Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda and one other shot

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

Scum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Hope the Garda makes a full and speedy recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The armed units are fncking brilliant. They take all of the flack and none of the glory.

The low rate of Garda injuries and low number of people shot by Gardai is a testament to their professionalism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

Scum

Harsh on the Garda maybe the other guy was?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Amazing work by the ERU.

I spoke to one a while back and the passion he had for his job was unbelievable. I asked him if he had any decent hollywood-esque stories, but he said most of the guys they deal with don't see them coming - "we visit our clients while they're still in bed and they wake up to this" gesturing to his gun with a big smile on his face. For some reason that seemed even cooler than what I had expected

Incredible that when someone shoots a member like today, they defuse the situation and manage to arrest someone with a non-life threatening shot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

It was the same gaf involved in the previous altercation in Ballymun.

How the ERU didn't unload on the shooter is beyond me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Here's hoping our court system responds appropriately but I won't hold out my hope on that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,719 ✭✭✭lertsnim

TallGlass wrote: »
    Here's hoping our court system responds appropriately but I won't hold out my hope on that one.

A Garda shot will have all the books in the library thrown at him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

lertsnim wrote: »
    A Garda shot will have all the books in the library thrown at him.

Taking a Garda's life used to mean a death sentence in the courts. It was usually commuted to life in prison

• Registered Users Posts: 15,790 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

How the ERU didn't unload on the shooter is beyond me.

Knowing this place they'd probably be sued by the 'grieving family'.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Don Kiddick

Taking a Garda's life used to mean a death sentence in the courts. It was usually commuted to life in prison

Or a few years inside and a taxi ride home from Martin Ferris in more recent years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Might not get probation. Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Three people have been arrested in connection with a search in Ballymun this morning in which a garda and a teenager were shot and injured.
    The three people, two women and a man, were arrested on suspicion of possession of a firearm.

Seems like an open-and-shut case...

🤪

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    suspicion of possession of a firearm.
    Seems like an open-and-shut case...
    Shooter on the "grassy knoll" defense?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭lightspeed

Danbo! wrote: »
    Amazing work by the ERU.

I spoke to one a while back and the passion he had for his job was unbelievable. I asked him if he had any decent hollywood-esque stories, but he said most of the guys they deal with don't see them coming - "we visit our clients while they're still in bed and they wake up to this" gesturing to his gun with a big smile on his face. For some reason that seemed even cooler than what I had expected

Incredible that when someone shoots a member like today, they defuse the situation and manage to arrest someone with a non-life threatening shot.

Its more disappointing than incredible.

The guy was armed with a gun, fired and injured a garda. The gardai responded to this by to taking the utmost care not to kill him and this impresses you?

Once he fired a weapon at a member of the gardai not giving a **** if killed one of them, that should be fair game to take his head off his shoulders.

Im really disappointed they didnt do the right thing and shoot him dead. We are so weak, its no wonder criminals know they have all the power.

Instead he will go to prison probably for 5 years or less at cost to the tax payer, come out and most likely return to a life of crime. Are we suppose to look at that and say job well done?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,946 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

lightspeed wrote: »

The guy was armed with a gun, fired and injured a garda. The gardai responded to this by to taking the utmost care not to kill him and this impresses you?

Once he fired a weapon a member of the gardai not giving a **** if killed one of them, thats fair game to take his head off his shoulders.

Im really disappointed they didnt do the right thing and shoot him dead. We are so weak, its no wonder criminals know they have all the power.

Instead he will go to prison probably for 5 years or less at cost to the tax payer, come out and most likely return to a life of crime. Are we suppose to look at that and say job well done?
    You would rather that we were more like Murica?
    :rolleyes:

kbannon wrote: »
    You would rather that we were more like Murica?
    :rolleyes:

In some ways yes absolutely. In Merica they are much stricter on crime and you would not shoot at a police officer and then live to talk of it. i see no reason what you should.

People criticise Merica for the likes of their 3 strike rule in some states which has people spending lengthy sentences for committing a series of offences.

Look at ireland when you regularly read an article about some scumbag after attacking someone in a burglary or commiting a murder and it says they have over 100 convictions already.

So yes of course Id like us to be more like Merica when it comes to policing and punishment of criminals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Reporter on RTE says "Someone Could Have Been Killed"

No **** man, I'm sure that was the whole point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

In some ways yes absolutely. In Merica they are much stricter on crime and you would not shoot at a police officer and then live to talk of it. i see no reason what you should.

People criticise Merica for the likes of their 3 strike rule in some states which has people spending lengthy sentences for committing a series of offences.

Look at ireland when you regularly read an article about some scumbag after attacking someone in a burglary or commiting a murder and it says they have over 100 convictions already.

So yes of course Id like us to be more like Merica when it comes to policing and punishment of criminals.

How does all of the above affect crime figures in america? Are citizens safer here or in America? Do people feel safer here or in murica?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭Odhinn

All well and good if it worked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

Once he fired a weapon at a member of the gardai not giving a **** if killed one of them, that should be fair game to take his head off his shoulders.

i thought i heard on the radio that their would be an inquiry or investigation into the events .The only inquiry should be done with an armed guard standing over the scum saying ''are you sure he's dead ''
    Guards are to easy a target in this country , and its really surprising that more haven't been shot in recent years

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

I know the Garda that was shot,sound fella , has two kids.hope he makes a full recovery

RustyNut wrote: »
    How does all of the above affect crime figures in america? Are citizens safer here or in America? Do people feel safer here or in murica?

Its not really possible to answer that question accurately. We are comparing apples to oranges when we take into account the easy access to guns in Merica.

How people feel really is not empirical evidence to just ask people how they feel to determine if one form of policing and punishment is more efficient than the others.

I reckon people do feel safer in Merica overall. My brother lives in South Carolina which would have high gun ownership. I would be dead against mass gun ownership here like in the US. However, your asking if they feel safer. The americans I spoke with living there seemed to feel safer with their guns. So if we were to base how people feel as the benchmark to work against, we would encouraging mass gun ownership to allow people to police and protect themselves.

Im not sure of the exact difference in crime figures, but again its hard to compare accurately. Its been reported in recent years that some crimes have but that may well be because people have lost faith the gardai and the justice system. This may well be further the case considering some garda stations were closed in recent years.

My brother wife's car was recently broken into in Merica outside her house. All they got was a change purse with a few coins. The thieves had broken into some other cars in the area also. The police dealing with it were very insistent that she report the crime and appear in court when required as he said these guys would be going away for several years. There is very little crime in their area and some people dont even lock all their house doors when leaving. So again they probably feel safer than some here but not sure if thats a worthwhile benchmark.

Advertisement