Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homeless mother forced to sleep in car

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,973 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

golfball37 wrote: »
    Cashel to Nenagh is not just down the road. Just to play devils advocate here. If her kids are going to school there it’s insane to be living that far away.

I’m no way saying she should be entitled to everything she wants but she is within her rights to say no.
    And the state should be within it's rights to say tough, take it or leave it.

She was already in arrears to them from her last place before she fecked off to the UK!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,179 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

mick087 wrote: »
    Oh yes i do believe that she did sleep in the car to highlight her problem and maybe get a house.

Arrears well if she had no job and wasn't working then you should not be paying rent for a council house. i for one would not be able live on social welfare alone let alone pay towards rent to.

i get the zero sympathy but my guess is your or no one you know has been in such a unfortunate situation so you wouldn't have any sympathy.
    What if it was you ? what if this was your daughter or sister? Ok its not going to happen. But if it does?

if it was one of my sisters i would tell them to cop on and accept the house offered and not go sleeping in a car to attract sympathy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

gmisk wrote: »
    Dublin city council released figured not that long ago.
    60 percent in arrears...20 percent over 6 months in arrears.
    Sure why bother if pretty much zero chance of being kicked out?!

Then people wonder why housing crisis, any money that can be reinvested into building house is lost because rent is not paid

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

timetogo1 wrote: »
    As it stands now, yes. But if they were taken into care their situation may improve.
    And I know Ireland doesn't have a good reputation of the state looking after children. But before we fall back on that maybe we could try and improve the situation. Ah feck, again, I know that'd probably need a quango and years of work to basically do nothing. :mad:

You are right , but the government doesn't give 2 fooks sadly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Then people wonder why housing crisis, any money that can be reinvested into building house is lost because rent is not paid

And not the government wasting it as per usual

Note : i agree with ur post but more factors sadly contribute

• Advertisement

She i would say slept in the car to highlight the situation.
    The only way for you to understand emergency accommodation is to spend a night in it , then tell me you think its suitable for someone let alone a mother with kids. That's not having a go its something you should try before criticizing.
    I would without question say that them kids even i that car was in a much safer environment than any goverment child services could provide.

You haven’t read the article have you?

The woman herself wants to go into emergency accommodation.

I’m not even going to go there with your last paragraph.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,265 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Yes this does seem to be a difficlt one that i agree. But we must believe her at her word at the moment.

She might have a good reason for not wanting that house.
    Remove the kids thats madness.
    Some people do extreme things to bring attention to there situation and many times this could be one. Then again maybe she might be playing us for a fool.
    Put yourself in her situation how would you like to be treated?

I was never the brightest in school and wasn’t good with my hands and I had a fair idea I was never going to have a well paying job, etc.
    So, I knew I always had to be careful regarding having sex, etc because I knew I wouldn’t be able to give kids a good life if I had them.
    People essentially need to relies this.
    If I was in the situation I believe I’d accept what I was offered.

Oh yes i do believe that she did sleep in the car to highlight her problem and maybe get a house.

Arrears well if she had no job and wasn't working then you should not be paying rent for a council house. i for one would not be able live on social welfare alone let alone pay towards rent to.

i get the zero sympathy but my guess is your or no one you know has been in such a unfortunate situation so you wouldn't have any sympathy.
    What if it was you ? what if this was your daughter or sister? Ok its not going to happen. But if it does?
    Rent should be deducted at source. Problem solved. Of course she should have to contribute something. Do you know how tiny most rents are in a council house? You literally just want to give away houses like it's a fecking gameshow?

I have worked since I was 14 doing absolutely everything and anything, supported myself through college. My sister has done the same.

My parents had a council house til I was about 6. But you know what they both worked their @rses off, my dad abroad on building sites and my mum as a nurse to improve theirs and our lives, always paid the rent. Then we moved out and left the council house for someone else who needed it.

The system is being abused and gamed by people like this woman. She clearly has no intention of doing anything bar pulling a stunt like this to improve her lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

She's homeless by choice. She's being offered a home in Cashel but it doesn't suit because it's not close enough to her mammy.

Hard to find any sympathy for her, but I do feel sorry for the kids being made to sleep in a car in an attempt to emotionally blackmail people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Personally I would think of the kids first, if offered a house No matter where it was I would move and work out school later, it’s the usual from some people

Fire out a load of kids with no plan how to look after them and then when it doesn’t go right expect every single whim catered for

This will continue now, every person wants a hous arrive at a Garda station or sit in a car Nd ring the press and then expect to get a house straight away

I

• Advertisement

I have sympathy for people who are homeless through whatever circumstances, low paid jobs, being fired etc.
    The film Rosie did a great job of highlighting people who are extremely deserving of support and help.

This woman is not homeless.

She has been given plenty of support and opportunities. This is a show for the cameras to get a house exactly where she wants it ....ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

Personally I would think of the kids first, if offered a house No matter where it was I would move and work out school later, it’s the usual from some people

Fire out a load of kids with no plan how to look after them and then when it doesn’t go right expect every single whim catered for

This will continue now, every person wants a hous arrive at a Garda station or sit in a car Nd ring the press and then expect to get a house straight away

I
    you are nearly right. She does have a plan, to have everything handed to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,265 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I’m very relaxed about people getting social housing, social welfare, etc. I don’t envy their lives. However I believe some people really milk the system all together similar to this woman from what we can see from her so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭VillageIdiot71

if it was one of my sisters i would tell them to cop on and accept the house offered and not go sleeping in a car to attract sympathy.
    In fairness, its a disfunctional story. Papers give these folk airplay because they know it will get our attention, even if to just to vent. On the other hand, folk are willing to make an exhibition of themselves because the gain is quite high - a house, just where you want it.

Would you get your tits out in the Star to get a house on Sorrento Terrace? Probably. Sadder if you're willing to humiliate your children just for a lottery ticket for a house in Cashel.

I find these stories make me more open to accepting the Magdalene laundries as a solution that suited their time. I don't see yer wan with her five kids as much of an improvement on strong social sanctions against unplanned reproduction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭mick087

I’m not even going to go there with your last paragraph.

Yes i read the artical.

Then don't go there.

But don't criticize judge the woman because of what you have read.

Ok if that's how you would handle it that's fair enough.
    I hope that you don't have to find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭KevRossi

KiKi III wrote: »
    People hate poor people who try and scam the state at a much more visceral level than rich people who do it.

I hate both and both should be pulled up on it when it happens.
    Cashel to Nenagh is not just down the road. Just to play devils advocate here. If her kids are going to school there it’s insane to be living that far away.

I’m no way saying she should be entitled to everything she wants but she is within her rights to say no.

There are schools in Cashel too. She has already choosen to move from Shannon to London to Nenagh, so moving schools, though upsettling isn't the biggest issue.

The big issue here is that she actively chooses to have her kids sleep in a car rather than in a house. Her choice and it's not right.

Ok if that's how you would handle it that's fair enough.
    I hope that you don't have to find out.

I hope i dont either but accepting an offer that improves your situation has to be the best course of action. note that i said "improves your situation" not "perfect solution".

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

Mick087 you should take her and the kids in.

Surely her family looking on could also help her out. I mean what Normal parent would let the kids sleep in a car, what Normal grandparent would let her daughter and grand kids sleep in the car.

The answer is they are chancers. Her kids will be doing the same thing (tactics) in 18 years. I bet her mother did it before her. It works love this is what you have to do.

Well cry me a river, build a boat and fcek off.

Yes i read the artical.

Then don't go there.

But don't criticize judge the woman because of what you have read.

I judge on what she has been quoted as saying.

But you know what, this story isn’t going to make her the poster girl that Margaret Cash was (who, btw, can’t wait till her hubby comes home). RTÉ and the rest won’t touch it with a barge pole as she has admitted that she was given every assistance by the council but it wasn’t up to her standards.

Leave her in the car. There are much more worthy people in need than her that need our empathy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Lolle06

They were going to school there from February to mid March (until schools closed). They moved over from England!
    They might as well start school in Cashel.

I was never the brightest in school and wasn’t good with my hands and I had a fair idea I was never going to have a well paying job, etc.
    So, I knew I always had to be careful regarding having sex, etc because I knew I wouldn’t be able to give kids a good life if I had them.
    People essentially need to relies this.
    If I was in the situation I believe I’d accept what I was offered.

No i was never great at school myself but i had great parents and an excellent happy upbringing.

Yes you have to be careful your right but many who are eduacted and have well paid jobs would not have the common sense you show. You show that you take reasonability for yourself and your actions.

Yes people do need to realize what your saying but folk from a working class background are in a totally uneven arena in life. Keep them poor keep them uneducated keep them in debt then you control them.

Why should you accept what you was offered if what you was offered was not fair to began with?

I

You are not her.
    Maybe if she had a decent education with a decent health service things might of been differernt.

This has happened may times before this and will continue to do so untill there is real equity for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭whippet

Tusla should step in - bring the kids to proper accommodation and away from the woman who insists they sleep in a car or field in a tent - for their own safety.

The children's allowance should then be cancelled and it might soften the cough a little

• Registered Users Posts: 4,396 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

No i was never great at school myself but i had great parents and an excellent happy upbringing.

Yes you have to be careful your right but many who are eduacted and have well paid jobs would not have the common sense you show. You show that you take reasonability for yourself and your actions.

Yes people do need to realize what your saying but folk from a working class background are in a totally uneven arena in life. Keep them poor keep them uneducated keep them in debt then you control them.

Why should you accept what you was offered if what you was offered was not fair to began with?

What was offered was not fair???? Now I'm sure you're a troll on a windup.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,832 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Indeed it doesn’t seem like much of an emergency need for accommodation if you can turn it down for being 35 ish miles away. I mean, it is actually a lot of miles, gas, and wear and tear if you have reasons to commute. One of my longer commutes was shorter than that, on American roadways and it still was a slog, but I also didn’t have 5 kids sleeping out of a car. A job offer 35 miles away here would still give me pause. The longest one we accepted was the fiancé at 55 miles away - fortunately she was on the job a mere 3 days when her offer finally came back from around the corner, for better pay. That was never going to work long term, even with interstate travel it was going to be 12 hours of driving a week and murder on the vehicle expenses and was accepted as a last resort.

Wouldn’t the kids be able to get into school nearby? Is she working? I’m not seeing the drag on *needing* to stay in the area she’s at, hence not seeing the argument she’d be forced into the drive every day or most days. If it’s just “ah their friends are all here etc” - that’s tough but it’s ‘emergency’ accommodation and hardly a good excuse?

Edit: oh derp me schools are closed to COVID, yeah definitely not seeing why you need to plant your feet in a driveway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

She i would say slept in the car to highlight the situation.
    The only way for you to understand emergency accommodation is to spend a night in it , then tell me you think its suitable for someone let alone a mother with kids. That's not having a go its something you should try before criticizing.
    I would without question say that them kids even i that car was in a much safer environment than any goverment child services could provide.

TUSLA need to get involved and remove the kids from her. She has stated that she cannot provide for the children. Adoption would be a godsend for the kids. A safe, stable home with people who could bring them up with morals and standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,832 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

TUSLA need to get involved and remove the kids from her. She has stated that she cannot provide for the children. Adoption would be a godsend for the kids. A safe, stable home with people who could bring them up with morals and standards.

Now let’s not fly off the handle 5 kids are never going to be kept orphaned or adopted together and this is hardly rise for all that. As if adoption is great craic and everyone comes out of it well adjusted or free of abuse. The mother is displaying questionable judgement but I’m not in agreement that she needs her kids stripped from her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Overheal wrote: »
    Now let’s not fly off the handle 5 kids are never going to be kept orphaned or adopted together and this is hardly rise for all that. As if adoption is great craic and everyone comes out of it well adjusted or free of abuse. The mother is displaying questionable judgement but I’m not in agreement that she needs her kids stripped from her.

The mother clearly cannot look after them. Remove them from her. It's better in the long run for the kids.

• Advertisement

working class <> uneducated.

Advertisement