Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Handwriting decipher thread *must post link to full page*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I think it's 42 / 6 / 5.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,314 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Thanks for all the replies.

I can make six children fit with what I have so far but not without caveats.

The issue is that I can only find a death record for one child - John.

I have birth and baptism records for his two bothers but don't know what became of either of them.

Of the three children from the first marriage I have a birth and baptism for the first, a baptism for the second, and only his name appearing in the 1901 census to account for the third.

It's all quite vague but it will have to do for now.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭chooseusername

deleted, not relevant

Post edited by chooseusername on

Thanks choseusername,

I should have mentioned the mother is Mary Toohill, her first husband is John Kevill, and second husband is Patrick Hunt.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Deleted, not relevant

• Advertisement

As mentioned above I have the birth and baptism details for the children from the second marriage to Hunt.

It's Patrick Kevill from the first marriage that is causing me confusion as the only mention of him is on the 1901 census.

Added to that I can't find a death or marriage record for any of them other than John.

Consequently, if there were six children born and five still living in 1911, the question is which is the child that died?

But I don't want to drag the handwriting thread down this rabbit hole.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Griffinx

I'm trying to figure out where John Kellett lived at the time of this marriage. Its looks like Rostrina but I can't find anywhere with that name.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

I think it might be a mistranscription - Perhaps Trostran? https://www.townlands.ie/monaghan/farney/magheross/ballymackney/trostran/

I wonder could it be Rosdreenagh in Donaghmoyne (spelt with two s's in 1911 census)?

I say this because I know that people pronounce Lisdreenagh in Longford as Listreena.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Griffinx

Well done, that's exactly it...they didn't travel far for spouses in those days :)

• Advertisement

Really? You think it's Trostran?

Rosdreenagh and Rostrina are so phonetically similar I'd bet my morning coffee that that's what it is. 😀

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

I didn't see Rosdreenagh - I should have searched for longer! I would not take on your bet Hermy!

Wise move Michael.

You wouldn’t like me when I’m decaffeinated! 🙂

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭dubred

Looking for help with a cause of death for Edward O'Connell, entry 394 (3rd from bottom) in

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1884/06337/4817412.pdf

it looks like tapes mesenterra/ic, but Google isn't telling me anything about it.

Thanks in advance.

Post edited by dubred on

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭ath262

The Mesentery is a membrane which attaches intestines to the stomach wall - mesenteric can relate to the inflammation of this

added probably : Tabes Mesenterica (BMJ, see bottom right)

"An obsolete term for tuberculous mesenteric lymphadenitis-relatedc achexia." from medical-dictionary.com

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭55Gem

A tapeworm I think, there is one that very seldom infects the mesentery But perhaps back then the term was a more general term for an intestinal tapeworm infection.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭dubred

Tapeworm was my first thought alright, but I think Tabes Mesenterica is a better fit, both for the writing and the environment.

Thanks folks.

I wonder can someone decipher the occupation and industry of Loretta V Farrell at line 22 of the linked 1940 US census.

Ancestry

Family Search

Genealogy Forum Mod

Think she is an Assistant Accountant, I guess the other is the name of the company she works for, General Adv something maybe

Thanks Gem.

Yes, I thought that too for the first part but I can’t do any better than you for the second.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭BowWow

I'd agree with Asst Acct (Assistant Accountant or Assistant Accounts).

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭hblock21

Would like suggestions an what the word is after "John O'Neill ......".

On the first line.

Thanks

http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarchives.ie/reels/tab//004625669/004625669_00415.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭hblock21

Here's another version of the same page

http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarchives.ie/reels/tab//004625669/004625669_00431.pdf

Again, on the first line "John O'Neill ......"

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭stopthevoting

+ Partners

(and Partners)

Post edited by stopthevoting on

Can someone confirm for me what I think the church is for the marriages on this page.

I'm nearly sure I know what it is but the handwriting is confusing.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1921/09234/5341739.pdf

Genealogy Forum Mod

Looking at the place names of the brides I’d say Rathfarnham but with that handwriting you’d be doubting yourself.

Yeah, I'm sure it's Rathfarnham but it's doing everything it can to convince me otherwise!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭BowWow

The Catholic Church in Rathfarnham.

Proper name is The Church of The Annunciation, Grange Road, Rathfarnham, Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭louis346789

Hi All

Looking for 2nd opinion for Father' first name for Mary Anne in marriage of Mary Anne Mullen dated 01 July 1886.

Unfortunately original parish record or scan not available.

Transcript on Roots Ireland is blank for fathers name.

Thank you.

Louis

Advertisement