Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GEM Finances

Options
  • 27-05-2014 8:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi All,

Not sure if this has been covered in detail on a previous thread, but would be great to hear from current GEM students on how they are coping with managing the finance aspect of things. I will most likely be living away from home for the duration of the course, and while I have some savings, they won't be enough to last for more than one year of the course.

So, is it possible to work for the duration of the course (or maybe only for 1,2 or 3 of the years?). If you are planning on taking electives during the Summer would be great if you could provide insight on the associated costs. Any other information about coping with the burden would be much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭pharmacrunch

Ill be in the same boat as you federerisbetter!

Will be living away from home, have enough savings for approximately one year.

Hopefully the timetable will allow for part time work as I would be pretty dependent on this.!

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Roger_that

I can only speak from my own experience but you can definitely work in first and second year. You just need to be organised and good with your time. Lectures aren't mandatory and in many cases you'd actually learn more reading a textbook anyway. In UCD you've got 4 months off after 1st year and 2 months off after 2nd and 3rd year which is plenty of time of bank some cash if you can find yourself a job. If not, mature students are entitled to claim the dole in the summer months.

Is anyone else absolutely petrified about the prospect of funding this course?

I cant seem to get excited about starting as the thought of the loan itself terrifies me, not least the as yet non existent living expenses for the four years.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 RD/ID

I cant seem to get excited about starting as the thought of the loan itself terrifies me, not least the as yet non existent living expenses for the four years.

I feel exactly the same way. I thought I would be so relieved when I got my results, but now all I can think about is being straddled with debt well into my 40s.

RD/ID wrote: »
    I feel exactly the same way. I thought I would be so relieved when I got my results, but now all I can think about is being straddled with debt well into my 40s.

Its good to know I am not the only one thinking along these lines.

I envy the people who just launch head first into it. I know of one friend doing it who simply will "deal with the debt when she finishes" -Id love just an ounce of that nature.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Elsa Hayes

Check out Paul Cullen's article in the Times last week -Irish Medical students 'facing a debt crisis' - (couldn't post article link).

A frightening UCC survey on current medical students and their debts. A real reality check for any prospective student this year.

Advertisement