Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

should convicts of serious crimes lose their vote?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭pgj2015

iamstop wrote: »
    Native English speakers who use 'loose' when 'lose' is correct should lose their citizenship. I'm not using any terms loosely. These people are losers. Their grasp on basic grammar and spelling is pretty loose. I'm about to lose all hope for them.

what if they have dyslexia?

Maybe grammar Nazis should lose their vote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,498 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Is the lose/loose typo a thing that might happen with dyslexia, or is it just from predictive words and which word is the default choice?

I think the second reason, even when swiping the above I ended up with 'work' instead of 'word' the first time...

Not your ornery onager

I meant to write lose when I made the thread but somehow wrote loose by mistake, I am well aware of the difference, but some people on here like to make a big deal of such issues.

A far fetched scenario here but just say you are on a ship, it crashes on a desert island, 40 people on the boat. 25 ex cons, (serious crimes) 15 law abiding citizens. there is a 1 man already living on the island.

one day the native man says he has come up with an idea on how to run the island. all the issues regarding running the island will be decided by voting. either all 41 people get 1 vote each or just the law abiding people get a vote, and he wants you to decide.

what is your choice?

He should of paid a little more attention in school.

Why? spelling lose as loose once on boards isn't going to ruin my life is it? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Sorted so we can drop that now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Central Services

Maybe convicts should be allowed to vote. But they can only vote for a politician with a conviction.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

pgj2015 wrote: »
    I meant to write lose when I made the thread but somehow wrote loose by mistake, I am well aware of the difference, but some people on here like to make a big deal of such issues.

A far fetched scenario here but just say you are on a ship, it crashes on a desert island, 40 people on the boat. 25 ex cons, (serious crimes) 15 law abiding citizens. there is a 1 man already living on the island.

one day the native man says he has come up with an idea on how to run the island. all the issues regarding running the island will be decided by voting. either all 41 people get 1 vote each or just the law abiding people get a vote, and he wants you to decide.

what is your choice?

I was actually just saying yesterday how this is such a frequent occurrence in native English speakers, then today I read your thread title. Timing I guess. :pac:

In answer to your OP question, I believe in second chances and rehabilitation. If the people who were convicted of the crimes paid their dues and did the time, they should be free to vote like everyone else. They are still people in society. While in jail? Perhaps no voting.

I also think (and there is strong evidence of this in the US and A) that banning convicted felons from voting can (and does) lead to an uptick in false convictions of specific demographics and/or minorities in order to suppress voting rights.

TD;DR - Yes, EX cons should be allowed to vote.

Im not sure if these people would vote much anyway but do you think people who have committed serious crimes like rape, murder, armed robbery etc loose their right to vote in elections, referendums?

I vote that they should lose their vote. who wants people like that deciding who runs the country or what changes are made to our constitution.

Also, you did it twice! Once in the title and once here. Okay, end of.

iamstop wrote: »
    Also, you did it twice! Once in the title and once here. Okay, end of.

How did you become a mod?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭CorkBlackbird

Dude, I’ve read some tripe on here but this takes the biscuit.

Did you not study study history in school?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,543 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

No the IRA fought the war of INDEPENDENCE against the British. They fought it to a standstill and then signed a truce which gave Ireland freedom . It's well documented.!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

Im not sure if these people would vote much anyway but do you think people who have committed serious crimes like rape, murder, armed robbery etc loose their right to vote in elections, referendums?

I vote that they should lose their vote. who wants people like that deciding who runs the country or what changes are made to our constitution.

Who wants people who start these kind of threads deciding who runs the country?

Is their sentence not enough for you? You want to start tacking on further punishments out of revenge?

So you want to strip them of their right to vote. What else, strip them of their right to enter a public park or beach? Ban them from all entertainment venues? Ban them from driving?

The word for that is apartheid.

Who wants people who start these kind of threads deciding who runs the country?

Is their sentence not enough for you? You want to start tacking on further punishments out of revenge?

So you want to strip them of their right to vote. What else, strip them of their right to enter a public park or beach? Ban them from all entertainment venues? Ban them from driving?

The word for that is apartheid.

its not that off the wall of an idea, I don't want criminals deciding who runs the country and what laws we live by, that is why we have prisons.

So who fought against the British in the War of Independence culminating in British withdrawal and the formation of the Irish Free State?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭Pronto63

They should have the right to “go” and vote. I presume they would need day release or permission from the prison governor.

I certainly wouldn’t give the any special treatment like a postal vote. I don’t get a postal vote why should they?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

Pronto63 wrote: »
    They should have the right to “go” and vote. I presume they would need day release or permission from the prison governor.

I certainly wouldn’t give the any special treatment like a postal vote. I don’t get a postal vote why should they?

Probably the obvious answer.. You're not locked up, they are.

Makes little sense to be allowing them to go to a polling station versus a postal vote option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

its not that off the wall of an idea, I don't want criminals deciding who runs the country and what laws we live by, that is why we have prisons.

The day we start deciding who can vote based on how they might vote is the day democracy dies

First of all it's not YOUR country. It's for everyone. Secondly convicted criminals can only vote for whomever is on the ballot. Is there some secretive, dodgy character available to them but not to you?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Yeah, people like Parnell, who's imprisonment raised the profile for Home Rule, or De Valera who's imprisonment garnered a lot of financial influence from the USA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

They do while in prison.

First of all it's not YOUR country. It's for everyone. Secondly convicted criminals can only vote for whomever is on the ballot. Is there some secretive, dodgy character available to them but not to you?

not really secretive but I suppose sinn fein are run by dodgy characters.

Pronto63 wrote: »

I believe they get Mass said once a week. A postal ballot once every 5 years is hardly a big ask.

Yeah, people like Parnell, who's imprisonment raised the profile for Home Rule, or De Valera who's imprisonment garnered a lot of financial influence from the USA.

yeah I think there is a difference now in them two and some scumbag who is part of a drug gang or the likes of the scum CAB raided in Longford today. come on make a proper comparison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,408 ✭✭✭corner of hells

yeah I think there is a difference now in them two and some scumbag who is part of a drug gang or the likes of the scum CAB raided in Longford today. come on make a proper comparison.

You can't exclude people from exercising their right to vote , regardless of what you or I think of them.
    If you do that , you create a two tier society.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

So we've identified a spectrum. Whats your point of no return?

not really secretive but I suppose sinn fein are run by dodgy characters.

So criminals would only vote for Sinn Fein? They're a legitimate party.

You don't like Sinn Fein so you want to disenfranchise those who MIGHT vote for them rather than fighting to ensure that another party were to defeat them...you know ...democracy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

You can't exclude people from exercising their right to vote , regardless of what you or I think of them.
    If you do that , you create a two tier society.

Maybe we could vote for a two tier society .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭robman60

No, they shouldn't.

Why would you want to further deprive of a stake in society those who you some day hope to reintegrate into it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,408 ✭✭✭corner of hells

nthclare wrote: »
    Maybe we could vote for a two tier society .

Excellent idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

They should lose their life

Advertisement