Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I feel a little guilty here.

Options
  • 01-10-2010 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭

You folks have done wonders to help me with my family research so I am feeling a little guilty in asking for more help.

My grandfather I have discovered was one of three children. He had an older sister who moved to Liverpool and we have managed to trace her.

But he also had a twin sister.

It seems his twin sister and his mother died at the same time or close to the same time, which I think was about 1910.

Would anyone know why this occured? Or perhaps have a suitable guess at why this occured? Was there a disease outbreak? A disaster of some kind?

Not sure if it helps but the names were Susan Robinette and Susannah Robinette. Susan being the mother (and widow of Matthew William Robinette, my great grandfather.)

If it is of any informataive help to other geneology Susan Robinette's maiden surname was Hutchinson.

I am not holding out much hope here, but if anyone has any info at all it would be very appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

I only see one death of a Susan Robinette on the Irish BMD Index, and that's in 1901 in Dublin City

Name: Susan Robinett
    Registration District: Dublin South
    Event Type: Death
    Quarter and Year: Jul - Sep 1901
    Volume Number: 2 / Page Number: 474

Shane

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

What makes you think 1910?
    I presume you haven't got death certs if you don't know how they died.
    If Shane's index reference is correct, 43 wouldn't be a massively young age to die then. Childbirth could have been a factor. I suggest ordering that cert anyway.
    As for the sister, it's hard to speculate. What age would she have been approximately? Childhood diseases were common then: one of my great-aunts died very young of diphtheria. People died of the flu a lot too. Poor sanitation and nutrition meant that people died of things that are almost eradicated in Ireland today. Have you tried all the cemeteries for a grave? Mount Jerome and Glasnevin you can search online; Deansgrange will take details by phone and email you results (but have patience with them).

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Oh dear my mistake I meant to type 1901 not 1910, teach me a lesson there. Sorry about that Pinkypinky.

Yes Shane thats my great grandmother you found.

In 1901 Susannah would have been either 15 or 16 depending on date of death.

I would like to search online as I am not in Ireland at the moment, but as I am only just over the water in North Wales I could make the trip easily enough when I get the time off work.

Deansgrange sounds to be promising. I expect I will have to pop over. What a shame:D (ha ha ha)

I can't wait.

Thanks once again for the help folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭johnny_doyle

LDS has the death of Susan in 1901 as mentioned already.

Then has Susan Robbinet in Jul-Sep 1900 aged 15 in Dublin South. Estimated dob = 1885.
    possibly Susanna Robinett whose birth is listed as Oct-Dec 1884 in Dublin South.

Amelia
    http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details/c8aa310499662

Susanna
    http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details/c78e4a0449548

William
    http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details/b80e1e0449549

Matthew and Susan
    http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details/a026ae0928850

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

I can only say WOW.

I have not seen those before Johnny Doyle.

William is my grandfather!!!!!
    Susannah is his twin sister.
    Amelia is his elder sister who married Frank Sullivan in Liverpool England.
    Mathew and Susan are my great grandparents.

I can't say thank you enough for that bit of research:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement