Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway traffic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,349 ✭✭✭xckjoo

I'm curious, does the rule apply both ways, ie cyclists must not undertake without 1.5m clearance?
    There's no 1.5m requirement. It's "dangerous overtaking". So it would be hard for a cyclist to endanger a driver. I think it could technically be applied to a cyclist overtaking another cyclist though. But I'm not sure what that would look like

• Registered Users Posts: 9,537 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

What about damage to cars, wing mirrors, handle bars scraping cars etc?

I've been driving a lot longer than you in heavier traffic than you and I've never had my wing mirror damaged or a handle bar scrape my car. Now as you know from previous threads I'm an excellent driver with good road positioning and excellent awareness.

How many times has your car been damaged by filtering cyclists?
    phelant wrote: »
    Physically at any rate. The way some cyclists carry on is a mental assault to any law abiding motorist.

I know... sailing by the poor mentally assaulted motorists sits in traffic frothing at the mouth. I've seen it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Stopped at traffic lights on the Tuam road today along comes a cyclist straight through the red lights then up onto the footpath all the way through Bohermore to the Square

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Curious Geroge

What's on in town tonight, traffic all over the city

• Registered Users Posts: 25,732 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

What's on in town tonight, traffic all over the city

Christmas jumper day in NUIG. Drunken kids in 'em wandering out in front of traffic all over town.

• Advertisement

There are graduations in NUIG also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭ratracer

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Stopped at traffic lights on the Tuam road today along comes a cyclist straight through the red lights then up onto the footpath all the way through Bohermore to the Square

How many cars did you see break red lights?
    How many drivers did you see on their phone?

See this “them and us” rubbish always crops up, why can’t everyone just share the road? Everybody should be able to get about each day and come home uninjured, regardless of their chosen mode of transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,274 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Christmas jumper day in NUIG. Drunken kids in 'em wandering out in front of traffic all over town.

Students drinking does not cause traffic.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Even the real time signs in eyre square had scrolling note apologising for major delays due to congestion..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,327 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Fairly messy in town tonight. Avoid if at all possible.

• Advertisement

FitzShane wrote: »

Students throwing bottles at cars, jumping out in front of cyclists, and falling over in the street causes major slowdowns.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

Hah, try driving in Eyre square now and tell me that it's like a normal Thursday evening

Students throwing bottles at cars, jumping out in front of cyclists, and falling over in the street causes major slowdowns.

OK.. if this is actually happening, it's unusual and not a regular Galway traffic issue.

(Are there really student jumping out in front of bikes and full on glass bottle throwing at traffic?)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,998 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

John_Rambo wrote: »
    OK.. if this is actually happening, it's unusual and not a regular Galway traffic issue.

(Are there really student jumping out in front of bikes and full on glass bottle throwing at traffic?)

Cycled through the Square a half hour ago and nobody 'jumped out in front of me', didn't witness any throwing of bottles either. Lots of drunk kids around but they're all on they're way down town towards Electric.

Cycled through the Square a half hour ago and nobody 'jumped out in front of me', didn't witness any throwing of bottles either. Lots of drunk kids around but they're all on they're way down town towards Electric.

You obviously weren't entrenched in the SKY NEWS HOTEL that Mrs OBumble is reporting from with her blue helmet.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,274 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Wel for certain Bus Eireann are definitely not trying to help with the traffic issue anyways. There is no incentive for people to take the bus around the city instead of driving. The services are getting worse it anything, in terms of reliability, punctuality and frequency.

This evening, I was trying to get the 405 from eastside towards Eyre Square and while at the stop waiting for bus at 16.00, it didn't show up and the same again at 16.20 and the same again at 16.40. During this time, the app was saying that buses were either coming or else over an hour away. The real time information on the bus Eireann site just said that there was no services at all, if the webpage actually loaded. There is no real time information signs at the majority of stops on the route either.

During all of this, I saw 2 single decker buses drive in the opposite direction to the terminus stop back to back. It's not that far to Hewlett Packard before turning around, probably around a 10 minute journey considering all of the factories finish early on a Friday. About 5 mins after they passed, a double decker who was driving on the route just turned off on a random turn and went 'out of service'.

About 25 mins after they passed, the 2nd of the single deckers arrived and was full. I just about got on. The first bus obviously also decided to go 'out of service'. As we drive towards Eyre Square , the driver was not letting people waiting at other stops onto the bus. They could have also been waiting 50+ mins for that bus. And there was no bus coming behind either as the other 2 were not going to complete the route.

Are Bus Eireann just trying to force people towards driving and adding to the traffic congestion?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,998 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Wel for certain Bus Eireann are definitely not trying to help with the traffic issue anyways. There is no incentive for people to take the bus around the city instead of driving. The services are getting worse it anything, in terms of reliability, punctuality and frequency.

This evening, I was trying to get the 405 from eastside towards Eyre Square and while at the stop waiting for bus at 16.00, it didn't show up and the same again at 16.20 and the same again at 16.40. During this time, the app was saying that buses were either coming or else over an hour away. The real time information on the bus Eireann site just said that there was no services at all, if the webpage actually loaded. There is no real time information signs at the majority of stops on the route either.

