Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unfunny Irish comedians <<MOD note in OP>>

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

yabadabado wrote: »
    Al Porter is absolutely terrible.

I am genuinely shocked anyone would g to see a gig of his never mind paying for it.

I think he's hilarious. Saw him twice in the laughter lounge and he was the only one who got a laugh either time.

Comedy is subjective. I can't abide the the likes of Rosenstock or the rubberbandits, but I love Al Porter or Dylan Moran. Whatever makes you laugh!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

Can I think of a single Irish comedian now who can lace their boots?. Nope, won't stop them getting a crap intelligence insulting comedy (Bridget and Eamon/Damo and Ivor etc) or guest spot on some awful panel show with scripted jokes and toilet humour.

Christ we gave the World Oscar Wilde for God's sake!.

Yer man from Damo and Ivor is the modern Oscar Wilde in fairness.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 102 ✭✭Kadser

MadDog76 wrote: »
    I've yet to laugh at a female, Irish or otherwise, stand-up comedian ..........
    Just think if there were gender quotas in Irish comedy and we had a dozen Deirdre O'Kanes!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Not Irish obviously but Joan Rivers was an excellent female comedian.

I loved the non PC, sharp witted New Yorker persona she developed for himself. People were aghast that a WOMAN, yes a WOMAN could say such things.

A Joan Rivers-type comedian would never get anywhere in PC Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

murpho999 wrote: »
    This thread is just going to lead to every known Irish comedian and how unfunny they are despite having successful careers as comedians.

Why can't people accept that different people have different tastes?

yep, comedy is subjective...we all have a different sense of humour

take Al Porter, some people on this thread don't like him...but i think he's brill and i have no doubt in my mind he'll be a huge TV personality on british TV ala Graham Norton

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Three words. Noel V Ginnity. Most of the people posting here are probably too young to remember him luckily. He was kidnapped and held to ransom by a Dublin criminal gang in the mid 90s. After he was freed he appeared on the Late Late with Gaybo where he subjected the nation to several of his stand up routines. If theres been an unfunnier so called "comedian" to emerge from Ireland then my names Donald Trump.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

Am a big fan of comedians, like the clever, witty and sarcastic stuff.. never going to get people who like everyone, you can't force yourself to like someone.
    I tried so much to like Lee Evans but I really couldn't.

Why???? :confused:

MadDog76 wrote: »
    Why???? :confused:
    Have you seen the movie The Fifth Element?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

If anyone thinks all female irish comedians are bad have a listen to Aisling Bea, she's great.

You must be f*cking joking!!??!!! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

Dave mc Savage I think he is very funny. The savage eye brilliant piece of comedy tv. Seen him on the late late show brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I remember flicking on to one of those Lee Evans specials years ago. The comedy routine was not to my taste but at the end of the show a piano was brought out on stage and he sang a lovely song with his Dad.

He was bloody brilliant, he should have focused his showbusiness ambitions towards music not comedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Liam28 wrote: »
    Al Porter anyone? Best I can say about him is that he is not as bad as Oliver Callan. And the original and worst unfunny comedian, Brendan O'Carroll. Say 'feck' enough times and some people will laugh. Still he has made his fortune in the UK.
    Agree about Tommy Tiernan and Des Bishop who have not been funny in 10 years. And Jason Byrne never was and never will be funny.
    There are some good Irish comedians. Dara OBriain is funny and witty. Mario Rosenstock is talented and funny some of the time. Eh, I'm sure there are more.
    Here's a classic sketch from the late, great Dave Allen.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upEBdKFGlPg

Rosenstock is the furthest thing from funny

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

darkdubh wrote: »
    Three words. Noel V Ginnity. Most of the people posting here are probably too young to remember him luckily. He was kidnapped and held to ransom by a Dublin criminal gang in the mid 90s. After he was freed he appeared on the Late Late with Gaybo where he subjected the nation to several of his stand up routines. If theres been an unfunnier so called "comedian" to emerge from Ireland then my names Donald Trump.
    Throw "Mr. Comedy Himself" Sil Fox in as part of that era.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭micar

Brendan grace.....purely awful

• Registered Users Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Can't stand slapstick comedy and impressionists.
    Therefore was never going to fall in love with Rubberbandits or Rosenstock.
    Not a fan of Republic of Telly either, didn't like Podge and Rodge back in the day.

Am a massive Dara fan, particularly when he's with Ed Byrne, although I'm not a huge fan of Ed on his own, they really do get the best out of each other.
    Tommy Tiernan's best days are sadly behind him, can tell even by his stand up shows.

Am a big fan of comedians, like the clever, witty and sarcastic stuff.. never going to get people who like everyone, you can't force yourself to like someone.
    I tried so much to like Lee Evans but I really couldn't.

