Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hi All. Newbie here.

Options
  • 29-08-2018 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,077 ✭✭✭✭

Good evening folks! I'm an old time gamer from the 80s in arcades that moved on to the at home consoles like the Sega/PS1/2/4 along with the XBox/Wii etc etc via my son and even younger daughter. I dabbled on my PC as an adult with cracking games such as Need for Speed and the underrated Incoming. My question is simple. Is TOKEN in Dublin worth a visit for someone like me who wants to show a 10 year old daughter what it used to be like back in the 80s?

For the record I was a feckin expert at Outrun and finished it in the Pierre Club, Dublin back in the late 80s.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Good evening folks! I'm an old time gamer from the 80s in arcades that moved on to the at home consoles like the Sega/PS1/2/4 along with the XBox/Wii etc etc via my son and even younger daughter. I dabbled on my PC as an adult with cracking games such as Need for Speed and the underrated Incoming. My question is simple. Is TOKEN in Dublin worth a visit for someone like me who wants to show a 10 year old daughter what it used to be like back in the 80s?

For the record I was a feckin expert at Outrun and finished it in the Pierre Club, Dublin back in the late 80s.

Welcome, and I would say yes to Token. Apart from the beer I guess which we didn't really have back then.
    Some people on here have Outrun dedicated cabinets , you should get one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Token was over 18s the last time I was there. This was a few months ago though so I'm not sure if it had since changed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Definitely worthy of a trip. I’m not sure how much the place rewards repeat visits, but absolutely worth your time. The reports I’ve had from relatives with younger children have been gushing too, so definitely an appeal for a younger crew.
    o1s1n wrote: »
    Token was over 18s the last time I was there. This was a few months ago though so I'm not sure if it had since changed.

Pretty sure it’s open to families during the day now :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Token is open to all during the day at least.
    But if kids and teens are going they have to be supervised by an adult.

And welcome to the forum

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

It's open to all but they no longer open at 12pm Monday to Friday and is 18+ from 4pm. Weekends open at 12 and kids are welcome until 4pm as far as I know but I doubt they'd be quick to throw you out unless it got busy.

Strictly 4 people minimum for bookings for food though but only really required for Friday's/Saturdays. Food is nice, service has been mixed in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

For up to date info go to their FB page and send them a message with your specific request, see what they can suggest

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

They’ve a mario kart driver that your kids might show you up on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,077 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Many thanks guys for all the info re TOKEN. Really appreciate it. As an aside I'd be interested in finding out more about the Outrun cabinets.:D Although I only ever used the sit in version. Furthermore has anyone any info on the original Atari Star Wars games, specifically the first two wireframe graphic versions. May be a crazy question, but are there any downloadable versions? Please forgive my oldie ignorance.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

Many thanks guys for all the info re TOKEN. Really appreciate it. As an aside I'd be interested in finding out more about the Outrun cabinets.:D Although I only ever used the sit in version. Furthermore has anyone any info on the original Atari Star Wars games, specifically the first two wireframe graphic versions. May be a crazy question, but are there any downloadable versions? Please forgive my oldie ignorance.:(

The vector games are available alright.
    However its against the rules to share links to ROMs here.

You'll need to download the MAME emulator, preferably the latest version and go look for the roms online.

Thats your go to emulator for everything arcade.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Outrun midi for sale on UKVAC.

It is a rarer Outrun cab so £1300

http://www.ukvac.com/forum/outrun-midi_topic365591.html

IMG_5601.JPG

IMG_5600.JPG

• Advertisement
Advertisement