Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How important is the junior cert in the predicted grades process

Options
  • 16-05-2020 8:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

I’m a way better LC student than a JC student. Are they using them to decide grades? Like if I got a C in science for example does that mean I’m getting a H4/H5??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭History Queen

naxmax9 wrote: »
    I’m a way better LC student than a JC student. Are they using them to decide grades? Like if I got a C in science for example does that mean I’m getting a H4/H5??

There is some talk of the JC results being used as an indicator of this cohorts standard but it wouldn't be a simple conversion of your JC grade to LC grade.

Clear guidelines and instructions for teachers still has not been issued so I can't answer in any more detail than that I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭naxmax9

There is some talk of the JC results being used as an indicator of this cohorts standard but it wouldn't be a simple conversion of your JC grade to LC grade.

Clear guidelines and instructions for teachers still has not been issued so I can't answer in any more detail than that I'm afraid.

When you say cohort does that mean it’ll be for the entire year group or just the individual?

When you say cohort does that mean it’ll be for the entire year group or just the individual?

Cohort in this context means the entire Leaving Certificate group countrywide. Basically (I'm simplifying here) they may look at yere JC results to measure whether or not proportionally ye are a stronger or weaker group than other cohorts that went before ye.

In short, if I were a LC student I wouldn't be at all worried about my JC result at this point. If that changes with the more detailed information we are due to get next week it will be widely reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭naxmax9

Cohort in this context means the entire Leaving Certificate group countrywide. Basically (I'm simplifying here) they may look at yere JC results to measure whether or not proportionally ye are a stronger or weaker group than other cohorts that went before ye.

In short, if I were a LC student I wouldn't be at all worried about my JC result at this point. If that changes with the more detailed information we are due to get next week it will be widely reported.

Thank you for the reply :)

Thank you for the reply :)

No problem. I can imagine this is a stressful time, especially when you aren't sure how your grades are being measured. Teachers will do their best to be fair to all, within the constraints of the guidelines we are given. In spite of what you might read or hear, we care about our students and want what is best for all of them (even the ones we have the odd run in with!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

My understanding is that it will be looked at on a full year group basis, to compare, in a general sense, with other year groups in the school. To identify whether this group is some sort of outlier, either significantly worse or better than usual for the school, as compared to the national results for that year. I wouldn't expect there to be any examination of individual student JC results or for small fluctuations to make any difference. Students improving significantly from JC is not uncommon as people mature and realise the greater significance of the LC. Significant disimprovemts are also not that rare, as some students switch off and find other interests that distract them from school. So I think individual judgements like that will be left to the teacher and subject alignment group within the school. And your teacher will know you're performing better now if that's the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 brian1999

when will dept of education and Joe MC Hugh announce and publish Clear guidelines and instructions for teachers for calculated grades process??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

brian1999 wrote: »
    when will dept of education and Joe MC Hugh announce and publish Clear guidelines and instructions for teachers for calculated grades process??

Teachers have been told Monday. Maybe.

Advertisement