Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tyre Mount/Unmount bar

Options
  • 21-04-2020 11:49am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭

I am trying to buy a tyre mount/unmount bar similar to/or the Sealey TC963
    I have seen them on ebay and amazon and also a few other sites but shipping to Ireland is not an option. Does anyone know if this bar can be bought on line from Ireland. Demon Tweeks UK have them but I am unable to order for some reason.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Parcel Motel or Address Pal maybe?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

I was thinking along those lines but the bar is a metre long.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Riva10

I have a slightly used one that I have used on at the most tyre changes . Near new condition. I can arrange delivery at cost, Pm if interested.

I have one if interested

I have a used one . I only changed at the most 4 sets of motorcycle tyres. It's in near perfect condition. €100. Delivered to you if you live in Ireland. PM me if you are interested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭H_Lime

H_Lime wrote: »
    Any danger of marking the rims.

Emmersonn wrote: »
    Any danger of marking the rims.

Its possible but unlikely.
    The problem with all these bars is getting the tool end under the beade to start the walk around removal. Even with the beade "in the well" opposite to where you want to insert it (matron:eek:) it's too big.
    This is why I like the wheel mates skinny straight removal section, it gets in...just.
    Plenty of tyre soap and crucially WARM TYRES!!!
    tyre.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I was thinking along those lines but the bar is a metre long.

You can pick up over size from a Night line depot for Parcel Motel.

Shouldn't be an issue for Address Pal unless they use too big a box, don't order from Amazon as they love big boxes.

https://addresspal.anpost.ie/pricing-sizing

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

• Advertisement

As it happens I'm changing tyres today;)
    IMG-20200422-132048.jpg

IMG-20200422-132126.jpg

IMG-20200422-124356.jpg

IMG-20200422-123806.jpg
    Break the bead.

IMG-20200422-124548.jpg
    Left to warm in the sun and loadsa soap.

IMG-20200422-124652.jpg
    Press yer hip against the tyre and push. This squeezes the beads together into the well making room for the tool to do this. Insert the central spindle and walk her round.

IMG-20200422-125734.jpg
    Repeat for lower bead.

IMG-20200422-125851.jpg
    Bingo.
    Both tyres removed in twenty five mins.

IMG-20200422-131928.jpg
    Essential bits, industry spec vulcanised mushrooms for inner repair, right angle tyre valves, lead weights yada yada.

IMG-20200422-132509.jpg
    And the reason I'm changing them. 5yrs old so prob past it.

Will put some pics up of install when they land. Hopefully all this is of use to someone considering doing their own tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,715 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Not just heat them up in the microwave

I went with this manual tyre machine from Ebay. Guy was brilliant to deal with. Bought it collect in person and he invoiced me separate for carriage.
    (Paypal. £22.) This was ordered on Monday evening at about 20.00 and arrived yesterday (UPS) at 12.30. Some service from the UK. Just waiting now for the mount/dismount bar. Went with the Alloy Mate. Thank you for the help.
    20200424-083013-1.jpg

I went with this manual tyre machine from Ebay. Guy was brilliant to deal with. Bought it collect in person and he invoiced me separate for carriage.
    (Paypal. £22.) This was ordered on Monday evening at about 20.00 and arrived yesterday (UPS) at 12.30. Some service from the UK. Just waiting now for the mount/dismount bar. Went with the Alloy Mate. Thank you for the help.
    20200424-083013-1.jpg

Very good! Seems same as my sealey. Couple tips from my usage would be cut off and grind flat the triangular section sticking up on the base where you lay the wheel to break the bead. Serves no purpose imo for bikes and could scrape a rim. Always raise the wheel higher than the base with blocks of wood when breaking the bead.

Zip tie some fuel hosing that you've cut down the middle onto the curved piece that breaks the bead, a potential scraper big time.

Some lads mount them on pallets so they moved about. I marked and drilled the floor of my garage and left the innerds of rawl bolts in place so I can have my space back. Takes 5 mins to set up.

You don't have to grip the rim very hard. If you do the rubber coated claws will tear slightly allowing the steel claws inside mark your rim. Pieces of old inner tube are your friend.

It's specd to do 21 inch front but it can't. Or at least mine couldn't it was just short and I had to gring all three claws slightly back to accommodate a 21 incher. I have two bikes with 21 inch fronts so was happy it could be modified to accept them.

Next time you see a snap on van ask yer man for all the bits I put a pic up of, really makes it worthwhile to own then. I saw him leaving Lee motorcycles supplying the same bits and stalked him down haha.

Interested to see if you find the same issues with the alloy mate as I did. After having used both I think the wheel mate is a better fit especially in removal. The alloy mate being a sealey alloy rim bar clone was originally designed for cars and is just too cumbersome especially for fronts. You may find different to me tho.
    Well wear man and just watch all yer mates call round with wheels for changing lol.

The reason that I went for the Alloy Mate was I found it literally impossible to have other type shipped from the UK. The alloy mate was on amazon but would not ship either but I contacted the guy directly and he sold it for a fiver cheaper than on a,azon and shipped it for 8.95£. Will give it a go and hopefully it will work out without much hassle

The reason that I went for the Alloy Mate was I found it literally impossible to have other type shipped from the UK. The alloy mate was on amazon but would not ship either but I contacted the guy directly and he sold it for a fiver cheaper than on a,azon and shipped it for 8.95£. Will give it a go and hopefully it will work out without much hassle

You may find it works well for you, remember I'm changing 90/90 by 21 inch tyres and 130/80 by 17 mostly which are mega narrow. With 120 and 180 run of the mill tyres it may be easier to use that bar.
    You still on the capo or is it an fj now?
    Deffo buy some tyre soap, makes the job easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,715 ✭✭✭✭listermint

What you doing for balancing.

You may find it works well for you, remember I'm changing 90/90 by 21 inch tyres and 130/80 by 17 mostly which are mega narrow. With 120 and 180 run of the mill tyres it may be easier to use that bar.
    You still on the capo or is it an fj now?
    Deffo buy some tyre soap, makes the job easier.
    Fjr and XT1200. 120/70-17 and 180/-17, 110/80-19 and 150/70-17. So I should be ok. Famous last words:D

Fjr and XT1200. 120/70-17 and 180/-17, 110/80-19 and 150/70-17. So I should be ok. Famous last words:D
    Nice stable, both contenders for me when the shekels allow. Watch some tutorials, it's a knack kind of, if your pulling or pushing hard you're doing it wrong.
    My young lad was able to de mount them once set up.

Balancing my minty friend, is done ona balancer:)
    IMG-20200422-180147.jpg

• Advertisement

The Alloy Mate bar arrived today and I changed the rear tyre on the FJR. It was a pleasure to work with the tyre changer rather than wrestling with a loose wheel on the garage floor. I had practiced yesterday taking off and putting on the tyre on the spacesaver wheel from the car. I used the bar which came with the machine. It was ok for the steel spacesaver but not suitable for an alloy. I have to agree with H Lime that the Alloy Mate is quite awkward to work with to remove the tyre as it is a bit proud to get it inserted but once inserted it is ok. Will attack the front wheel tomorrow.

The Alloy Mate bar arrived today and I changed the rear tyre on the FJR. It was a pleasure to work with the tyre changer rather than wrestling with a loose wheel on the garage floor. I had practiced yesterday taking off and putting on the tyre on the spacesaver wheel from the car. I used the bar which came with the machine. It was ok for the steel spacesaver but not suitable for an alloy. I have to agree with H Lime that the Alloy Mate is quite awkward to work with to remove the tyre as it is a bit proud to get it inserted but once inserted it is ok. Will attack the front wheel tomorrow.

Welcome to the world of being "tyre self sufficient" ;)
    On the front the holy trinity of warm, lubed and in the well for removal! I bought the wheel mate when I was still learning to do this craic so may not be a prob for you.
    What did you make of the raised triangular piece on the bed of the bead breaker and did you cover the edge of blade that breaks the bead?

Welcome to the world of being "tyre self sufficient" ;)
    On the front the holy trinity of warm, lubed and in the well for removal! I bought the wheel mate when I was still learning to do this craic so may not be a prob for you.
    What did you make of the raised triangular piece on the bed of the bead breaker and did you cover the edge of blade that breaks the bead?
    I removed these even before I fixed the machine in place and as for the bead breaker, I just tapped a plastic rim protector in place on the rim. Could'nt believe how easy it was to break the bead. I had tried different methods before and all resulted in sweat and cursing. :D Thank you again for all your help.

IMG-20200721-200433.jpg

IMG-20200721-200505.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tire-Changer-Duck-Head-Tyre-Mount-Demount-Tool-Inserts-Rim-Protector-28mm-NEW-UK/174336651654?pageci=36c71b62-eeb3-4ba0-8b3e-3666a3556697
    Stuck the above onto my alloy mate to try it out. Three sets to do in the coming wks so will let ya know if it's worth while.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

A bit too late to the thread but if a UK supplier will not deliver to the "Republic" you can get the delivery sent to deliverme.ie which is outside Newry and about 70 yards from the border.
    From memory the delivery cost from the deliverme.ie to any address in the "Republic" was Euro 22.

IMG-20200721-200433.jpg

IMG-20200721-200505.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tire-Changer-Duck-Head-Tyre-Mount-Demount-Tool-Inserts-Rim-Protector-28mm-NEW-UK/174336651654?pageci=36c71b62-eeb3-4ba0-8b3e-3666a3556697
    Stuck the above onto my alloy mate to try it out. Three sets to do in the coming wks so will let ya know if it's worth while.

Any update.

Any update.

Crossans are shipping another set of tourances for the other dr today and Pilot 5 trails going on the capo in a fortnight so will let ye know.
    On the 90 90 21 I've resorted to using levers depending on how stiff the particular tyres are (with rim protectors aka a length of garden hose cut down the side). Both tools have too much meat inside of the bead to do the job on such a skinny tyre imo.

This yoke seems to potentially rectify that as whats in inside the bead is small = less distortion and easier install. What may be an issue is that a duck head is meant to be fixed 90 deg to rim where we are rotating at somewhat of an angle.

It verks! but this variation may be better
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Tire-Changer-Stainless-Steel-Metal-Mount-Demount-Duck-Head-Tool-Dia-28mm/202982779134
    Its apt to pop out a bit but practice helps. This one has a rim securing channel so should help.
    Worth having? Yep, used it successfully on the rear and removal was a piece of piss as it's v slimline.
    Considering the thickness of the dismount tip on the alloy mate, and the fact this simply bolts on and off it in seconds you'd be mad not to Em.

Look what I did:D
    IMG-20200814-182910.jpg
    Pinchy pinch. Was ready to play 80+psi seat the bead game and she wasn't inflating:pac:
    That's a first, always careful not to. Off to the bicycle shop in the morn, can't find my patches.

Thanks for the update HL and the pics. Is the Duck Head all plastic or is it metal coated. Is it the 28mm one that you have.
    The pinchy pinch is a right nuisance and I discovered over time that no matter how careful you are, there is always a slight risk of the pinch. Thankfully the FJR and Tenere are tubeless.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the update HL and the pics. Is the Duck Head all plastic or is it metal coated. Is it the 28mm one that you have.
    The pinchy pinch is a right nuisance and I discovered over time that no matter how careful you are, there is always a slight risk of the pinch. Thankfully the FJR and Tenere are tubeless.
    Yeah pain in the arse alright, new tube n all.
    It's all nylon cept the steel insert thats bolted to it which has 4 Allen grub screws to clamp it down. It's impossible to scratch the rim with it.

Advertisement