Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

MOD VOICE: Lets leave the discussion there on who should or shouldn't do what, both sides have valid points, the van driver apologised immediately and hopefully will be more careful in future. Cycling is not dangerous and readers should be aware that these incidents are a small snippet into what is statistically a very safe commute. Lets leave it there. Any questions PM me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Was on the Howth road earlier, heading into town. Approaching the junction with Copeland Ave.
    There was a car waiting to turn right onto Copeland Avenue.
    About 100m before this I was passed by a drunk driver. Left side mirror turned in, so I know she wasn't using it.
    She was now stationary behind the car waiting to turn right. She then made a quick move left, without indicating, into the cycle lane.
    I was able to manoeuvre around her to the right, and back in to the cycle lane ahead of her.
    She then barrelled down the road, took an illegal right turn further down, and preceded to drive along in the bus lane from fairview to north strand with her left indicator on the whole time.

Direct hit this morning. Cycling through Dún Laoghaire shortly after 7 am. A bee came out of nowhere, didn’t indicate, and flew straight into my mouth and immediately stung me on the lip.
    Swelled up straight away and extremely painful!
    Bee kept going but I pulled the venom sack and stinger out so she’s probably dead by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭randomname2005

Effects wrote: »
    Direct hit this morning. Cycling through Dún Laoghaire shortly after 7 am. A bee came out of nowhere, didn’t indicate, and flew straight into my mouth and immediately stung me on the lip.
    Bee kept going but I pulled the venom sack and stinger out so she’s probably dead by now.

Ouch!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,482 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Effects wrote: »

You really should have been wearing a helmet. I don't understand why cyclists won't take responsibility for their own safety.

beekeeping-protective-clothing-helmet-and-veil_2000x.jpg?v=1510025655

Funny thing is that I'm actually a beekeeper! First time I've been stung on the lip though. I was stung on the ear a few years ago, and that comes in second for most painful stings I've had. Anywhere else is usually fine, even around the eye, which swells up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

ah stop. First time back on the bike in a while. Only a few minutes from my house on a sunday morning. Cycling along the cycle lane, but a motorist had decided to park his car, straddling both the cycle lane and pedestrian lane - nothing was getting past. I bunny hopped down and would have given him a shake of the head as I passed, but not content with parking on the cycle lane, he also nearly doored me when he swung his door open as I was passing. Happened here:

https://goo.gl/maps/W4GsfWxt46joxwqz8

"not a great place to park, you nearly doored me there" says I. He was like a primed fuse. "Well where the fcuk am I meant to park". "well not on a cycle lane anyway". at this point, I decided to disengage, as I see if over an above my call of duty to find parking for motorists who couldn't be arsed to find it themselves. A torrent of abuse followed as I waited at the red light " you fcucking cyclists, rabble, rabble". I cycled off shaking my head - I mean, he's committed a few offences with his sh!tty parking but it;s somehow my problem?

Incidentally, there are three parking spots, all within a 30 second to one minute walk away. here https://goo.gl/maps/6czDARicVugfK4S56, here https://goo.gl/maps/cwbHHGoeLVGdGDsx7 and here https://goo.gl/maps/T4j1ZPf4YaW4cHDs6. The last one the council kindly took away a few football pitches to facilitate the chronic antisocial parking on the porterstown road.

Remind me again why we don't use cycle lanes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    ah stop. First time back on the bike in a while. Only a few minutes from my house on a sunday morning. Cycling along the cycle lane, but a motorist had decided to park his car, straddling both the cycle lane and pedestrian lane - nothing was getting past. I bunny hopped down and would have given him a shake of the head as I passed, but not content with parking on the cycle lane, he also nearly doored me when he swung his door open as I was passing. Happened here:

https://goo.gl/maps/W4GsfWxt46joxwqz8

"not a great place to park, you nearly doored me there" says I. He was like a primed fuse. "Well where the fcuk am I meant to park". "well not on a cycle lane anyway". at this point, I decided to disengage, as I see if over an above my call of duty to find parking for motorists who couldn't be arsed to find it themselves. A torrent of abuse followed as I waited at the red light " you fcucking cyclists, rabble, rabble". I cycled off shaking my head - I mean, he's committed a few offences with his sh!tty parking but it;s somehow my problem?

