Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Annual Taxsaver Bus Rail leap card Coronavirus Covid 19 refund for not used ticket

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

I would check that, as there's no indication as yet past months will be refunded. The only refund mentioned at the moment is -
    For holders of TaxSaver tickets who will not be continuing in their current employment, a refund will be offered to cover the remaining period of ticket validity, from the time restrictions were put in place.

This presumably doesn't apply to you if you still have a HR department. If you are still with the same employer, then Taxsaver say they will give free travel credit at the end of the ticket period, but don't mention a refund.

So would be interesting to see if something different to what they're saying is now happening, as that might indicate progress. But I think it may be more likely you've taken HR up slightly wrong unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

cdeb wrote: »
    I would check that, as there's no indication as yet past months will be refunded. The only refund mentioned at the moment is -

You won't see this refund of course, because it will go to the company who have paid in full for the ticket.

So would be interesting to see if something different to what they're saying is now happening, as that might indicate progress. But I think it may be more likely you've taken HR up wrong unfortunately.

I don't know to be honest. All I'm saying is what was in the email I got from HR. Maybe it's mistake or he/she read the response from Taxsaver wrong. I'll let you all know at the end of next month..!!

Do - don't mean to come across as one of those "You're wrong!" internet types, but if you've gotten a refund for past months (which I don't think you have unfortunately), then that means something solid has happened after a couple of months of complete stasis really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 b4nnnn

I've contacted the Taxsaver about the refunds for the period since we've been working from home and they said that they indeed offer refunds, but they don't interfere how the companies decide to refund the employee. My company didn't offered me the refund, so based on what Taxsaver have said they could do it, they just decided it's better for them not to. I'm waiting for their reply on this.

Something doesn't stack up there. The Taxsaver ticket isn't your company's expense, it's yours. So there's no reason for the company to keep it.

Now what it could be is that Taxsaver do offer refunds for future unused periods. You wouldn't get a refund for that if you are paying on a monthly basis - because you haven't paid for it in the first place, and so can't get the refund. The company, who have paid for the ticket in full up front and are still owed (say) 5 months' payments by you, would then be entitled to keep the refund to reduce the amount you owe.

But that again assumes refunds for future periods, not past periods.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

I got a rail/bus/Luas ticket and haven't used it since March. I only see myself using it maybe once a week until next year. Is it definitely worthwhile cancelling it? I presume I'll be better off financially but just wanted to check if anyone could confirm.

Also why won't they refund back to April 1st if the ticket was unused?

MattS1 wrote: »
    Also why won't they refund back to April 1st if the ticket was used?
    I presume you mean if it wasn't used?

Only real answer to that is that the official line is they will extend the ticket duration, and make no reference to refunds - but details are still tbc.

The unspoken part is probably that they couldn't afford to turn around and refund what could be a half-year's income.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,154 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Could the state transport companies actually be saving money during this crisis? They are running less frequent services and additionally smaller trains so reducing maintenance costs yet still bringing the same taxsaver and social welfare travel monies?

I presume you mean if it wasn't used?

Only real answer to that is that the official line is they will extend the ticket duration, and make no reference to refunds - but details are still tbc.

The unspoken part is probably that they couldn't afford to turn around and refund what could be a half-year's income.

Sorry yes that's correct.

That's no use to me through because I'm clearly not going to get the same use of it using it once a week as if I was everyday going to work...very frustrating. I presume I should still cancel the ticket financially?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

Will be going back to work proper come sept. My annual ticket runs from 1st July to 30 June so haven't been able to use it since March when went into lockdown. So I presume they will extend it the few mths then?

• Advertisement

MattS1 wrote: »
    Sorry yes that's correct.

That's no use to me through because I'm clearly not going to get the same use of it using it once a week as if I was everyday going to work...very frustrating. I presume I should still cancel the ticket financially?
    It probably depends on a lot of things. I guess if the extension isn't worth it (if, as you say, you're only going into the office one or two days a week), then maybe it is time to cancel the ticket and cut your losses. But how much time is there left on it? How many months are you paying it over? The last two months of an annual ticket are considered free, so if you're paying over 12 months, there'd actually be a small extra cost to finish. Or if you pay in one lump at the start, it'd make sense to cancel and get something back.

Also, it might be too late now to cancel with effect from 1st June - so you're stuck with another month as cancellations only happen from the 1st of a month.

RGARDINR wrote: »
    Will be going back to work proper come sept. My annual ticket runs from 1st July to 30 June so haven't been able to use it since March when went into lockdown. So I presume they will extend it the few mths then?
    Yes, they say they will be extending tickets for the period (3½ months or so in your case)

But with the caveat that details all seem to be tbc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

Yes, they say they will be extending tickets for the period (3½ months or so in your case)

But with the caveat that details all seem to be tbc

Thanks just means be handy then I suppose. Will get me up until nearer to the new year as the job does it twice a year July to end of June and a normal calendar year so will get that one then. Hopefully sorted by September so. Thanks.

Could the state transport companies actually be saving money during this crisis? They are running less frequent services and additionally smaller trains so reducing maintenance costs yet still bringing the same taxsaver and social welfare travel monies?
    They're not bringing in the same Taxsaver income - people aren't renewing tickets.

And remember the amount that goes out of your payslip each month doesn't go to Taxsaver - it reimburses your employer, who has paid for the ticket in full up front. So they've got very little actual cash coming in.

Also, there's no cash fares or Leap card top-ups. So there's not even a remote chance that transport companies are doing well in all this. They're almost certainly suffering very badly, having to keep up some service while basically being told their customers are banned from using their service.

