Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noise reducing helmets

Options
  • 14-08-2020 10:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Hi all.

I’m a musician with tinnitus, and a cyclist. I’ve been looking for methods to reduce wind noise in my ears.I currently use a combination of ear plugs and these things called Ear Bags - www dot earbags dot com - which work to a degree, but I’m on the lookout for something better still.

(Can’t post urls cos I’m a new user...)

I wonder if a helmet that covers the ears might be more effective. Something like this, maybe www dot thebikerack dot ie/products/bell-full-flex-dirt-skate-helmet.

This Aero helmet looks like It’d work - www dot kask dot com/en/cycling/helmets/mistral_24_49.htm

While both those helmets cover the ears, I have no idea what their noise reduction properties would be.

Does anybody have any any other suggestions? I can’t be the only person with this problem (wind noise is LOUD over 30km/h - have there been any studies done on hearing loss in cyclists?)

Thanks for any input you might have!

Dave.

EDIT - just to be clearer - it's wind noise I'm trying to suppress, not traffic/ambient noise.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

You can get rigid or flexible ear covers for fitting to the helmet straps - they might be worth investigating. The TT and skate helmets tend to be very poorly ventilated.

Once the weather cools down a bit, a fabric "skull cap" that covers the ears might also help.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Have you got custom fitted attenuators? I have a set, and can change the DB level on them, but never tried them while cycling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 FamousDave

You can get rigid or flexible ear covers for fitting to the helmet straps - they might be worth investigating. The TT and skate helmets tend to be very poorly ventilated.

Once the weather cools down a bit, a fabric "skull cap" that covers the ears might also help.

Thanks for that. Can you point me in the direction of those covers?
    Effects wrote: »
    Have you got custom fitted attenuators? I have a set, and can change the DB level on them, but never tried them while cycling.

I use either custom moulded Elacin ER25s or a standard pair of 20s on a string, whichever is nearer whenever I'm ready to go out. Then the earwigs go over those. They reduce the wind noise a little, but I still think there's a better solution out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭septern

In my experience, you can't do anything to stop it.

I have bad tinnitus and hearing loss and have had surgery on one ear so far to improve it.

My tinnitus is less noticeable when there is some background noise and gets worse with ear-plugs, or ear covering.

I just get on with it, its something you just have to live with

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I wish there was.
    I can only say that TT helmets, even though they cover your ears don't reduce wind noise in my experience.

ETA I usually ride with a buff over my ears, but it makes a negligible difference, and can even make it worse sometimes if I don't position it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

I have a bit of age-related tinnitus, and tried the www.earbags.com , but found them tricky to put on each time. I've had good experience with these https://www.windfree.se/en/home and much handier to flick on and off.

LINKS THAT I'M NOT ALLOWED TO QUOTE

Ive tried SlipStreams, Cat Ears and Helmet Angel and found them all to be useless for blocking wind noise. I'll check out the WindBlox but if the reviews are anything to go by I wouldn't be too hopeful.

Type 17 wrote: »
    I have a bit of age-related tinnitus, and tried the , but found them tricky to put on each time. I've had good experience with these and much handier to flick on and off.

Thanks, I'll look at those WindFree gizmos too.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I'll be killed for suggesting it but....

Lose the helmet. A cap is much quieter.

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    I'll be killed for suggesting it but....

Lose the helmet. A cap is much quieter.

No thanks, I prefer to keep my brains on the inside!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

wear a motorbike helmet. feic all road noise. use foam ear plugs also.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭work

used quality noise cancelling earphones one day couldn't believe how well it worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

work wrote: »
    used quality noise cancelling earphones one day couldn't believe how well it worked.

Can you link to them please?

Advertisement