Incidentally, there are three parking spots, all within a 30 second to one minute walk away. here https://goo.gl/maps/6czDARicVugfK4S56, here https://goo.gl/maps/cwbHHGoeLVGdGDsx7 and here https://goo.gl/maps/T4j1ZPf4YaW4cHDs6. The last one the council kindly took away a few football pitches to facilitate the chronic antisocial parking on the porterstown road.

Remind me again why we don't use cycle lanes?

The icing on the cake is that he's probably the type that rants loudly and often about dem cyclists not using "perfectly good" cycle paths (that his road tax paid for of course)

Bunch of utter f***ing hypocrites, those types. Utterly sick of their sh*te.

I got the impression from his carry on that he'd deliberately set up a confrontation. You've got to wonder what's between these tools ears on a Sunday morning.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,686 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Can't for the life of me see why anyone would stop there, let alone park there? Yet it happened to be there before. There's a car park what 2 mins away where mochtas play some games

• Advertisement

Weepsie wrote: »
    Can't for the life of me see why anyone would stop there, let alone park there? Yet it happened to be there before. There's a car park what 2 mins away where mochtas play some games

I know. A few hundred metres. How lazy are some people?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

Ouch, hopefully no lasting injuries..

I bet that's at the crossing of n strand road/ Amiens st- used the new path a couple of times, but people fly through that crossing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Yeah here presumably https://goo.gl/maps/k8xsJtuewVcVBgKU9 . It's one of those pedestrian crossings with the cycle lights before some gimp complains that he should have dismounted. One of those ones where you have to watch for traffic ignoring the red light alright.

ye - fast road and on the crest of the bridge - I hit it a couple of time on Amber and just waited for the next sequence. Last time I stopped there was another cyclist using the road that nearly took me out with a massive back pack! Time before a bus was tipping along and no way was stopping..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,939 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Don't know why they didn't try go under the bridge there like the rest, probably wasn't feasible but would've been so much better if they had got it to work somehow.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

accessibility/permeability for cyclists who join from north strand itself, maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Well there's accessibility for people joining from above at the other bridges. On the other side you're on a public road for a while though before rejoining the canal way so probably not an insignificant amount of work to have a grade separated crossing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,096 ✭✭✭buffalo

kenmm wrote: »
    Ouch, hopefully no lasting injuries..

I bet that's at the crossing of n strand road/ Amiens st- used the new path a couple of times, but people fly through that crossing.

From the structure in the background of the pic, it's more likely to be Sheriff Street Upper:

https://goo.gl/maps/sbtaQLLQM9DxLT919

edit: from memory, the problem here is that the crossing isn't synchronised with the junction, which is very close by. So drivers coming around the corner aren't looking for another set of lights so soon. It would be better if they all went red together.

• Advertisement

buffalo wrote: »
    From the structure in the background of the pic, it's more likely to be Sheriff Street Upper:

https://goo.gl/maps/sbtaQLLQM9DxLT919

edit: from memory, the problem here is that the crossing isn't synchronised with the junction, which is very close by. So drivers coming around the corner aren't looking for another set of lights so soon. It would be better if they all went red together.

Yep you are right, on all counts

An aside, look at the rake of cyclists in the Google Streetview. Always heartening!

524363.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

Some genius in a Black Range Rover decided to overtake me on the descent of Ballyman Road last night.

Solid white line, not a great line of sight and I was doing 54kph. I reckon he got to the Yield Sign at the bottom maybe 2 seconds earlier than he would have by waiting behind me.

He floored it after the corner and missed out on some strong language :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,094 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

daragh_ wrote: »
    Some genius in a Black Range Rover decided to overtake me on the descent of Ballyman Road last night.

Solid white line, not a great line of sight and I was doing 54kph. I reckon he got to the Yield Sign at the bottom maybe 2 seconds earlier than he would have by waiting behind me.

He floored it after the corner and missed out on some strong language :mad:

Had a guy overtake me last night despite oncoming traffic and sandwiched me in between himself and the parked cars to my left.

But what really annoyed me was this was 5 seconds before a set of red lights that we both spent the next few minutes sitting patiently at anyway

Had a Merc Van pull across me at a junction, I was going through the junction at about 35kmph, just behind a van that was doing 40kmph. Van pulled through in the braking space and I had to slam on and swerve right. Driver didn't hear me, look or acknowledge. Thankfully the Taxi behind me had also got the courtesy to leave braking space. Looks like we are back to school run madness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Had 2 close passes within 6 minutes of leaving home today. Second one was a truck that squeezed me towards the ditch as he passed. Morons

dPCPx1.jpg

dPCiWF.jpg

First car has barely touched the white line with its wheels, the second one was worse than it looked as it was moving in towards me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 318 ✭✭f1000

dPCiWF.jpg

That second pic looks like a poo-pants moment

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Had 2 close passes within 6 minutes of leaving home today. Second one was a truck that squeezed me towards the ditch as he passed. Morons

https://iili.io/dPCPx1.jpg

https://iili.io/dPCiWF.jpg

First car has barely touched the white line with its wheels, the second one was worse than it looked as it was moving in towards me
    What exactly is the legal situation there in terms of overtaking a cyclist with an adjacent white line?
    Am I right in thinking it is not allowed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

What exactly is the legal situation there in terms of overtaking a cyclist with an adjacent white line?
    Am I right in thinking it is not allowed?

Not sure about that. Isn't the rule that you must not cross the white line. I've overtaken many on wide stretches of road on the motorcycle.

That is not to in any way say that the pictured overtake was legal never mind courteous.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you must not cross the white line.
    9. An authorised continuous white line along the centre of a roadway shall indicate that traffic must drive to the left of the line, and when on a stretch of roadway on which such a line has been provided a driver shall, save for the purpose of entering or leaving land or premises adjoining the right hand side of that roadway, drive to the left of the line.
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1964/si/294/made/en/print

equally, you are not allowed dangerously overtake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

you must not cross the white line.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1964/si/294/made/en/print

equally, you are not allowed dangerously overtake.

It's like a dream to me, But I think I read, that, the relevant section there had been amended, but obviously I can't find it now.

• Advertisement

I have a feeling there are exceptions where safe to do so but I too can't find it. Something along the lines of an "obstruction". Memory tells me that it must actually be an obstruction i.e. a moving cyclist or tractor wouldn't count, and even if a solicitor could argue it did, it must be clear and safe to do so i.e. unlikely on a solid white line.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

You can cross a white line to overtake a slow moving vehicle including cyclists.

This was the advice from a Guard that was with the RSA giving a cycling talk in my office

from the ROTR (assuming they accurately reflect the law)

524792.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

Blanchy90 wrote: »
    You can cross a white line to overtake a slow moving vehicle including cyclists.

From memory I think that's about right. IIRC there's even a speed below which you can overtake, something in the region of 25kmh. But my memory may be shaky on that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭standardg60

Blanchy90 wrote: »

This was the advice from a Guard that was with the RSA giving a cycling talk in my office

Jesus they make it up as they go along. White lines are there for a reason, you must wait until they are dotted, there is no discretion.
    I had to correct a guard once who thought it was fine to proceed straight from the right hand lane on a single lane roundabout!

IIRC there's even a speed below which you can overtake, something in the region of 25kmh.
    i suspect you'll have trouble finding that in the road traffic acts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

Jesus they make it up as they go along. White lines are there for a reason, you must wait until they are dotted, there is no discretion.

There is though. Otherwise we'd spend a lot of time waiting behind the likes of bin lorries etc

There is though.
    maybe not in law, though. unless you can find the discretion?

if you've a solid white line on a blind bend, i suspect the law wouldn't be kind to you if you made that overtake.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,686 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

5. (1) These Regulations shall apply save where compliance is not possible as a result of an obstruction to traffic or pedestrians or because of an emergency situation confronting a road user which could not reasonably have been expected or anticipated.

I think misinterpret this bit of legislation.

Driving on a country road and you don't anticipate slow moving traffic, you probably shouldn't be driving.

Gardai just use their discretion

Weepsie wrote: »
    5. (1) These Regulations shall apply save where compliance is not possible as a result of an obstruction to traffic or pedestrians or because of an emergency situation confronting a road user which could not reasonably have been expected or anticipated.

I think misinterpret this bit of legislation.

Driving on a country road and you don't anticipate slow moving traffic, you probably shouldn't be driving.

Gardai just use their discretion

Ye to me an obstruction to traffic is a fallen tree, broken down car etc.

Peds get a special mention, fair enough.

Cyclists aren't an obstruction to traffic, they ARE traffic- so I fail to see what discretion items needed, fairly clear cut tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

If someone does it with good visibility and in a safe manner it really doesn't bother me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

TheChizler wrote: »
    If someone does it with good visibility and in a safe manner it really doesn't bother me.

Same. Some situations it would be mad for a car to sit behind a cyclist where it is perfectly safe to overtake.

TheChizler wrote: »

ye - I'd even cautiously wave someone on if I was absolutely sure I could see clear in all directions (but can be risky if you cant and end up leading to an accident..)

kenmm wrote: »
    ye - I'd even cautiously wave someone on if I was absolutely sure I could see clear in all directions (but can be risky if you cant and end up leading to an accident..)

I'd never wave anyone on, unless I was pulling in. If it's that clear and safe, they should be able to see themselves.

I've had it happen in the past where I've waved on traffic and it turns out there's a coach and they can't accelerate quickly enough to be safe. You don't want to be responsible for indicating to a driver to do something that leads to an accident.

I'd never wave anyone on, unless I was pulling in. If it's that clear and safe, they should be able to see themselves.

I've had it happen in the past where I've waved on traffic and it turns out there's a coach and they can't accelerate quickly enough to be safe. You don't want to be responsible for indicating to a driver to do something that leads to an accident.

yep - and especially with dash cams etc - I don't recommend it. But I still do it from time to time. Or give a clear slowing down to let someone overtake if they are being a pain in the ar3e behind me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

I agree with this, and was told the same when learning to drive. I will leave a gap in traffic or whatever but I won’t ever wave anyone out.

On the other hand, I’ve been waved on by friendly drivers, on the bike and in the car, into the path of traffic, loads of times. Thankfully I’ve been alert to it each time.

Waves can be well meaning, but dangerous!

I have, however, waved drivers behind me on, when I’m on the bike and pulling in to let them pass.

Lovely sunny evening for commuting. What can go wrong? Except some arsehool speeding up the bus lane at the approach to o'connell bridge. Not content with that, and after tailgating me for a few hundred yards in the bike / bus lane, he tried to undertake me at the millennium bridge lights. And of course the customary close pass in the bus / bike lane when he managed to get past me. Oh how I missed commuting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,094 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Lovely sunny evening for commuting. What can go wrong? Except some arsehool speeding up the bus lane at the approach to o'connell bridge. Not content with that, and after tailgating me for a few hundred yards in the bike / bus lane, he tried to undertake me at the millennium bridge lights. And of course the customary close pass in the bus / bike lane when he managed to get past me. Oh how I missed commuting.

Special place in hell for bus lane abusers.
    I commuted in London and the bus drivers were the best drivers on the road and we always have each other respect and space

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I was sideswiped this morning, not a close pass, actual contact with my hand/arm/shoulder by a pass just before a roundabout. Haven't looked at the footage, but will log this one with traffic watch shortly. I'm furious, the guy just drove through me. I did stay upright, and wasn't injured really but my shoulder was sore just after. I'm gobsmacked frankly.

• Advertisement

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Special place in hell for bus lane abusers.
    I commuted in London and the bus drivers were the best drivers on the road and we always have each other respect and space

You've a virtual zero chance of it being enforced here. Cameras pretty common in London for bus lanes abusers.

Advertisement