Advertisement

Could be possible due to lack of testers. I did mine in October 2018 and the tester was a Sligo man who travelled down to do the tests in Cavan.

Yeah, she did mention something about another tester. She said next batch might be in November, hopefully I'm in it

Advertisement