Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loftus Hall Closing This Year

Options
  • 10-07-2020 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭

Just saw a Facebook post advertising that Loftus Hall is opening for the season but that it's closing for good at the end of the season. That's a pity. Wonder what will happen to it now....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,939 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Running costs must have been going through the roof.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Running costs must have been going through the roof.....

Boom boom

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭CMCXCV

Sad to see it go, I live in Wexford and haven't visited it yet. Not sure if it was that busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Azatadine

I think it did OK but I'd say the bad season this year probably finished it. I know that they were making attempts to turn it into a venue for various functions like weddings too but I think they had an issue getting a bar licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Last year they charged to go in for a coffee, big mistake.

• Advertisement

Do you mean they charged entry before even buying a coffee? Jeez....

I'd love to see someone buy the place and do something with it but it would cost a big fortune to do it up I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

Azatadine wrote: »
    Do you mean they charged entry before even buying a coffee? Jeez....

I'd love to see someone buy the place and do something with it but it would cost a big fortune to do it up I'd say.

A lot of people have tried there hand with it no luck.

They tried to set it up as a wedding venue too I heard but couldn't get an alcohol licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

Have just seen this thread now, and this is the first I've heard of this news. It's a real pity, as I was always fascinated by the place myself.

I do remember a piece in the local paper about five or six years ago where the current owner (from a farming family) said he actually bought the place mainly for the land that came with it. Can't find it online though.

An earlier piece (from 2011) says there were 63 acres and asking price was €625,000 so it was almost a case of "buy the land, and get the house for free", since €10,000 per acre wouldn't be unusual for agricultural land in most parts of Wexford:
    https://www.independent.ie/regionals/newrossstandard/news/loftus-hall-price-slashed-27507170.html

Anyway, IIRC, the owner said that after buying the land, he thought he may as well try make a go of developing the house itself as an attraction too. I thought things were going fairly well there, but obviously not, if they're going to close. As I said, a real pity.

As regards what happens next, maybe they'll try sell the house, but keep the land. However, whether or not anybody else might take it on as a business venture obviously remains to be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭geminiman63

• Advertisement

Well, there ya go. Coincidence that the story be posted so soon after I wondered about it.

Surprised that the land is up for sale too if that was a large part of his reason for buying it in the first place, but maybe I'm not actually remembering that rightly anyway.

Will be interesting to see if anybody buys or if it continues to be run as a tourist attraction in future.

Well, there ya go. Coincidence that the story be posted so soon after I wondered about it.

Surprised that the land is up for sale too if that was a large part of his reason for buying it in the first place, but maybe I'm not actually remembering that rightly anyway.

Will be interesting to see if anybody buys or if it continues to be run as a tourist attraction in future.

There'd be no shortage of land in that family.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭geminiman63

TheTorment wrote: »
    There'd be no shortage of land in that family.

As the sea breeze blows across it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Squiggle

Quigley's intention to interview potential buyers for suitability is hilarious. Could come back to haunt him...... :pac:

I wouldn't claim to know the man myself, but he did show me around the place down there shortly after he opened it to visitors, in connection with something to do with my work. And because I'm interested in the place, I've generally kept an eye on news and other stuff about it (until I was late seeing maybe the biggest news of all here, that he's now planning to close it).

It struck me that he's a great man for spinning yarns about it to suit himself. For example, it's well known that the house where all the "quare stuff" happened was pulled down, and the current house was built around 1870, some 100 years later. But he claimed to have discovered documents that hadn't been seen for many years, that said the main door to the current house stands in exactly the same spot as the door to the previous one, and so you could still walk through the same doorway that the mysterious stranger did.

Should mention it was a fine hot summer's day when I was there. As he led me into what they call the card room and they claim stands on the same spot as where the "quare stuff" occurred, he asked "do you feel it getting colder the second you walk in here?".

Granted, it felt colder all right - but only because the shutters on the windows were closed there, while they were open everywhere else.

Also, while it was always known that there was a structure there since around the 14th century, he claimed in 2016 to have discovered other documents that pinpointed the exact date of the first structure being 1350. Rather fortunately, this meant he could announce a marketing plan for the 666th anniversary of the place.

Never let the truth get in the way of a good story, eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭mobby

That's a shame, they did a great job on the Gardens.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Coolejude

mobby wrote: »
    That's a shame, they did a great job on the Gardens.

Just visited on Saturday and was very pleasantly surprised by the beautiful gardens.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

It struck me that he's a great man for spinning yarns about it to suit himself. For example, it's well known that the house where all the "quare stuff" happened was pulled down, and the current house was built around 1870, some 100 years later. But he claimed to have discovered documents that hadn't been seen for many years, that said the main door to the current house stands in exactly the same spot as the door to the previous one, and so you could still walk through the same doorway that the mysterious stranger did.

Should mention it was a fine hot summer's day when I was there. As he led me into what they call the card room and they claim stands on the same spot as where the "quare stuff" occurred, he asked "do you feel it getting colder the second you walk in here?".

Granted, it felt colder all right - but only because the shutters on the windows were closed there, while they were open everywhere else.

Also, while it was always known that there was a structure there since around the 14th century, he claimed in 2016 to have discovered other documents that pinpointed the exact date of the first structure being 1350. Rather fortunately, this meant he could announce a marketing plan for the 666th anniversary of the place.

Never let the truth get in the way of a good story, eh?
    I agree to an extent, but you know what, more luck to him. I remember being in it when it was still a pub and it definitely had a bit of a creepy feel to it. And the "paranormal lock-down" crowd seem to love it :D It brings money into the area as well and I'd prefer it to continue as it is rather than as another hotel and golf course.

Does anyone know if the gravestone of Canon Brouder:
    "who died for us all and banished the devil from Loftus Hall" actually exists- I had heard the poem years before the current owners started using it as part of the tour.

Oh, I'm not criticising him for it at all. I'm also inclined to say more power to him, and fair play to him for making something of the place. No harm done if he happened to spin things a certain way to suit his own needs from time to time.

I actually had some of my first-ever pints in Loftus Hall myself. It was after my Leaving Cert in the summer of 1989, when I was still just 17 years old, and spending a few days camping in The Hook area with friends. Leaving Cert students today get a week or more in Magaluf or Ibiza, but back then, we were lucky to get three nights in a tent at the other end of County Wexford!

The gravestone of Canon Broaders is in Horetown Cemetery. It's close to 250 years old, so am not sure how legible anything on it actually is. Having said that, while several sources say it carries that epitaph, this one says that it doesn't have it at all:
    http://www.abandonedireland.com/Loftus_Hall_2.html

I honestly don't know myself.

Incidentally, might be of interest to you or others that Ramsgrange Church still has his chalice, and it was in the news a few years back, when it was first stolen and then recovered:
    https://www.independent.ie/regionals/wexfordpeople/news/exorcists-chalice-is-recovered-after-theft-27723217.html

• Registered Users Posts: 11,284 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Would it suffer from being so far out the peninsula? I know plenty of tourists go out to the lighthouse but it’s a working lighthouse so the bit of tourism is a bonus on a place that I presume Irish lights pay a lot of upkeep on whereas loftus hall Would need a good bit more coming in to keep the place up and running.
    I’ve never gone in but have driven past it going to hook head several time’s over the last few years. We regularly stay down that neck of the woods but it’s never been somewhere we’ve been keen to go not sure why though.

• Advertisement

I don't think it suffers from location. There were some 250,000 visits to the lighthouse in 2018, and even more in 2019, if these figures are to be believed:

https://www.independent.ie/regionals/newrossstandard/news/rising-tide-as-250000-visit-busy-lighthouse-37590832.html
    https://wexfordtoday.com/2020/01/16/visitor-numbers-increase-at-hook-lighthouse-in-2019/

That's an awful lot of passing traffic, since you literally can't get to the lighthouse without passing by the gates of Loftus Hall.

Well, strictly speaking you can, if you happen to live in Slade or somewhere else along that road....but you know what I mean...!

Advertisement