During all of this, I saw 2 single decker buses drive in the opposite direction to the terminus stop back to back. It's not that far to Hewlett Packard before turning around, probably around a 10 minute journey considering all of the factories finish early on a Friday. About 5 mins after they passed, a double decker who was driving on the route just turned off on a random turn and went 'out of service'.

About 25 mins after they passed, the 2nd of the single deckers arrived and was full. I just about got on. The first bus obviously also decided to go 'out of service'. As we drive towards Eyre Square , the driver was not letting people waiting at other stops onto the bus. They could have also been waiting 50+ mins for that bus. And there was no bus coming behind either as the other 2 were not going to complete the route.

Are Bus Eireann just trying to force people towards driving and adding to the traffic congestion?

There are quicker options than both bus and car at peak times.

Bus Eireann suffer from congestion too.

It's not in their gift to buy extra busses and hire extra staff.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    You obviously weren't entrenched in the SKY NEWS HOTEL that Mrs OBumble is reporting from with her blue helmet.

Ahh yeah: one of us LIVES in the city centre, and had a great view of lots of yesterday's shyte.

Twitface had plenty for the rest of ye to see, if you bothered opening your eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,527 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

What about damage to cars, wing mirrors, handle bars scraping cars etc?

Because that is generally comparable to a broken spine or pelvis?

• Advertisement

xckjoo wrote: »
    There's no 1.5m requirement. It's "dangerous overtaking". So it would be hard for a cyclist to endanger a driver. I think it could technically be applied to a cyclist overtaking another cyclist though. But I'm not sure what that would look like

Very easy to endanger a pedestrian though.

As the number of cyclists in the road has increased, crossing in apparently stationary traffic has got more fraught.

Very easy to endanger a pedestrian though.

As the number of cyclists in the road has increased, crossing in apparently stationary traffic has got more fraught.

Safe cross code

phelant wrote: »
    Physically at any rate. The way some cyclists carry on is a mental assault to any law abiding motorist.

"mental assault" - there's a new theory. Would you like to expand on this, in the context of the recently released RSA Speed Survey showing that 98% of drivers breaking urban speed limits?

Storm 10 wrote: »

Wow, that must have been scary and disturbing.
    https://twitter.com/vincentbennett1/status/1195491162611757057?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭roytheboyo

Hi All,
    I am at the stage where the traffic is having a major negative impact on my life, and I, for one, would like to take some action.
    We have all been giving out for years, but ultimately just roll over and take it.
    Is there interest in protesting at city council offices? Erecting signs to highlight the impact this is having on people's lives etc.
    The bypass is a decade away even if planning is received, more if a frog or inch of bog cotton has to be disturbed, meanwhile I'm spending 6 to 8 hours per week crossing a river. It's medieval.

Be the change you want to see in the world Roy.

Where are you travelling to and from and when? (Approximately)
    Are there any other factors to consider?(dropping off/collecting kids, carrying tools or having to make more trips during the day etc.)
    How are you travelling now?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,637 ✭✭✭✭zell12

The authorities only have one plan:
    Build more roads for more motorists to be clogged up in.

We've been moaning since the 1960s on congestion and stupid parking everywhere.
    Nothing will change as we are unwilling to change our own behaviour

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭phelant

"mental assault" - there's a new theory. Would you like to expand on this, in the context of the recently released RSA Speed Survey showing that 98% of drivers breaking urban speed limits?

Yeah sure its called actually caring about cyclists and being concerned for their safety when they themselves cannot follow even the most simple of rules. It gets very tiresome. And check the stats all you want, its not in there.

Oh and I must be in the 2% - Woohoo!

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭roytheboyo

I travel over and back several times a day for work, I don't want to make this about me.
    I agree on the public transport bit, the problem is that those arguing against the bypass argue that public transport is required instead of the bypass, they should be arguing it is required as well as the bypass.
    Totally agree about behaviour

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

roytheboyo wrote: »
    Hi All,
    I am at the stage where the traffic is having a major negative impact on my life, and I, for one, would like to take some action.
    We have all been giving out for years, but ultimately just roll over and take it.
    Is there interest in protesting at city council offices? Erecting signs to highlight the impact this is having on people's lives etc.
    The bypass is a decade away even if planning is received, more if a frog or inch of bog cotton has to be disturbed, meanwhile I'm spending 6 to 8 hours per week crossing a river. It's medieval.

It'd be a great idea...in any other town or city than Galway. There either isn't the will or the skill set to change the traffic issues in this city.
    You might as well be protesting against Santa outside City Hall for all the good it would do. And that's nearly as depressing as the traffic.

I'd be in favour of a plebiscite to reallocate the funds for a bypass that may never get built.
    Let an independent body put forward plans for the city...parkn'ride, bus lanes, bike lanes etc and let the citizens vote on it.
    And then follow through on it. If it's one way bus lanes, trams, bike paths and car bans, so be it. Spend the money, get it built.
    Don't let anyone from City Hall within an asses roar of it though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement