Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway 2020 European Capital of Culture

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

At this stage, they should offer it to Limerick, apologise to the people of Galway and then promise not to apply for any more public events that cost more than a fiver and have a possibility to embarrass the city.
    Because that's all it is now. An embarrassment.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,515 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Is there a media blackout or something?
    Very little information coming out given it's only nine months away

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Gingganggooley

zell12 wrote:
    Is there a media blackout or something? Very little information coming out given it's only nine months away

Shussshh. Don't mention the war.

We're trying to keep this embarrassment under wraps.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,957 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Some British company who previously worked with Macnas seem to have taken over the running of it now. It was reported in the Tribune (I think) a couple of months ago.
    They were running an open day for volunteers recently.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/game-is-up-for-city-of-culture-project-as-galway-2020-falls-short-of-target-914290.html

I wonder should we bow out now and not keep spending taxpayers money on what looks like a continuing shambles.

• Advertisement

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/game-is-up-for-city-of-culture-project-as-galway-2020-falls-short-of-target-914290.html

I wonder should we bow out now and not keep spending taxpayers money on what looks like a continuing shambles.

I stopped reading after "Fine Gael councillor Padraig Conneely said"

I stopped reading after "Fine Gael councillor Padraig Conneely said"

Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

Personally can't stand the man. But that doesn't make him wrong.

Has there been any positive output from the 2020 committee in the last few weeks.
    Fresh appointments and fresh initiatives ( fundraising mostly) several weeks ago, but nothing I've heard or seen recently.

I've no gripe with Galway 2020 or using public money to fund it, as long as it's run correctly and open to scrutiny by the public.
    There's was so much nonsense surrounding the Pallas cinema project and the Volvo Ocean race, I'd hate to see the city being mixed up on another mess, or we won't be able to attract other large events or projects here.

Ms Coop and Ms Marriage to the rescue
    3322x6r.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

The Galway 2020 opening ceremony has been pushed to February.
    I'm not allowed to post links yet but it's on RTE News.
    The opening ceremony for Galway’s 2020 European Capital of Culture will not be held until next February.

Galway City Council was told yesterday that a decision had been taken to use the "celtic calendar" for event planning and that this would give the opening ceremony "more of a Celtic feel".

It means that instead of an anticipated marquee launch in early January, the project will not be officially launched until around mid-February.
    CEO Patricia Philbin said the opening ceremony was still a "work in progress" but that it would be a major outdoor event.

She said an exact date for this had yet to be identified.

ChewyLouie wrote: »
    The Galway 2020 opening ceremony has been pushed to February.
    I'm not allowed to post links yet but it's on RTE News.

Tbf, that's a great way to turn a negative into a positive. I hope it's a success.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,473 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

Tbf, that's a great way to turn a negative into a positive. I hope it's a success.

Tbh they are desperately scrambling for more time..

Tbh they are desperately scrambling for more time..

Indeed, and shortening the year by at least 6 weeks, but it's a stroke of genius to sell it as a positive idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

Indeed, and shortening the year by at least 6 weeks, but it's a stroke of genius to sell it as a positive idea.

it is not, it stinks of desperation and by actually having to do this publicly is further endangering the whole project in the public eye and more so to possible investors, the whole project is a joke and we will be remembered as a laughing stock over it, some capital of culture lol

only thing that could save it in my opinion is a project 06 style coming together of real artists from across the county and whoever delivers this deserves a statue placed in the square to be remembered forever because this has monumental failure written all over it

This will go the same as the second Volvo race event. Loads of sniping and complaining beforehand, looking for scapegoats, but once things get underway, it'll all be forgotten and we'll all have a great auld time

This will go the same as the second Volvo race event. Loads of sniping and complaining beforehand, looking for scapegoats, but once things get underway, it'll all be forgotten and we'll all have a great auld time

... and people will be left unpaid forcing small companies into closure?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Very little of the legacy stuff the Volvo Ocean race promised is visible on the Dock Road / Docks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

This is embarrassing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Very little of the legacy stuff the Volvo Ocean race promised is visible on the Dock Road / Docks

The metal fencing between the Dock road and the Dock is one visible legacy element.

Operations Manager has quit - responsible for the day-to-day running of the capital of culture organisation, including finance and risk management.

Think you can do a better? then apply for the job! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭L'Enfer du Nord

This is turning out as I expected so far, only perhaps worse. I expected a load of bickering and budgetry overruns. When 2020 finally arrives all that will be forgotten, the 'culture' will be a bit meh but most people will agree that it was a great party.

The funding and bickering are much worse than expected, eventually this may end up being bailed out by central govt., other arts programmes and projects will have their funding cut to pay for it.

It may still end up being a great party, but its legacy will be bad blood between galway and which ever elements of the artistic community end up having their funding cut to pay for it.

• Advertisement

Today's Indo two page spread
    After a leadership change, and with just months to go, Lorna Siggins finds out how the plans are progressing.
    Nothing reassuring

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

Galway 2020 blunder curtails launch event in Eyre Square
    The long-awaited unveiling of the cultural programme for Galway 2020 European Capital of Culture has hit a glitch – the event licence application was invalidated, because it was submitted too late.

The practical implication of this application mistake is that 3,000 fewer people can attend the launch. Under an event permit, up to 5,000 people are allowed to attend; the capacity crowd for an event with a licence is 8,000.

Doesn't bode well for next year if they can't even organise this properly.

What's the craic with this launch. There seems to be a few drummers performing to the front row at the bottom of the square... What's going on? 25min in and non the wiser if it's started or not...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

What's the craic with this launch. There seems to be a few drummers performing to the front row at the bottom of the square... What's going on? 25min in and non the wiser if it's started or not...

Fireworks promised apparently. At this rate it will be dark which could be what is needed for the fireworks....

• Registered Users Posts: 25,717 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Speeches started now.

After 36mins they finally go on the mic to explain they're waiting to align with the RTE News.... did they not know what time the 6.01 News is on at? And that they wouldn't be going direct to Eyre Square?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭Storm 10

After 36mins they finally go on the mic to explain they're waiting to align with the RTE News.... did they not know what time the 6.01 News is on at? And that they wouldn't be going direct to Eyre Square?

They showed dam all on the news the acrobats tight rope walkers that was it

The performance was great! They should have skipped the speeches, jumped straight into the performance (at 6pm) with no introduction and just had a few lines of voiceover in the first few mins to set the scene.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

Was there any info on their plan for next year? Any events announced?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,717 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

tototoe wrote: »
    Was there any info on their plan for next year? Any events announced?

Nothing announced. Printed programme booklets given out. Lots and lots of events.

Including a large scale choral and orchestral performance of Beethoven's 9th Symphony, in the Cathedral, on 9 December. (I've heard rumours this was coming, this is the first time I've had it confirmed.)

Advertisement