Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St. Augustine's Church Phibsboro'

Options
  • 30-06-2012 10:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭

I have been searching online and can't find any mention of St. Augustine's Church of Ireland church which used to be in Phibsboro' and was demolished. There is now just empty space on the site. Am interested in seeing photos of it. If nothing online then I have to head into the RCB I suppose.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

haven't been able to find any photo.... but here's a summary from 'Clergy of Dublin & Glendalough'

St. Augustine, N.C.R. originally a Trustee chapel of the Female Penitentiary. The deed licensing the church was signed in 1840. The penitentiary was closed in 1910 and the congregation raised money to purchase the church for public worship, and reopened in April 1911 as part of St. George's parish. The church was closed in 1965, and subsequently demolished.

Since it was associated with the Penitentiary, and adjacent to Mountjoy maybe it could appear in photo of one of these ?

Shane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I didn't realise it was connected to the Female Prison or St. George's. I'll follow those leads up. Thanks for that information Shane, well done for finding it.

Advertisement