Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TEFL

Options
  • 30-08-2015 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to where to travel, after completing a TEFL course?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 lexa15

Hi :) I completed a TEFL course too a while back with i to i. I haven't traveled anywhere to teach yet but I'd love to head away somewhere soon.

Have you been thinking of any countries in particular? I've been thinking about Thailand, looks like such an amazing country. China and Korea seem to be popular for new teachers starting out too. I'm just a bit scared to go off somewhere completely on my own.. I was looking up jobs in European countries but it seems for a lot of them you need so many years teaching experience and most often you need to have completed a CELTA course.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭whydoibother

I too would be interested in getting feedback from people who have gone teaching english abroad... Anyone want to share their experiences, please?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,880 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

• Registered Users Posts: 12 ianc4000

One question . In order to teach english as a foreign language i need to a celt couse. Thats fine but do i also need to have a degree? This seems a bit un necessary?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

ianc4000 wrote: »
    One question . In order to teach english as a foreign language i need to a celt couse. Thats fine but do i also need to have a degree? This seems a bit un necessary?

You need a degree to get onto most Celta or Celt courses, the course is so intense they need to be sure that youre able for the work load and content. You also need to do a pre course written assignment when you go for the interview. Most tefl jobs require you to have a degree in any subject but you can build up experience by working in Summer camps or doing internships in other countries with an online 120 hour course, some jobs won't require a degree but the pay won't be good and you'll be doing allot of paper work while working.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭fran38

Ho, old thread i know but it might suit my question. Im thinking of heading off to Thailand for a couple of years to recharge a weary battery. Supplementing my stay is a must so im thinking of teaching English. My question is, what level of TEFL is considered appropriate for Thailand? Do i complete the diploma level or is a basic cert ok? And if a cert is ok, how many hours should i complete?
    Thanks

Advertisement