Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus and the effect on Public transport

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

One twitter user has said there are "heaps of people" waiting on the platforms for services to restart at Connolly.

That can't be good when challenges of social distancing are increasing.

EDIT:

I just read on Twitter that rail services have now resumed north of Connolly. The question remains though is how the backlog of passengers, from not using the trains north of there, being maintained on buses & taxis running outside Connolly while the outage occurred on the overhead lines between Harmonstown & Howth/Malahide. Are buses & taxis still seeing a bigger increase in demand when rail services at Connolly were not running during that period particularly during a BHW?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,667 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Anyone heard anything on DC. There were expected to resume M9 services (others as well I assume) in September. That is not happening now and rumours circulating are its gone for good.

Not a rumour a company would want if its not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Is anyone aware of walkthroughs of public transport vehicles leaving major termini or spot checks en route? Because that’s what it’s gonna take (including pre arranged Garda presence).

https://twitter.com/colettebrowne/status/1289929242759712769?s=21

Dublin Bus have put up route changes for the 14, 44 & 44b in Dundrum from the 10th of August.
    Route Changes on Routes 14, 44 and 44b Published on Monday, July 27, 2020

We wish to advise customers that due to ttraffic flow changes proposed by DLRCC in response to Covid 19; to facilitate safe physical distancing for pedestrians and cyclists in Dundrum village, a one way system towards the city centre will be introduced. As a result the following route changes will take place from Monday 10 August 2020.

Route 14
    Route 14

Towards Dundrum Luas Station - No change to routing.

Towards Beaumont (Ardlea Rd.)

Buses will depart from stop 2825, Dundrum Road, Luas Dundrum, turn right onto Dundrum Main St., right on to Dundrum Road, right onto Taney Road (serving stop 7719) , right onto Sydenham Road (serving stop 7720) right onto Kilmacud Road upper and continue on to Ballinteer Road (serving stop 7718) and back on to normal route.

Please note stop 2826 Dundrum, Ballinteer Road will no longer be served.

Route%2014%20map%20Diversion.png

Route 44/44b
    Route 44

Towards DCU - No change to routing.

Towards Enniskerry

Normal route to Dundrum Luas (stop 2825), divert right onto Dundrum Main St., left onto Dundrum by-pass continuing to Roundabout at Tesco, left onto R117, right onto Sandyford Road and back onto normal route.

Please note stop 2826 Dundrum, Ballinteer Road, stop 2827 Sandyford Road, Citizen Advice Centre and stop 2828 Sandyford Road, Riversdale will no longer be served. For the nearest stops please use any of the three new stops (7715, 7716 and 7717) on the Dundrum by-pass.

Route 44b

Towards Dundrum Luas Station - No change to routing.

Towards Glencullen

Buses will now depart from stop 6041, Dundrum, Luas Dundrum, then right onto Dundrum Main St., left onto Dundrum by-pass continuing to Roundabout at Tesco, left onto R117, right onto Sandyford Road and back onto normal route.

Please note stop 2826 Dundrum, Ballinteer Road, stop 2827 Sandyford Road, Citizen Advice Centre and stop 2828 Sandyford Road, Riversdale will no longer be served. For the nearest stops please use any of the three new stops (7715, 7716 and 7717 ) on the Dundrum by-pass.

Route%2044%20and%2044b%20map%20Diversion.png

https://www.dublinbus.ie/News-Centre/General-News/Route-Changes-on-Routes-14-44-and-44b/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭p_haugh

I wonder why the new 14 stops on taney Road have new numbers even though they're at the same location as the current stops used by the 175/75 there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JeffK88

Would love to know this too. Considering I depend on this company for commuting. If they're gone alot of jobs gone too and I'm not only talking a out employees of the company. Including myself. **Refering to the above post by Jamie2k9 on Dublin Coach** forget to quote

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

That routing around Dundrum is going to add considerable time to the journey and also the roads aren't great for bus turning. That's for 44 and 14.
    I know the 75 and 175 do some of these but the road layouts are terrible for anyone in anything bigger then a car.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Anyone heard anything on DC. There were expected to resume M9 services (others as well I assume) in September. That is not happening now and rumours circulating are its gone for good.

Honestly the substance of the rumours that I've heard seem to be pretty much based on the fact that they are quiet and they are not operating at the moment so must mean they're not coming back. Seems a bit of a stretch.

They are far from the only operator which are not operating. GoBus and JJ Kavanagh, City Direct Galway among others are also not operating and I don't see that anyone is predicting their demise.

What I can tell you is going on behind the scenes is that the NTA and Department of Transport are having discussions with commercial bus operators, both public and private in relation to the effect that the COVID-19 pandemic has on their operation and when they can resume services in a sustainable way.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

Has anyone in NTA/Government explained how buses currently pretty full at peak times while operating at 50% passenger capacity are going to be able to accommodate the hordes of school children using the services from September onwards? from my own routes pre covid & the schools closing, the buses would be standing room only by the time they reached my stop. Can't fathom how its expected to work in September with severely reduced capacity. Opening schools later (10/11am) after morning commuters would have been an obvious idea to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,386 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Is the lack of public transport having an effect on traffic into Dublin? I’ve been in twice the past week up the N7 and found it was exceptionally busy well outside of peak rush hours.
    All those various frequent coaches like Dublin coach carry a lot of people, many of whom forced back into their cars. This is a major crisis that the government have completely allowed fester.

BTW the loss of Dublin coach would be a huge loss to the likes of Kilkenny- Bus Éireann pulled their route when they arrived and JJ Kavannagh are still off the road.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

road_high wrote: »
    Is the lack of public transport having an effect on traffic into Dublin? I’ve been in twice the past week up the N7 and found it was exceptionally busy well outside of peak rush hours.
    All those various frequent coaches like Dublin coach carry a lot of people, many of whom forced back into their cars. This is a major crisis that the government have completely allowed fester.

BTW the loss of Dublin coach would be a huge loss to the likes of Kilkenny- Bus Éireann pulled their route when they arrived and JJ Kavannagh are still off the road.

Well I havent been commuting back yet, but I am very reserved about going back on public transport to be honest. Will be biking it in whenever I'm instructed to return to office. If I didnt have that option I'd car it in

Jamie2k9 wrote: »

There’s a deluge of people on social media asking them but very little response for ages.
    DC had a very strong and frequent route map built up and would be a huge loss (despite a lot of the flack they get). I require it used the M9 one as it was quick, frequent and cheap.
    Now masks are compulsory the division distancing requirements will just have to renew your else we are stuck in the farcical limbo we are in of no proper public transport capacity.

Well I havent been commuting back yet, but I am very reserved about going back on public transport to be honest. Will be biking it in whenever I'm instructed to return to office. If I didnt have that option I'd car it in

I’m not too bothered. I accept there’s a risk but there is in everything we do in life. Else you’d never leave the front door.

Dublin coach social media- not looking too promising- last update was 3 months ago;
    https://www.facebook.com/209087559173226/posts/3008465702568717/

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Dublin coach social media- not looking too promising- last update was 3 months ago;
    https://www.facebook.com/209087559173226/posts/3008465702568717/

I wouldn't be unduly worried about the Dublin Coach situation at the moment.

It is a very big stretch to say that the fact they haven't posted on Facebook for a while and are not operating means it must be curtains for them, especially when there is absolutely nothing else to support such suggestion other than these two things.

They're probably simply not operating because it's more financially viable to keep vehicles in the depot than burning through huge amounts of cash by running them carrying barely anyone. Patience is needed during these times where demand is very low.

When there is news I'm sure that Dublin Coach, like GoBus, who incidentally have been silent for even longer on Facebook and their website, will release it. No company is going to give a running commentary and post a news article saying that there is no news today.

These are tough times for the industry and discussions according to an operator in the west of the country this morning, are continuing between operators and the relevant agencies in order to devise a way where bus and coach transport can ramp up in a sustainable way when the demand is there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Has anyone in NTA/Government explained how buses currently pretty full at peak times while operating at 50% passenger capacity are going to be able to accommodate the hordes of school children using the services from September onwards? from my own routes pre covid & the schools closing, the buses would be standing room only by the time they reached my stop. Can't fathom how its expected to work in September with severely reduced capacity. Opening schools later (10/11am) after morning commuters would have been an obvious idea to me.

I think the only solution to that is allow 100% capacity on buses. Of course they can look at staggering times in order to prevent overcrowding but not have buses go past "full" at 50%. Some countries have already gone back to 100% capacity I think Spain is gone back to 100% capacity along with masks.

If buses continue to only run at 50% capacity it wouldn't surprise me if many flocked to the trains and Luas instead if they have that option.

GT89 wrote: »
    I think the only solution to that is allow 100% capacity on buses. Of course they can look at staggering times in order to prevent overcrowding but not have buses go past "full" at 50%. Some countries have already gone back to 100% capacity I think Spain is gone back to 100% capacity along with masks.

If buses continue to only run at 50% capacity it wouldn't surprise me if many flocked to the trains and Luas instead if they have that option.

No standing I'd be happy with, hand sanitizer fitted and buses actually cleaned correctly....