It probably depends on a lot of things. I guess if the extension isn't worth it (if, as you say, you're only going into the office one or two days a week), then maybe it is time to cancel the ticket and cut your losses. But how much time is there left on it? How many months are you paying it over? The last two months of an annual ticket are considered free, so if you're paying over 12 months, there'd actually be a small extra cost to finish. Or if you pay in one lump at the start, it'd make sense to cancel and get something back.

Also, it might be too late now to cancel with effect from 1st June - so you're stuck with another month as cancellations only happen from the 1st of a month.

I've been paying it since last October I think iirc using the 10 month plan through my employer.

So your tenth payment would be July - and if it's too late to cancel for June, then you'd at best get one month back.

Better than a kick up the arse, but at this stage it seems like it wouldn't make much difference if you cancel or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭cython

The NTA statement refers to the extended validity being deferrable:
    they will be offered a choice as to whether the months-in-lieu are to take effect immediately, or whether they want to use them at a later date.

So it may be the case that people going back a couple of days a week now are better off using epurse, but eventually may be travelling enough again to warrant resumption (e.g. next year).

No indication of how much flexibility may apply, obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

I have a tax saver for Rail, Bus and Luas which cost €2,050. The ticket started on 1st May 2019, and expired on 30th April 2020. The last day I used the ticket was Friday 14th March, the day after Leo made the very first announcement. I haven't been on public transport since and have been working from home since. I'll likely be working from home until late in the year.

My old employer arranged the tax saver ticket for me, but I left that job 8 months ago, and the remainder of the taxsaver was deducted from my final paycheck, which was a bit of a killer!

How do I go about getting a refund for the month and a half of my taxsaver ticket that I didn't use? Do I have to go back to my old employer on this? I'd rather not have to do that. But there is no information on the taxsaver website on how I should request my refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,831 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Chivito550 wrote: »
    I have a tax saver for Rail, Bus and Luas which cost €2,050. The ticket started on 1st May 2019, and expired on 30th April 2020. The last day I used the ticket was Friday 14th March, the day after Leo made the very first announcement. I haven't been on public transport since and have been working from home since. I'll likely be working from home until late in the year.

My old employer arranged the tax saver ticket for me, but I left that job 8 months ago, and the remainder of the taxsaver was deducted from my final paycheck, which was a bit of a killer!

How do I go about getting a refund for the month and a half of my taxsaver ticket that I didn't use? Do I have to go back to my old employer on this? I'd rather not have to do that. But there is no information on the taxsaver website on how I should request my refund.
    I got the below response. Not sure if it answers your question or not. Looks like you will have to go to ex employer.

Please note the following guidance, issued by the Authority on 1st May:

For commuters who are to continue employment with their current employer, under the NTA plan, the customer will be offered free travel for a number of months equivalent to the length of time they have been unable to use their ticket as a result of travel restrictions.

At the point when the customer returns to work, or on expiry of their ticket, they will make arrangements with their employer and they will be offered a choice as to whether the months-in-lieu are to take effect immediately, or whether they want to use them at a later date.

For holders of TaxSaver tickets who will not be continuing in their current employment, a refund will be offered to cover the remaining period of ticket validity, from the time restrictions were put in place.

Where the customer wishes to receive a refund rather than a replacement ticket, it is still open to them to make such a request via their employer under existing terms and conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,736 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I've been told that as the annual ticket includes 2 free months, they won't be refunded. My ticket expires end of this month so I'll get a 1 month refund for not using it in April/May/June.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The CIE and Luas annuals are priced as 10x monthlies; don't know if that principle applies to the private operators.

I don't think they're going to pull that on any extensions, though.

I think I may have used my ticket once in April and once in May; and I'm seriously considering going back on the train from Monday so doubt there's any extension for me!

I got my ticket via work in December to November this year.

I'll only be using it once a week until next year I'd imagine. Should I cancel it or what's best financially?

The more this goes on, the more it seems the best answer is to cancel and take the hit.

An extension won't be worth much if you're in the office once a week.

But everyone's circumstances are different of course.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Forgot I could check the usage on the phone (website has locked me out and reset emails seem to be sent by a human, so aren't being sent)

Didnt use it in May at all, did one tram trip in April. So might get a month. I'm still in five days a week, been driving a branded pool vehicle as it would get waved through checkpoints.

I figured out that if I'm in the office twice a week, the taxsaver is worth it. Once a week, it's not but there's not much in it. This is because I'm in Greystones, one return journey into town on the Dart and I hit the Leap daily cap, so the Taxsaver is very good value for me.

How do you work out if it's worthwhile to cancel it or not?

You'd probably have to see -

> How much you would get back (depends on how long is left, how many months you are paying over, etc)
    > How much that means to you nett (which would depend on whether you pay top-rate tax or not) and
    > How much use you expect to get out of any extended period

So if you got back €150 into your pocket for cancelling the last three months, that's only worth it if you expect to spend less than €150 on public transport over the three months' extension

loyatemu wrote: »
    I've been told that as the annual ticket includes 2 free months, they won't be refunded. My ticket expires end of this month so I'll get a 1 month refund for not using it in April/May/June.

Where are you hearing this? That can't be right. Would be completely unfair.

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Where are you hearing this? That can't be right. Would be completely unfair.

Company HR but they're getting it from Taxsaver. It's correct though, annual rail ticket is the price of 10 monthly tickets.

• Advertisement

loyatemu wrote: »
    Company HR but they're getting it from Taxsaver. It's correct though, annual rail ticket is the price of 10 monthly tickets.

Yes, but we purchased an annual ticket, not a 10 month ticket. Pretty sure if anyone in legal profession was arsed digging deep into this they'd have to refund for those 2 months.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement