Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kent Station Train Depot to Relocate

• 19-12-2019 3:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭

So Irish rail are actively seeking a greenfield site to relocate the train care depot as the space will be needed for "Cork Metropolitan Area Transport Strategy" for expansion of rail services in Cork city and county.

Cllr James O' Connor is pushing IE to consider the Mallow/Buttevent area to relocate the depot to.

There is a brief article on his facebook page that you can find easily. I am on the work laptop so cant post the link.

Wonder how much of it is true? I'd imagine the old yard out Past Tivoly would be a great spot and keeping the jobs in the same area. Mr O'Connor is saying it will bring a lot of jobs to Mallow should they decide to relocate there but wouldnt it take jobs from the city then? I guess the old sugar factory site would be a great location but it would involve a new level crossing but i guess where ever they move it to is going to require a hell of a lot of Engineering.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭BowWow

They should move it east of Middleton, near to Youghal would be good. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,511 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The old sugar factory site, where they were going to build houses but forgot that the river comes out there when it floods? Way to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Board Walker

No it doesn't. They elevated the site.

No it doesn't. They elevated the site.

It's only been idle, what, 13 years and that's all that's happened?

It's only been idle, what, 13 years and that's all that's happened?

The back of the factory was always elevated off the river, it was about 15 feet higher than the opposite bank. The factory never flooded. I spent enough time there to know ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

The post:
    Today I spoke about the potential for Irish Rail to relocate its Cork Train Depot to Mallow/Buttevant. This move will deliver jobs for the region.

The current storage and maintenance depot in Kent Station has the capacity to hold just eight train sets. Under the Cork Metropolitan Area Transport Strategy (CMATS) expansion of rail services in Cork City & County will require a greater amount of platform space at Kent Station.

Irish Rail are seeking a suitable greenfield location for a new depot to free up space at Kent. Mallow and Buttevant are in a position to provide easy access to the Cork-Dublin line.

I will be discussing this with Irish Rail, and our Fianna Fáil Councillors in the Mallow Municipal District.

Well if IE want to be seen as "green" then a depot in Mallow isn't the way to go. Potentially lot of miles for empty train runs per year!

I think it will be along the commuter lines if re-located or just north of Cork. They could always get rid of part of the car park and construct 2-3 bays to stable trains. Currently I think more than 8 can be handled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭SeanW

I hope that any reconfiguration of Kent station will do something about the ridiculous curve on the main platform. Maybe move the main shed a little to the East?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

SeanW wrote: »
    I hope that any reconfiguration of Kent station will do something about the ridiculous curve on the main platform. Maybe move the main shed a little to the East?

Don't even go there - I'm sure CIE would love to pull the whole structure down.

The back of the factory was always elevated off the river, it was about 15 feet higher than the opposite bank. The factory never flooded. I spent enough time there to know ;)

Regardless, a level crossing would be a no no. They're trying to get rid of them, not put more in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Markcheese

SeanW wrote: »

The further east you go with the platforms the further people would have to walk , (heading for town obviously ),

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Does IE still own the former freight yard in Little Island?

dowlingm wrote: »
    Does IE still own the former freight yard in Little Island?

Ideal Location.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I would of thought the freight yard is what is being mooted as the park and ride east - Great location for a P&R Also - the site is pretty decent size so might be a way to accomodate both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

Regardless, a level crossing would be a no no. They're trying to get rid of them, not put more in.

the level crossing was always there so it would be a renewal, not an installation.

It's just vote-chasing, take no notice, it makes no sense at all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭MrAbyss

Isambard wrote: »
    the level crossing was always there so it would be a renewal, not an installation.

It's just vote-chasing, take no notice, it makes no sense at all.

So IE is not building a new depot anywhere in Cork?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,137 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

MrAbyss wrote: »
    So IE is not building a new depot anywhere in Cork?

they very well may be, but it's unlikely to be at mallow beet factory.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words.

they very well may be, but it's unlikely to be at mallow beet factory.

Maybe that councillor should buy the land for IE or the landowners should donate the site.

Senseless for IE to buy land when they have suitable sites of their own.

Senseless for IE to buy land when they have suitable sites of their own.

I'm sure they didn't own the land in Laois for LTC and FF had a hand in its location on the flip side you then have IE spending a significant amount of money converting Drogheda into an ICR deport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭dowlingm

A train care depot would involve lots of late night/early morning noise and train movements. The jobs might be welcome but in a non-industrial location the impact on property values less so. If the TCD was in Tivoli or Little Island then you have Mark 4s and ICRs heading over and back Past houses on the Glanmire Road in addition to the existing traffic, and vice versa if you put it in Blackpool or further north.

IE possibly do need a few more places where trains are staged, with hotel power and light cleaning in order to reduce deadheading.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭IE 222

Presumably the 2900s will be getting transferred to both Cork and Limerick once the new Dart fleet arrives. It might be better building the one depot in Limerick Jct to cater for both while providing facilities in Cork and Limerick to cater for minor work.

• Advertisement

[HTML][/HTML]
    A train care depot would involve lots of late night/early morning noise and train movements. The jobs might be welcome but in a non-industrial location the impact on property values less so. If the TCD was in Tivoli or Little Island then you have Mark 4s and ICRs heading over and back Past houses on the Glanmire Road in addition to the existing traffic, and vice versa if you put it in Blackpool or further north.

IE possibly do need a few more places where trains are staged, with hotel power and light cleaning in order to reduce deadheading.

Have you ever lived next to a railway line? I can bet you after night 2, unless its rail works you wont wake.

Right now there isn't much maintenance carried out in Cork. Anything other than routine is generally send to Dublin, LTC or Limerick. In future I suspect they could really only justify 29 facility and ICR to empty tanks/refuel. They send I think two 2600 to Limerick each week and that set up might just continue if you consider the costs of two facilities in Limerick/Cork for a small fleet.

The Mark IVs likely not need to visit and be stored in the sidings at Cork as needed like plenty of the other fleets. Only 2/6 overnight in Cork and at its peak it was just 3/6.

It will probally be around Rathpeacon if the need arises.

People live next to rail lines all over the world.
    If they don't like it, they can move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭fastrac

Dairygold will shortly be closing down the Old Blarney Railway Station Yard which adjoins the Cork Mallow Rd and Blarney Business Park.Might be a runner if the long awaited North Link road gets built.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭xtradel

Slightly off topic, was was here and does anybody know the history of it?

*Edit* Its the site of the old Blarney Park Hotel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    The post:

Well if IE want to be seen as "green" then a depot in Mallow isn't the way to go. Potentially lot of miles for empty train runs per year!

I think it will be along the commuter lines if re-located or just north of Cork. They could always get rid of part of the car park and construct 2-3 bays to stable trains. Currently I think more than 8 can be handled.

Agreed it should be along the commuter lines. A good enough reason to restore Midleton to Youghal.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭ohographite

What exactly is going to be put on the site of the current depot?

most likely hotels :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

More glass cages.

The new TCD will not be built. They will just contract out the maintenance and repair of the units to someone and they will be hauled off by road for major refurbishments at some remote location, possibly in the UK. The day of building train sheds is gone. A lot of ICRs will simply be replaced rather than undergo a major refurbishment. There are so many of them now that it is nearly nonsensical to invest in refurbishment, especially when there are a lot more votes to be had by the spectacle of the delivery of brand new trains rather than the more mundane routine of refurbishing existing sets. 2600s will be scrapped soon, followed by the 2800 and 29000s. I predict that we will see the first Mk IVs scrapped in the next 5 years and the first ICRs scrapped before the 2020s are out.

• Advertisement

More glass cages.

The new TCD will not be built. They will just contract out the maintenance and repair of the units to someone and they will be hauled off by road for major refurbishments at some remote location, possibly in the UK. The day of building train sheds is gone. A lot of ICRs will simply be replaced rather than undergo a major refurbishment. There are so many of them now that it is nearly nonsensical to invest in refurbishment, especially when there are a lot more votes to be had by the spectacle of the delivery of brand new trains rather than the more mundane routine of refurbishing existing sets. 2600s will be scrapped soon, followed by the 2800 and 29000s. I predict that we will see the first Mk IVs scrapped in the next 5 years and the first ICRs scrapped before the 2020s are out.

Contracting maintenance out or not doesn't change the fact if Cork expands significantly over next 15-20 years then more space would be needed to park trains. Such a facility would have to contain basic facilities to carry out minor work, fuel, emptying tanks.

They already have a facilities to do heavy work on the fleet so yes in that sense we won't see another Portlaoise or Drogheda built apart from the new depot for DART fleet.

Advertisement