No standing I'd be happy with, hand sanitizer fitted and buses actually cleaned correctly....

But the current limits allow standing it is 31 seated + 6 standing I thought. I don't see the problem with standing so long as people are not standing on top of the driver and up as far as the white line.

I think that is the key issue. Private companies aren’t going to drive over half empty buses around with the same costs as being practically full.
    This is going to become a major issue come September with schools and colleges back. Headless chickens running the country at the moment, no leadership. M Martin is proving to be a terrible Taoiseach already

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

Morning and evening rush is pretty much back to what it was, which it wouldn't normally be at this time of year as schools are off and people are on holidays etc. I'd imagine this is because a lot more people who can, are driving into work out of fear of Covid. In March during lockdown it took me 15/20 mins to get to/from work by bus. Now it's back up to at least 45 mins on a good day.

It's going to be much worse in September with teachers going to work and parents driving kids to school. In my area of West Dublin, the large volume of kids who use the bus to get to school generally do so alone so I assume parents don't have car or are working. I'm just surprised nobody in official Ireland has considered how they're going to fit these kids + regular commuters on buses with limited passenger capacity. Also, longer a bus spends stuck in traffic, more risk of covid exposure for passengers aboard it.

But the current limits allow standing it is 31 seated + 6 standing I thought. I don't see the problem with standing so long as people are not standing on top of the driver and up as far as the white line.

It's not going to work though is it.

It would be better all seats and no standing

Morning and evening rush is pretty much back to what it was, which it wouldn't normally be at this time of year as schools are off and people are on holidays etc. I'd imagine this is because a lot more people who can, are driving into work out of fear of Covid. In March during lockdown it took me 15/20 mins to get to/from work by bus. Now it's back up to at least 45 mins on a good day.

Driving is far worse for the health and wellbeing of society in the long run than taking public transport. All that extra pollution that's being emitted that your sitting in is hardly good for you. You are unlikely to get Covid on a bus or train.
    It's going to be much worse in September with teachers going to work and parents driving kids to school. In my area of West Dublin, the large volume of kids who use the bus to get to school generally do so alone so I assume parents don't have car or are working. I'm just surprised nobody in official Ireland has considered how they're going to fit these kids + regular commuters on buses with limited passenger capacity. Also, longer a bus spends stuck in traffic, more risk of covid exposure for passengers aboard it.

Also the longer you leave people standing out in the pissing rain and/or freezing waiting for a bus the higher the risk of causing them to catch pneumonia.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭john boye

Fully agree. I think The amount of wfh at the moment and for the foreseeable future would mean that 100% seating and no standing would comfortably take the demand in September. Tbh from the very low pax numbers I've seen since I've started dropping the nipper to creche in the morning I reckon a lot of routes could probably continue to work at 50% in September and still have room but it wouldn't fly across the whole network obviously.

It's not going to work though is it.

It would be better all seats and no standing

Could they not install some type of turnstile/barrier to stop people crowding around the driver and keep the aisle. Would mean that people can't get off at the front doors.

Could they not install some type of turnstile/barrier to stop people crowding around the driver and keep the aisle. Would mean that people can't get off at the front doors.

Wheelchair, buggy and other issues would mean no....

I don't see how you can ban standing full stop even normally even when there's free seats there are people who will choose to stand also some gob****es will stand downstairs and not look for seats upstairs.

There could be a recurring problem to resolve with your idea.

If schools are told by the government to run a full schedule of classes while they're told to open an hour or two later in the mornings; that would not be an ideal situation when students are trying to get home from school later on in the day. Schools would need to have their timetables extended to run all classes that they are required to run later into the early evening. This is a bad idea in hindsight because secondary school students with no transport being officially provided from schools once classes are finished would be left with the impossible task of using PT services to get them home with other commuters during the height of the evening rush hour for 4 days a week. That would not be acceptable to any schools being left with that situation at all if they're located in any of the big towns or cities around the country.

There will be a much higher risk of Covid being spread in these circumstances. It's all about prevention of spreading this virus when dealing with this situation.

Secondary schools open on Wednesdays don't have that issue btw because they operated on half days pre-covid.

Students who take PT home on that day are usually leave school between midday & lunchtime. Some students do take PT home later that day because they would have to take part in extra curricular activities like rugby, soccer & hockey training or matches taking place after school. I don't know what the plans are with students doing those activities during this pandemic. Are they any detailed plans for students & staff doing those activities while they are still in schools during the week?

Heard that online DB drivers have been told not to challenge passengers who board without masks and say they are medically exempt.

• Advertisement

Duncan Stewart's repeat of BusConnects & Congestion on EcoEye is being shown on RTÉ One.

Advertisement