Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Woman crosses dual carriageway on foot, gets hit by car, gets €3.2M

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,364 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

This chicks brother is an Instagram fella who seems to spend his life on holidays, Dubai, Ibiza, Maldives, Bali. Part of the Sosueme, Wrights bar brigade in Swords. She’s from money is what I’m saying. Sounds like a crazy payout to receive.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Alias G

This chicks brother is an Instagram fella who seems to spend his life on holidays, Dubai, Ibiza, Maldives, Bali. Part of the Sosueme, Wrights bar brigade in Swords. She’s from money is what I’m saying. Sounds like a crazy payout to receive.

That depends on the extent of her injuries. If she is brain injured and needs lifetime support and care, 3.2 million possibly won't stretch as far as you would imagine.

Alias G wrote: »
    That depends on the extent of her injuries. If she is brain injured and needs lifetime support and care, 3.2 million possibly won't stretch as far as you would imagine.

There are pictures of her walking to/from the court on her own. She seems quite independent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

No, just you.

Im guessing your a spandex wearing who likes cycling,
    You said "In this instance there was an alleged failure to apply the brakes promptly. This would indicate the driver was not paying due care and attention."

You try and drop the anchors at 80km which is the speed limit.
    What do you want, us plebs to drive at 20km to avoid the odd moron that has a death wish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

I know the road well myself. I have seen people alight the bus and proceed across the road countless times. It sounds like you should be paying more attention. And it was stated during the trial that people are on the habit of crossing at that very point

Vulnerable road users quiet obviously consist of pedestrians, cyclists, motorcyclists etc.

Nobody has absolved the pedestrian of culpability. Nor did the judgement in fact.

What I am stating is that motorists are responsible for operating their vehicle with due consideration of their surroundings. Unfortunately I witness a distinct lack of this responsibility in motorists on a daily basis. In this instance there was an alleged failure to apply the brakes promptly. This would indicate the driver was not paying due care and attention.

It is a dual carriage way which intersects the urban area of swords which is the 7th most populous urban area in the state and consequently has large volumes of pedestrians and cyclists utilising and crossing at various points. A failure to anticipate other road users places culpability on the motorist.

You really have a chip on your shoulder with the arrogant attitude you're displaying. I would bet that you're actually a cyclist, one of those who refuses to use the cycle lanes that are there but yet complains no end about drivers. I see that type every day. Yes, I'm observing all around me when I'm driving, a lot more than they are, and obviously a lot more than this woman was when she decided to run across the road. The same due care and attentions doesn't also equally extend to pedestrians, no?

You seem to be set on this thing of a driver being more responsible for hunking around a tonne of metal, yet what if she had caused that car to swerve to avoid her, hit a pole and killed the driver. Would the pedestrian still be absolved, given that she's not in the car?

The fact that you don't seem in any way slightly miffed that this will have an effect on drivers' insurance premia is probably a further indication that you're a cyclist or pedestrian and hence pay no insurance yourself. Or else you drive around with no insurance. One or the other.

Again, the privilege of driving around in one tonne of metal with the ability to seriously maim or kill comes with responsibilities. At a very minimum that responsibility includes due diligence with regard to driving in a manner that considers the driving environment and presence of other more vunerable road users. Regardless of the right or wrong actions of the other individuals. Being hit by one tonne at 80 km/h is hardly a fair penalty for Jay walking.

Your a f**king idiot
    So you think we should foot the bill of €3.2 million for a brainless moron.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/part-time-model-settles-court-action-for-32m-after-being-struck-by-car-on-dual-carriageway-40052486.html

Watch the video, far from a vegetable she is

Im guessing your a spandex wearing who likes cycling,
    You said "In this instance there was an alleged failure to apply the brakes promptly. This would indicate the driver was not paying due care and attention."

You try and drop the anchors at 80km which is the speed limit.
    What do you want, us plebs to drive at 20km to avoid the odd moron that has a death wish

I'm guessing you are hairy neanderthal who has scars on his knuckles from dragging them on the ground and drives a flash car to make up for the deficiency in his pants.

I can make ad hominem insults too. Not sure how it furthers the debate though.

I have already stated what I expect motorists to do. Ie drive with due consideration. But we all know a significant number of them can't be trusted to do so. What we will probably get instead is a reduced speed limit and a pedestrian crossing at the sight of the incident. If not now, then after someone does lose their life.

You really have a chip on your shoulder with the arrogant attitude you're displaying. I would bet that you're actually a cyclist, one of those who refuses to use the cycle lanes that are there but yet complains no end about drivers. I see that type every day. Yes, I'm observing all around me when I'm driving, a lot more than they are, and obviously a lot more than this woman was when she decided to run across the road. The same due care and attentions doesn't also equally extend to pedestrians, no?

You seem to be set on this thing of a driver being more responsible for hunking around a tonne of metal, yet what if she had caused that car to swerve to avoid her, hit a pole and killed the driver. Would the pedestrian still be absolved, given that she's not in the car?

