Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Actor of the modern era?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Really? Why don't you like films?

Didn't say I don't like them, I just don't watch many. Someone mentioned Michael Kenneth Williams who was Omar in The Wire, he is in a Netflix film, the Red Sea diving resort, I watched that and enjoyed it. I do watch a bit of TV, but mainly documentaries, and not many films.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 75 ✭✭jazz_jazz

Anthony Hopkins
    Judi Dench
    Maggie Smith
    Edward Norton
    Gary Oldman
    Emma Thompson
    Tom Hardy

All excellent actors

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Eduard Khil

Maybe consider some of these points in thinking about your choice.

Box Office draw, ability to coexist with fellow cast members and the director, acting talent, can they be both a hero and villain. Do they fit the personality of a certain type of role. Are they good looking or god awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭I Am Nobody

Jeff Bridges,has some great film roles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Ed Norton was in some great movies but sort of disappeared after doing the hulk.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

From the 60's until now is very long period to choose from.

Jamie Foxx is very talented.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

Just on your point about an actor's versatility, tell that to the 'woke' brigade.

There is no way Day Lewis would be allowed play Christy Brown today.

They'd probably have a problem with Hoffman in Rain Man and De Niro in Awakenings too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

jazz_jazz wrote: »
    Anthony Hopkins
    Judi Dench
    Maggie Smith
    Edward Norton
    Gary Oldman
    Emma Thompson
    Tom Hardy

All excellent actors

She is just brilliant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

O.J. Simpson

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

Fr Ted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

There is no way Day Lewis would be allowed play Christy Brown today.

Who would play him instead?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭AMGer

Daniel Day Lewis, and by some distance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

Effects wrote: »

Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson.
    AMGer wrote: »
    Daniel Day Lewis, and by some distance

It's not a race.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Eduard Khil

They'd probably have a problem with Hoffman in Rain Man and De Niro in Awakenings too

Leonardo DiCaprio should have won an Oscar for Arnie Grape

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Ray McAnally

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Effects wrote: »

That Paddy guy who does the fashion thing

Jason Statham ,

byronbay2 wrote: »
    I’m surprised there are so many different actors being proposed as the best. For me, one actor is well ahead of the rest and that is Marlon Brando. He brought method acting into the mainstream and the intensity/passion he brought to his roles is unsurpassed.

His greatest roles for me were in On The Waterfront, A Streetcar Named Desire and The Godfather but The Wild One and Last Tango in Paris would be in any other actor’s Top 3. Even his cameo in Apocalypse Now (greatest movie ever made) is exquisite!

He was MILES ahead of his time in the causes he supported (the environment, black civil rights, justice for native Americans) and was willing to risk opprobrium to promote these issues. This is irrelevant to his acting ability, of course, but I thought it should be mentioned.

From that era I would put Paul Newman and Burt Lancaster ahead of Brando,

Seriously Walter Matthau was probably the best actor from the sixties until the eighties, Charley Varrick a masterpiece

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Seriously Walter Matthau was probably the best actor from the sixties until the eighties, Charley Varrick a masterpiece

I don't actually know who or what any of those things or people are

• Advertisement

I hate doing best or worst at things like this. Acting is too complex and nuanced to pick one.

But two people have mentioned Brendan Gleeson already and I have to say that whether he is playing a wizard or a cop or anything else - I become instantly emotionally invested in any character he plays. I am not sure what he has going on that does that to me - but what ever "it" is he has "it" in spades. It's not a Patrick Stewart kind of confidence or a Robert Downing Jr. charisma. There is something else going on with Gleeson that I can not put a finger on and it's powerful.

I love great actors that pop up in weird places though. Not the "best" actors or anything - just people who got a part and made it shine. My friends on a dare have me watching every episodes of the TVs shows in the "arrowverse" at the moment. And the actor Paul Blackthorne who plays "Quentin Lance" just shines. It does not matter how good or bad the other actors are - he just controls the screen when he is on it. And I love actors like that.

I guess the word I am looking for is "believable". Whenever you watch acting you have to help the actor by suspending your disbelief. But some actors you just _believe_ them from the get go and you do not have to work with them to make that happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

KaneToad wrote: »
    Ray McAnally

I enjoyed ‘A Very British Coup‘, also remember him from ‘A Perfect Spy’.

I hadn’t realised that he was Irish and father of Ray. D’oh!

I see he was in a few other files I have seen (The Fourth Protocol, The Looking Glass War) but don’t remember him in them.

I don't actually know who or what any of those things or people are

Look it up, he cameos as the drunk in Earthquake if that helps

I enjoyed ‘A Very British Coup‘, also remember him from ‘A Perfect Spy’.

I hadn’t realised that he was Irish and father of Ray. D’oh!

I see he was in a few other files I have seen (The Fourth Protocol, The Looking Glass War) but don’t remember him in them.

From Buncrana

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,473 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Jason Statham ,
    Top Tip
    Don't waste your time watching a Jason film where he doesn't drive fast and kick ass.

He's one of the last action hero actors who hasn't done comedy, because that rarely works out well.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,473 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Calculon: Lies! I change my identity and upgrade my appearance every few decades to avoid suspicion. I was all of history's great acting Robots: Acting Unit 0.8, Thespo-mat, David Duchovny!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭trashcan

Top Tip
    Don't waste your time watching a Jason film where he doesn't drive fast and kick ass..

:confused: There are no such films, are there ?

trashcan wrote: »
    :confused: There are no such films, are there ?
    too many :(

These are some of the better ones
    The Bank Job (2008)
    The Mechanic (2011)
    Killer Elite (2011)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Top Tip
    Don't waste your time watching a Jason film where he doesn't drive fast and kick ass.

He's one of the last action hero actors who hasn't done comedy, because that rarely works out well.

And don’t watch a pop video where he doesn’t gyrate suggestively whilst oiled up in leopard print briefs?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭daretodream

Brad Pitt

• Advertisement

Channing Tatum.

Bobblehats wrote: »
    And don’t watch a pop video where he doesn’t gyrate suggestively whilst oiled up in leopard print briefs?

Christopher Walken was great in Weapon Of Choice.

Like James Cagney he could dance or play the dangerous psychopath.

Like James Cagney he could dance or play the dangerous psychopath.

There was definitely psychotropes involved. Would he put his past up for ‘erasure’ I wonder. Yes I’ll dwell on that, as I drift off to sleep...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

too many :(

These are some of the better ones
    The Bank Job (2008)
    The Mechanic (2011)
    Killer Elite (2011)

True but he should change his direction into comedy, he is actually very good in Spy. But he is not one of the best actors in the modern era by a long shot, and I actually like watching his movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭sunshinew

Meryl Streep has been barely mentioned here considering she's been nominated for 21 Oscars.

Toni Collette has pulled out some great performances too.

Stephen Graham is a wonder... The virtues floored me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

sunshinew wrote: »
    Meryl Streep has been barely mentioned here considering she's been nominated for 21 Oscars.

Good pick there, Collette is top class

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,239 ✭✭✭Be right back

sunshinew wrote: »

He's very good in Little boy blue too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,669 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Arghus wrote: »
    I can understand that, to an extent, there aren't many films that he's appeared in that would qualify as easy entertainment. Personally, I think he's great in just about everything. If I was to recommend any of his films for pure entertainment I'd say Last of The Mochians or maybe even Lincoln.

I could never get tired of watching Last of the Mochicans.

Wes Studi was the star of that movie IMO.

Watched 12 years a slave the other night, Chiwetel Ejiofor was very good in it.

Was in hard luck that he lost out on the oscar to that normally useless sap McConaughey who actually deserved it as well that year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭I Am Nobody

I throw in Peter Sellers and Bill Bixby

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,608 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Julianne Moore, Frances McDormand.
    Sarah Lancashire is brilliant too.

Joaquin Phoenix, Michael Douglas, Sean Penn and Ed Norton.

Steve Mc Queen and Bob Hoskins

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

billyhead wrote: »
    The actor from the Green Book is good. Marshala Ali. Not sure if the spelling is correct

He is good but he isn’t even the best actor in that movie imo. Viggo Mortenson was great as Tony Lip and has been great in a number of roles.
    Eastern promises, A History of Violence, Captain Fantastic, The Road come to mind.

For you movie trivia buffs, the real life bouncer character Tony Lip that Viggo played in Green Book actually done a bit of acting himself. He was the old Mafia guy Carmine, who was the head of the New York/New Jersey gangs in The Sopranos and also small roles in goodfellas and Donnie brasco.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭ErnestBorgnine

Baffled by the votes for Leo, he's as lightweight as they come

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Sandz066

Mathew McConaghy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

The cat in the sheba cat food ads.

Maybe I missed it but I haven't seen John Hurt or Richard Harris mentioned yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

I could never get tired of watching Last of the Mochicans.

Wes Studi was the star of that movie IMO.

Great movie, music and scenery were class. The closing 20 mins are epic imo.
    Watched it a few times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Man with broke phone

Casey Afleck in Manchester by the sea was amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

Sam Rockwell

• Advertisement
Advertisement