Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kobo Mini eReader €34.99 in Argos (Half Price)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭dingding

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Dodcrx

woohoo

fathers day pressie sorted

thank you very much :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭g0g

Can someone tell me in a nushell how this compares to the Nook deal which works/worked out a bit more expensive. Is Kobo better, worse or pretty much same?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭padyjoe

Nook 6" screen, running android, Kobo Mini 5", running Kobo's proprietary software. Both uses the same e-ink technology.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

The Nook seems to be favoured by reviewers though, with the Kobo's small screen said to be very restrictive! Currys in the UK have the Nook back in stock, but you'll have to go through Parcel Motel and they may or may not allow Irish Credit Cards. The extra hassle to score a Nook may not be worth the added benefit it brings!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭123 LC

does a 5 inch screen feel really small?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭g0g

Hhhhhmmm the more research I do the more I prefer the sound of the Nook again. If anyone wants an Argos Ashbourne code valid today for a Kobo just PM me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

Was going to get one for the kids as there seems to be no movement on the Nook I ordered from Littlewoods, but the kobo mini seems to be just a little bit too small for my liking.
    kobo-mini-4.jpg
    Also, the Nook Simple touch come outs better in most comparisions than the standard kobo not to mind the mini one.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭shovel

Did not realize it was so small. Have a Argos Tralee reservation code valid for today .PM me

• Registered Users Posts: 39 staengus

I have one of these, although bought it for full price and I think its great. marginally smaller than your normal Bic pen. Can change the font sizes to suit yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Can you get the nook in Ireland though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,202 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I got this yesterday. It looks pretty nice to me

Just commenting on size as I haven't set it up yet:

I have a Sony e-reader PRS-T1 which is a fairly standard size reader (6") and the Kobo touch is not that much smaller, I think it is roughly the same width, its just a bit shorter.

The ebooks adjust to whatever size font you have (at least the PRS-T1 does), so you can make the font whatever you want and it will just mean you will need to change page more often.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭johnf26

thanks for this op just reserved one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

I'd imagine the nook is better, if you can get it. If not, €35 this should be well worth it. I've read several ebooks off my ipod and the reading experience was almost as good as a dedicated ereader, so I wouldn't be put off by the 5" screen, not at that money anyway.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

I have a reservation for one in Stephens Green Argos that's expiring today. I'm not going to use it, if anyone wants it fire me a PM.

Code gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

I picked up one of these for my girlfriend yesterday and I have to say it is easily worth the price. The build quality oobvioously isn't up to the same standard as the Kindle, and initially I did think the screen was a bit small, but I have to say it is a great little device. If someone is looking for a cheap/replacement/present e-reader it is perfect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Crap,none in stock anywhere in Dublin!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭ccull123

Would anyone please have a code for Dublin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

ccull123 wrote: »
    Would anyone please have a code for Dublin?

+1 if theres another code going spare!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭raddo

Long shot I know, but any chance someone has a code for one in Cork?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

raddo wrote: »
    Long shot I know, but any chance someone has a code for one in Cork?

I went to collect one this morning as a gift for someone but asked to see the size before I left the store and it was miniscule so I returned it so that may still be available to reserve in mahon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭raddo

Picked up one of these last week, very happy with it.
    Bit on the small size but does what it says on the tin.
    Bargain at the price!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Damn, can't believe I missed this :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,394 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Picked one up at the weekend, love the size of it. Would like if it had some hardware buttons for page turning but touch works fine, just the screen picks up finger prints and needs a clean.

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Any of these left anywhere?

Remember someone had an argos stock checker thing here before

There is a link to it in the second post :)

No luck though, its out of stock every where

i should have bought a second one, i got one for my dad and i was jelous of him after giving it to him :(

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭shannon82

Keep checking, I checked last night after seeing Tallons post and I got one in navan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Mine just arrived this moring :D

Got a mate to pick it up in Monaghan (since no one lives there) and post it down

It's awesome! Herself will love it :)

Seems to be available for ordering now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

I've one in order in cruises at limerick available today if anyone wants the code.

Send me a pm if interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 875 ✭✭✭laros

http://www.checkargos.com/StockCheckPage.php?productId=5011197

There's a few of these back in stock around the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

So lads, possibly the wrong place to ask but, this or the nook simple touch?