Rubberbandits and Rosenstock are almost at opposite ends of the spectrum. It's an insult to the bandits to be mentioned in the same breath as Rosenstock.

Slapstick? Are you sure you were watching the right act?

lawred2 wrote: »
    I couln'd agree more just the same old sketches all the time. Tries to take off Miriam o Callahan, Michael D and Enda Kenny. How he makes a living out of trying to be funny is beyond belief. As for that other egit Oliver Callan he couln'd make a clown laugh.

lawred2 wrote: »
    I couln'd agree more just the same old sketches all the time. Tries to take off Miriam o Callahan, Michael D and Enda Kenny. How he makes a living out of trying to be funny is beyond belief. As for that other egit Oliver Callan he couln'd make a clown laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

mfceiling wrote: »
    No he isn't.

Dylan Moran is seriously funny. Kudos also to David O'Doherty.

Dylan Moran's Monster standup gig (dvd) circa 2004 is actuallyl genius..Up there with Richard Pryor and Bill Hicks for me....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5tiSbTlGVg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

Dara Ó Briain....About as funny as picking up aids...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭The Humble Sausage

Aisling bee. Deirdre okane. Jarlath Regan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

micar wrote: »
    Brendan grace.....purely awful

In fairness, I cant imagine his act has evolved that much since the eighties when he was a huge star. His target audience still love him, same with Brendan O'Carroll, even though I don't find either very funny.

I just cant get my head around how anyone could find Maeve Higgins or Jason Byrne funny in the first place. I know comedy is subjective, but its painful watching them.

I like Dara O'Briain and Dylan Moran. Dave McSavage might be a bit of a knob, but I did find parts of the Savage Eye entertaining

• Registered Users Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Kevin Gildea. The comedic equivalent of kidney stones.

I quite like some Irish comedians, just not as stand ups.

Tommy Tiernan is funny giving interviews, but is way too shouty doing stand up.

Surprisingly, Brendan O Carroll is funny in interviews too, but woefully unfunny when trying to be funny!!

Ed Byrne, Dara O Briain, Des Bishop, Andrew Maxwell are just painful.

Sharon Horgan and Ashling Bea are quite funny too, but I've never seen them do standup.

I think there's plenty of funny Irish comedians. They're just not very good at standup..

In fairness, I cant imagine his act has evolved that much since the eighties when he was a huge star. His target audience still love him, same with Brendan O'Carroll, even though I don't find either very funny.

I just cant get my head around how anyone could find Maeve Higgins or Jason Byrne funny in the first place. I know comedy is subjective, but its painful watching them.

I like Dara O'Briain and Dylan Moran. Dave McSavage might be a bit of a knob, but I did find parts of the Savage Eye entertaining
    Brendan Grace is for the older generation. My mum went to see him in our local arts centre €25 a pop and sold out. He was pissed doing the same old jokes and bottler. Did around sixty minutes and looked like he couln'd wait to get to the pub. Handy money.eh

Brendan Grace is for the older generation. My mum went to see him in our local arts centre €25 a pop and sold out. He was pissed doing the same old jokes and bottler. Did around sixty minutes and looked like he couln'd wait to get to the pub. Handy money.eh

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

There used to be a show on RTE a few years back that was a rip off of "Have I got News For You",it had the motherload of seriously bad "RTE type comedians" trying to be witty and failing miserably.

RTE has a lot to answer for forcing some of these people on us.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

MPFGLB wrote: »
    Dylan Moran's Monster standup gig (dvd) circa 2004 is actuallyl genius..Up there with Richard Pryor and Bill Hicks for me....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5tiSbTlGVg

Moran is a step above the others.

A lot of the comedians mentioned here are on the road 10 or 20 years, must be hard to keep it going, Tommy Tiernan a perfect example of that.

Ed Byrne would be the one I don't rate at all. Patrick Kielty was funny for about 2 years.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

tipptom wrote: »
    There used to be a show on RTE a few years back that was a rip off of "Have I got News For You",it had the motherload of seriously bad "RTE type comedians" trying to be witty and failing miserably.

The Panel? Sure Mairead Farrell was one of the contributors on it thats how bad it was. That idiot Maxwell was on it and Colin Murphy hosted it.

Dont feed the Gondolas with Moncrieff, Brendan o'connor and Dara o'bhrian was better IIRC

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

tipptom wrote: »

Colin Murphy has been making exactly the same faces and telling exactly the same jokes for years. Irish comedians never evolve, they are incredibly stale. Des Bishop still plays the ''Yank in Ireland'' shtick on a loop despite the fact that he has lived here most of his life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Never seen his stand up but the Savage eye is one of the funniest shows RTE have had imo,

Advertisement