The fact that you don't seem in any way slightly miffed that this will have an effect on drivers' insurance premia is probably a further indication that you're a cyclist or pedestrian and hence pay no insurance yourself. Or else you drive around with no insurance. One or the other.

A lot of assumptions there. Mostly well wide of the mark. At no point did I say this woman bears no personal responsibility for what happened.

Unfortunately I pay insurance for lots of things. Including driving. And there are plenty of examples of insurance fraud that do piss me off. I haven't stated categorically whether the 3.2 million is justified or not in this instance because I don't know the full facts. All I have said is that based on what we know from the trial, the motorist does bear some responsibility for the incident. The driver didn't use their brakes FFS.

• Advertisement

I'm guessing you are hairy neanderthal who has scars on his knuckles from dragging them on the ground and drives a flash car to make up for the deficiency in his pants.

I have already stated what I expect motorists to do. Ie drive with due consideration. But we all know a significant number of them can't be trusted to do so. What we will probably get instead is a reduced speed limit and a pedestrian crossing at the sight of the incident. If not now, then after someone does lose their life.

There is a more than adequate pedestrian crossing there already and she chose not to use it. You now want one on the road too? That would be great for traffic.

Unbelievable.

What do you want, us plebs to drive at 20km to avoid the odd moron that has a death wis

Oh, so you actually do think people should be driving at 20kp/h incase of idiots. :rolleyes: Seems reasonable.

A lot of assumptions there. Mostly well wide of the mark. At not point did I say this woman bears no personal responsibility for what happened.

What about the woman who got 550K for illegally tram surfing when she was younger? Why should she get anything?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,934 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

She chose to walk across the Dual Carriageway.

Would you choose to walk across a Dual Carriageway?

Why not?

(although I guess after this settlement you may as well take your chances!)

Oh, so you actually do think people should be driving at 20kp/h incase of idiots. :rolleyes: Seems reasonable.

Feel free to make up stuff I said if it makes you feel better. There is nowhere in the city with a 20km/h limit. I do however support the roll out of the 30 km/h limit on the city centre and housing estates

Mod: Alias G and Glenfieldman, enough of the bickering and insults. Anymore and you'll be thread banned.

• Advertisement

What about the woman who got 550K for illegally tram surfing when she was younger? Why should she get anything?

What about her. She is irrelevant to this specific incident.

How good is your stopping skills at 60km, because I know my stopping skills in my little Hyundai i20, (far from big or flash) would also kill a person
    Btw have you watch the video of the "victim"

There is a more than adequate pedestrian crossing there already and she chose not to use it. You now want one on the road too? That would be great for traffic.

Unbelievable.

There is no pedestrian crossing at that point. There is a bridge which people habitually ignore. People are far more likely to use a pedestrian crossing. That's human nature.

What about her. She is irrelevant to this specific incident.

She is relevant as it's another similar case. This is not just one isolated incident. Personal responsibility seems to be a thing of the past. You can do what you want and if you hurt yourself doing it, someone else must pay. And you're fine with that.

People are far more likely to use a pedestrian crossing.

Is the bridge for cattle or for humans?

Why is the bridge there?

• Advertisement

There is no pedestrian crossing at that point. There is a bridge which people habitually ignore. People are far more likely to use a pedestrian crossing. That's human nature.

The bridge is a pedestrian bridge. It's a bridge across the road so that traffic can move freely. There is also a bridge across the N4 at Liffey Valley. Do you think if people "habitually ignore" it, then they should be rewarded with a further surface crossing? I really think you're on the wind-up now at this stage...

How good is your stopping skills at 60km, because I know my stopping skills in my little Hyundai i20, (far from big or flash) would also kill a person
    Btw have you watch the video of the "victim"

I have watched the video. It neither confirms nor denies what her long term injuries may or may not be. I never stated if the payout was excessive or adequate because I simply don't know those facts. I have simply stated that mororist culpability is plausible and likely in this incident. There is a big difference between not being observant and hitting a pedestrian at speed and applying the brakes and limiting the violence of the impact.

**** me.
    This has to be Ms Regazzoli or a friend to defend her

Mod ban me if you want

The bridge is a pedestrian bridge. It's a bridge across the road so that traffic can move freely. There is also a bridge across the N4 at Liffey Valley. Do you think if people "habitually ignore" it, then they should be rewarded with a further surface crossing? I really think you're on the wind-up now at this stage...

Well we can follow your advice and continue with a clearly inadequate design. Or we can be pragmatic and build infrastructure that people will actually use based on typical human behaviour

Sounds to me like you are happy for the odd pedestrian to get clipped as long as nothing slows your driving time down by a few seconds. Selfish and motor centrist.

**** me.

Mod ban me if you want

Pedestrian crossing. You know those little green, red and yellow figures?

Well we can follow your advice and continue with a clearly inadequate design.

Why do you think the bridge is there?

How much common sense do you think it takes to use the bridge when crossing a dual carriageway?

Why do you think the bridge is there?

How much common sense do you think it takes to use the bridge when crossing a dual carriageway?

Why do you think people largely ignore the bridge?

Do you think we should build infra that actually will get used or should we just accept that we don't want to reduce road fatalities/injuries.

And does a motorist bear no responsibility for observing their surroundings?

I know the area well and I know that is not true.

So again I ask you how much common sense is required to use a bridge provided to cross a dual carriageway?

What do you think?

Do you think we should build infra that actually will get used or should we just accept that we don't want to reduce road fatalities/injuries.

And does a motorist bear no responsibility for observing their surroundings?

I dont know,
    Why do people cross a busy road and not use the safety of a pedestrian bridge

I dont know,
    Why do people cross a busy road and not use the safety of a pedestrian bridge

99% do. I know the area. It's nonsense that the vast vast majority don't use the bridge. Everyone uses the bridge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,510 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Because they are lazy and/or stupid?

I know the area well and I know that is not true.

So again I ask you how much common sense is required to use a bridge provided to cross a dual carriageway?

What do you think?

It is obviously the common sense means of crossing the road. Unfortunately, there are significant numbers of people who choose not to as described during the trial.

Both motorist behaviour and urban design should accommodate the fact that there are individuals who don't always employ the common sense approach.

Hence the outcome of culpability on both sides.

**** me.

Mod ban me if you want

Mod: Do not post in this thread again.

99% do. I know the area. It's nonsense that the vast vast majority don't use the bridge. Everyone uses the bridge.

It doesn't need to be majority not using the bridge in order for it to be a significant safety issue.

It is obviously the common sense means of crossing the road. Unfortunately, there are significant numbers of people who choose not to as described during the trial.

No, there isn't. There is not a lot of people who choose not to and anyone from Swords will tell you that.

Because they are lazy and/or stupid?

If lazy and stupid people deserved to be hit with a car at 80km/h, the population would thin very quickly.

Both motorist behaviour and urban design should accommodate the fact that there are individuals who don't always employ the common sense approach.

Hence the outcome of culpability on both sides.

I can't take you seriously anymore, sorry. Your past few posts are just raving luncacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭TallGlass2

Genuine question here.

Considering 3.2 million is a fair amount of money, can/could the driver sue the women now?

No, there isn't. There is not a lot of people who choose not to and anyone from Swords will tell you that.

I commuted that road for years and saw plenty of people cross the road without the aid of the bridge.

• Advertisement

I can't take you seriously anymore, sorry. Your past few posts are just raving luncacy.

Whereas yours have been devoid of a counter argument.

I commuted that road for years and saw plenty of people cross the road without the aid of the bridge.

Yeah, this is nonsense you are talking now. I know that area and i'm telling you practically everyone uses the bridge.

I have never seen anyone crossing the DC lanes.

It has bush and wires in the middle of it ffs.

You can't be taken in any way seriously.

Yeah, this is nonsense you are talking now. I know that area and i'm telling you practically everyone uses the bridge.

I have never seen anyone crossing the DC lanes.

It has bush and wires in the middle of it ffs.

You can't be taken in any way seriously.

People alighting northbound buses are known to cross where the bush and wire fence ends in order to access pavilions. As stated during the trial.

The wire fence ends well short of the bridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,510 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

If lazy and stupid people deserved to be hit with a car at 80km/h, the population would thin very quickly.

Lazy and stupid people running out in front of cars shouldn't be surprised if they get hit, and shouldn't get a payout due to their own stupidity. We have a payout compo culture here. There is no denying that.

People alighting northbound buses are known to cross where the bush and wire fence ends in order to access pavilions. As stated during the trial.

You are just wrong. Not even teenagers do that. They all use the bridge which is right there.

At night you might get the odd chancer, I don't know but I have never seen anyone not use the bridge and run across the road instead.

Do you know why?

Because it makes no sense.

Are you sure you know the road at all? Northbound buses stop on the Pavillions side so there's no need to cross the road. We drive on the left in Ireland.

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Are you sure you know the road at all? Northbound buses stop on the Pavillions side so there's no need to cross the road. We drive on the left in Ireland.

Not only that - the bus goes right to the door well off the roundabout on the DC. The southbound buses go from or through there too.

Correct. I should have said south bound. My mistake.

Lazy and stupid people running out in front of cars shouldn't be surprised if they get hit, and shouldn't get a payout due to their own stupidity. We have a payout compo culture here. There is no denying that.

She didn't get a payout due to her own stupidity. She received a payout due to partial culpability on the part of the motorist which resulted in severe injury.

That accident happened in 2018. I don't know exactly how the fence was at that time but Google maps shows that it's been completely sealed off between the time of the northbound view below (first image, May 2017, she crossed from her stop on the right) and the southbound view (second image, June 2019, her stop on the left). Someone now need to physically climb over the fence to cross.

Note how close the footbridge is in the first image.

543617.PNG

543618.PNG

She didn't get a payout due to her own stupidity. She received a payout due to partial culpability on the part of the motorist which resulted in severe injury.

No, her decision to cross the road resulted in her severe injury.

• Advertisement
Advertisement