I'm heading away for a week and I've already got the game of thrones books in epub form to get me through it. This purchase would very possibly only be used for this week (and perhaps subsequent years holidays) as I usually just read on my phone at night - this will not suffice when reading in sun light. Over here, the kobo is £25 in asda, the nook is £29 in currys.

Would I be getting much extra for my 4 additional pounds?

theteal wrote: »
    So lads, possibly the wrong place to ask but, this or the nook simple touch?

I'm heading away for a week and I've already got the game of thrones books in epub form to get me through it. This purchase would very possibly only be used for this week (and perhaps subsequent years holidays) as I usually just read on my phone at night - this will not suffice when reading in sun light. Over here, the kobo is £25 in asda, the nook is £29 in currys.

Would I be getting much extra for my 4 additional pounds?

Nook is more hackable... can install some androids apps on it etc

Kobo is just about pocket-able

http://versusio.com/en/kobo-mini-vs-barnes-noble-nook-simple-touch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭m4rkiz

if you feel adventurous and have that many ebooks there is a good chance you can open it and resize data partition as two i have bought had 4GB card with 2GB unused and they working fine after resizing with Parted Magic

more info http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=193321

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

Thanks OP and Iaros - just picked up one in Naas.

• Advertisement

just got one for myself after i origgnally got one for dad

• Registered Users Posts: 32 TJ_M

I have it reserved in the Carlow store for collection today, anybody wants reservation, pm for code

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭gunnerfitzy

I reserved the last one in Mahon however after some further research I've decided it's not for me. If anyone wants the code PM me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

Sorted out my new kobo thanks op.

I'd be glad of any websites ye know for downloading books though thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

connect both to computer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I picked up 2 yesterday in Asda. I had a decent play around with them yesterday evening, a bit slow in places but I'm still very happy. The page refresh needs to be set to 2-3 pages, I'll stick with 2 I think. Loading books was just a simple case of dragging and dropping via windows, folder structure was a non issue. That's my week away sorted :D

Here's a pic beside a SGS3 for size reference
    4656b004-d7ff-4d64-835a-5b13ff0c6cbf.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 32 TJ_M

I ordered this Case from amazon.co.uk for approx € 9 delivered.

Free delivery when your order is over £ 25 pounds, Alternatively use parcelmotel.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/CaseGuru-eReader-Cover-Folio-Wallet/dp/B009W107K6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1372759750&sr=8-1&keywords=CaseGuru+Kobo+Mini+2012+eReader+5+%22+inch+Book+Case%2FCover%2FFolio+Wallet+%28Black%29

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

I picked up the Kobo branded sleep case for this in Harvey Norman's Limerick (they are doing the Kobo for €49 I think) . At €20 it was not far off the price of the reader but I plan to use it a lot so its money well spent. It puts it to sleep when you close and wakes up when you open:

http://www.whsmith.co.uk/Products/Kobo-Mini-Sleep-Cover-Case-Black+General-Electronics+36253067

Great little device!

Is sleep that important for an ereader though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Price is gone back up to €69.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

Is sleep that important for an ereader though?

Not really. I think you can turn any cover into a sleep covert with a magnet. It's handy from the point of view that the second you open the cover it resumes from sleep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

Does anybody know how to convert kindle content to kobo please?
    I have a lot of books on my kindle but I prefer to take my kobo ereader around as it is smaller.

any help appreciated thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭fdevine

Hi juneg

Off topic and digging up an old thread but what you need is a program called Calibre which will convert one format to another.

It would be frowned upon to advise how to remove DRM from Kindle books so I won't go into that and some DRM cannot be removed anyway.

If you google Calibre, Calibre add-ons etc. you'll find what you need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Dammit - I didn't notice the date on this thread till I was on the second page :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

juneg wrote: »
    Does anybody know how to convert kindle content to kobo please?
    I have a lot of books on my kindle but I prefer to take my kobo ereader around as it is smaller.

any help appreciated thanks

If you Google "convert azw to epub shelfless" the first result explains in layman's terms how to get kindle content to another device.

I buy ebooks from amazon all the time and use Calibre and the directions from that site to get them onto my Nook reader.

• Advertisement
Advertisement