Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How many days is the notice period?

Options
  • 18-05-2020 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭

My friend and I have been renting an apartment in Dublin since August of last year. The lease is up in early August. Neither of us have been in the apartment since mid-March (both went home to parents since work closed. Landlord is aware of this). We are not able to go back up until the travel restrictions are lifted on the 20th of July.

I have decided that I can't justify renting somewhere so expensive when this lease is up. I will have ended up paying 4 or 5 months rent when I wasn't even living there. At least if I had been renting a box room somewhere cheaper it wouldn't have been such a loss.

There seems to be no mention of a notice period on our lease. I am assuming a month?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭Xterminator

I know no one knows how long the pandemic will be; but as long as your stuff is in the apartment, you are there, landlord doesn't have a chance to relet.

anyway to answer your question notice periods are available on RTB website

New Notice Periods
    Duration of Tenancy Notice Period
    Less than 6 months 28 days
    Not less than 6 months but less than 1year 90 days
    Not less than 1year but less than 3 years 120 days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

I know no one knows how long the pandemic will be; but as long as your stuff is in the apartment, you are there, landlord doesn't have a chance to relet.

New Notice Periods

We have obviously been paying rent while not there, so the landlord shouldn't have been looking to lease it to anyone else anyway. We are planning on going up on 20th of July to pack up. The lease isn't up until August.

Thanks for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

New Notice Periods

That’s the notice period that the landlord needs to give the tenant. My understanding from the op is that they are looking for tenant notice periods to landlord which are a lot less:
    <6 months = 28 days
    6-12 months = 35 days
    1-2 years = 42 days
    2-4 years = 56 days
    4-8 years = 84 days
    8+ years = 112 days

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

It's worth having a chat with your landlord now.

You might be able to agree to an earlier termination if he manages to re-let quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Denise2007

Hi,

Is your lease for 1 year with a fixed date ? If so, it's a fixed term tenancy.

A fixed term tenancy is a tenancy that lasts for a specific amount of time as specified in your tenancy agreement or lease.

Review your lease to see what it says but if fixed then should expire on that date but let your landlord know you will not be renewing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement