Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French Open 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Only 2 lads who have a chance of beating him (Zverev and Thiam) are in the one quarter on the opposite side of the draw. If one of them played him in the quarters you’d think maybe, but in a final you just know they’d bottle it on the big occasion and lose 6-1 6-3 6-2.

Nadal to romp home unfortunately.

Boring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Yeah looks like nothing to see here really, given his draw Nadal should canter this and probably won't even drop a set

Maybe two sub plots of note, can Zverev break his QF duct and can Novak make a manageable semi?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,547 ✭✭✭Floppybits

If Djokovic can find some form in the early rounds he could win this. Slams give players who are out form time to come into some form. We seen glimpses in Rome.

Floppybits wrote: »
    If Djokovic can find some form in the early rounds he could win this. Slams give players who are out form time to come into some form. We seen glimpses in Rome.

I don't think he is fit enough, and his serve doesn't currently look reliable enough to ensure he wont see a few early dragged out matches. He certainly isn't the player at this stage who can throw in a 4.5 hour 5 set fourth rounder and just plough on.

If he does get past the first week, not many will fancy meeting him though.

I still cant fully grasp that if Nadal wins this he moves to 17 slams, once upon a time when Federer had 17 it looked unsurpassable...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Ostapenko lost the first set to Kozlova. 3 all in the second. She's almost to 40 UFEs already. Ostapenko hits a great shot....then follows it up with a howler.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Defending champion Ostapenko is out. Beaten 7-5, 6-3 by Kozlova.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Osty is such a basket case, gone already.

lostcat wrote: »
    I still cant fully grasp that if Nadal wins this he moves to 17 slams, once upon a time when Federer had 17 it looked unsurpassable...
    Having nearly twice as many on clay as the other surfaces combined makes it looks very skewed though.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,331 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Presumably OP forgot to link the women's side of the draw, so here it is :pac:

Oh Alona :( I wasn't expecting her to defend her title or anything but I thought she'd make it past the first Sunday!

Alona and Venus gone from that section, great news for Azarenka if she's up to it. Path is pretty clear until the QF's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,019 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

https://twitter.com/simonrbriggs/status/1000789293642780673

Dire comments from Konta. This is elite sport and her form recently and long term on clay has been absolutely wretched. Letting it get her down so much is worrying for any of her fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,342 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

So many withdrawals in this tournament already. The Lucky loser is extremely well represented in the draw

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,331 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Rjd2 wrote: »

Ha. Konta is hopeless on clay. Been pretty bad all year, ranking will drop even further after Wimbledon.

Out goes Azarenka...

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

Out goes Azarenka...

Not too surprised, Azarenka was never that good on clay and Siniakova is a good player who's id expect to get through the first round against mot opponents.

ahayes84 wrote: »
    Not too surprised, Azarenka was never that good on clay and Siniakova is a good player who's id expect to get through the first round against mot opponents.

Well she's not bad on the surface either, a RG semi-finalist previously. She should easily be beating the likes of Siniakova, lack of match play is the problem.

Really cool story from yesterday, Krygios' withdrawal freed up a spot in the draw, and with most already far away from Paris the only one could make it back on the day was Marco Trungelliti... who was in Barcelona! Him, his brother, mother and grandmother made the nine hour drive back to Paris and arrived at ten minutes to midnight, to play Tomic at 11.30 in the morning.

https://twitter.com/FueBuena/status/1000857211873251330

It's a match he should be losing, but he's serving for it now!

We can't be far away from Tomic completely packing it in surely

From the outside it would seem he'd be better off too

jr86 wrote: »
    We can't be far away from Tomic completely packing it in surely

From the outside it would seem he'd be better off too

well, he still made 40k this week, around 39.25k more than I made..

the only one could make it back on the day was Marco Trungelliti... who was in Barcelona!

He's just got demolished in the 2nd round but a worthwhile trip alright!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

They may as well just give Nadal the trophy.

Great to see another closely contested Nadal match at RG. I eagerly await his progress through the draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Great to see another closely contested Nadal match at RG. I eagerly await his progress through the draw.

One of the tournament tips in the Racing Post last week was for Nadal to win the title conceding 70 games or less I think it was, at even money or thereabouts. Thats just an average of 10 games per round which seemed a bit ambitious to me, but he'll still be on track after this anyway.

Wawrinka out of the top 200.

Is that the end of him I wonder?

He'll get enough wildcards I guess but given his attitude in non-slams over the years he never really struck me as someone who would graft all year round. Lets see I guess

I'm still amazed he has 3 slams tbh

Dimitrov flopping at a slam again

giphy.gif

Sasha squeaks through in 5. He's a million miles from challenging Nadal in this form, the difference between the fast clay in Madrid and the RG treacle is stark.

Djoker in a dogfight against RBA, I don't think he'll have the stomach for the battle.

Sasha squeaks through in 5. He's a million miles from challenging Nadal in this form, the difference between the fast clay in Madrid and the RG treacle is stark.

Djoker in a dogfight against RBA, I don't think he'll have the stomach for the battle.

Dnazo blew it sadly.

Svitolina gone, another Slam she has underwhelmed in.

Thankfully I gave up gambling a while ago :D

Could be a turning point for Zverev in slams. Grinded out 2 wins now in tough 5 setters.

I don't see him going too much further here but it could certainly add the steel he needs going forward to win ugly which is crucial for winning slams

• Advertisement

Svitolina still useless at the slams then

Advertisement