Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

29-12-2019, 21:30   #1

Newspapers.com v Irishnewspapers ?

Tossing over in my mind which sub would be best. Any advice appreciated?
Advertisement
29-12-2019, 21:37   #2
pinkypinky

I've never used the former, so can't help.

Best thing is to compare what they have for Ireland on both. I suspect British newspaper archives vs Irishnewsarchive both probably have more.
Thanks from:
30-12-2019, 11:49   #3
dom101

Second British newspaper archive as it has a lot of the Irish ones such as the Cork Examiner etc. But depends on where you live and which area your most interested in. I find it great for Cork and Dublin based papers, but the Irish archive has the likes of the Evening Echo which the British one doesn't. Also the search engines for both can return different results on the same papers.

If you decide to go with the British one then it would be better value to go for the Find my past sub that includes the british newspaper archive, that why you get more bang for your money. It's only €18.99 per month, which I think is good value.
(2) thanks from:
30-12-2019, 14:00   #4
pinkypinky

I find the BNA search on FMP very poor. Have looked up things on it and INA and not been able to find the same thing in the same newspaper.
30-12-2019, 14:29   #5

Sorry, should have said, I'd be searching for Irish deaths/births. Did the British Newspapers have these? I don't think its really done in the UK nowadays as much as it is here in Ireland.
Advertisement
30-12-2019, 14:51   #6
L1011

The BNA has some Irish papers that aren't available elsewhere and it isn't usually available in libraries when the INA (and one or both methods of getting the Irish Times) is. If I had to pick one only that'd probably be the decider
Thanks from:
30-12-2019, 18:08   #7
BowWow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybaby1 View Post
Tossing over in my mind which sub would be best. Any advice appreciated?
A question I have also wondered about recently...

Looking at the three choices -

1. Newspapers.com An Ancestry site. Very American focused. Did their free weekend some months ago and can't say I found the site of much use to me. However lately I seem to be getting a lot of newspaper.com hints on my Ancestry account, so maybe they are getting better.

2. Irishnewsarchive.com Seems expensive, and as it's available free through the local library don't think I would pay for it.

3. British Newspaper Archives Comes highly recommended, lots of Irish content and probably what I'll go for. Current 12 month deal looks like good value.

NB - I've looked at several Welsh Newspapers(English language versions), for free, in the Welsh National Archives. Well worth a look.
Thanks from:
30-12-2019, 20:47   #8

Thanks for that BowWow, I appreciate your wisdom!
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion