Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you use public transport as much after the lockdown?

Options
13»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Lol hardcore cyclist to cycle 17k. I hope that was a joke. **** sake you could nearly run it if you were semi fit.

17k on a bike is absolutely nothing. My nearly 70 year old dad could do that ffs!

I could cycle 17km and have done it but it's not something most people are going to do on a daily basis

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

GT89 wrote: »
    I could cycle 17km and have done it but it's not something most people are going to do on a daily basis

My 5 year old cycled 5k with me running it the other day. If she can do 5k a fully grown adult should absolutely breeze through 17k unless they’re incredibly unfit (which in itself is a good reason to try) or have health issues.

All I’m saying anyway is that there are alternatives that should be used instead.

People seem to have forgotten how rapidly this virus spreads and how deadly it can be and has been.

I have zero doubt that you’d have a 2nd wave of this within weeks if buses and trains are crammed with people.

My 5 year old cycled 5k with me running it the other day. If she can do 5k a fully grown adult should absolutely breeze through 17k unless they’re incredibly unfit (which in itself is a good reason to try) or have health issues.

All I’m saying anyway is that there are alternatives that should be used instead.

People seem to have forgotten how rapidly this virus spreads and how deadly it can be and has been.

I have zero doubt that you’d have a 2nd wave of this within weeks if buses and trains are crammed with people.

I'm not anti cycling I would actually consider myself pro cycling. My belief is that cycling and public transport should co exist and complement rather than compete with one another. I would be highly supportive of safer cycling infrastructure.

The thing about cycling in Dublin is though that it is quite dangerous during rush hour traffic. I use the bus generally as I don't feel safe cycling with cars and HGVs whizzing past me.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Denmark have reduced it to 1m and from what I'm led to believe from what I've read masks are very uncommon there. Even some of the countries which have had mandatory mask wearing policies are now relaxing these.

LOL I know you would come back with Denmark. Which is why I used the word "most". From what I've seen it is the only country with a 1m rule, that doesn't have facemask rules. But all the other countries with 1m rules, e.g. France, Germany (1.5m), Australia (1.5m), Vietnam, South Korea, etc.

BTW Note that Denmark originally had a 2m rule. They only reduced it to 1m after they had contained and greatly reduced the number of cases.
    Most people who have alternative methods of sustainable transport instead of public transport use these already. Dublin by it's nature is spread out and many people need public transport to get into the city centre electric scooters are bit like putting a plaster on a gun shot wound.

No one is going to use an e scooter or even a push bike for that matter if they commute from Bray, Maynooth, Lucan, Ongar, Skerries, Citywest or Hazelhatch

The point is there are many people inside the M50 who use public transport. If you can keep those people off public transport, then that leaves more space for those outside of the M50.

Everything that can be done, should be done to encourage those who are inside the M50 to use other means.

And that means giving over more road space to walking and cycling.

But really is should also mean immediately clearing up the law around escooters.

There are many people who wouldn't find cycling attractive for a variety of reasons, but would jump at the opportunity to use an escooter. Sure, some just ignore that the law is currently a grey area on the matter, but many aren't willing to spend a couple hundred on an escooter until they are certain it won't be seized or get them in trouble with the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Here’s a thought...

I wonder how many people availed of the bike to work scheme that actually use it for that purpose.

funnily enough it’s actually traceable too.

• Advertisement

bk wrote: »
    LOL I know you would come back with Denmark. Which is why I used the word "most". From what I've seen it is the only country with a 1m rule, that doesn't have facemask rules. But all the other countries with 1m rules, e.g. France, Germany (1.5m), Australia (1.5m), Vietnam, South Korea, etc.

BTW Note that Denmark originally had a 2m rule. They only reduced it to 1m after they had contained and greatly reduced the number of cases.

I'm not nessecarily against masks but I'm skeptical about the practicality of wearing masks and then enforcing mask wearing. I'm far from an expert but from my limited knowledge masks are only effective if everyone was to wear one so all it would take is one person not to wear one for the virus to spread.
    The point is there are many people inside the M50 who use public transport. If you can keep those people off public transport, then that leaves more space for those outside of the M50.

Everything that can be done, should be done to encourage those who are inside the M50 to use other means.

And that means giving over more road space to walking and cycling.

But really is should also mean immediately clearing up the law around escooters.

There are many people who wouldn't find cycling attractive for a variety of reasons, but would jump at the opportunity to use an escooter. Sure, some just ignore that the law is currently a grey area on the matter, but many aren't willing to spend a couple hundred on an escooter until they are certain it won't be seized or get them in trouble with the law.

There has to be a balance struck though if you discourage people to use public transport then you run the risk of people driving and hence traffic congestion and pollution. Absolutely more space needs to be given to walking and cycling that's a no brainer.

My belief when it comes to cycling is that anything less than 10km is logical distance to cycle for commuting for the casual cyclist. As for e scooters I was under the impression that these were mostly being used for the last mile for example people would bring them on a bus or train then use the e scooter to commute from a bus stop or train station to their office.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

Why haven't the department of social protection restricted use of the free travel scheme during this period of seriously reduced capacity?

OAPs and people with health issues are still being advised to cocoon so there should be no need for people in these categories to be using public transport anyway

Prior to the Luas opening only certain types of free travel passes could be used during peak times, maybe this should be reinstated temporarily with peak times extended to 06.00 - 11.00 and 16.00 - 19.00

jahalpin wrote: »
    Why haven't the department of social protection restricted use of the free travel scheme during this period of seriously reduced capacity?

OAPs and people with health issues are still being advised to cocoon so there should be no need for people in these categories to be using public transport anyway

Prior to the Luas opening only certain types of free travel passes could be used during peak times, maybe this should be reinstated temporarily with peak times extended to 06.00 - 11.00 and 16.00 - 19.00

What about people who have a condition/disability that does not put them anymore risk than anyone else if they get covid 19? For example someone with mental health problems whose condition qualifies them for free travel. What about people in the 66-69 age bracket.

Also if these people were to use public transport then they would be putting themselves and transport staff at more risk as they may have to carry cash and spend longer time in proximity to a bus driver whilst paying their fare. Where as with free travel they would simply touch their pass on and sit down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭ec18

plan on getting an e bike and cycling when I need to be in the office, my employer has committed to an extended WFH but the announcement of that is a bit off atm

Advertisement