Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FREE - Amazon Gives You 5 GB of Online Storage Space

• 29-03-2011 8:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭

Note - I have a account on www.amazon.co.uk but I can login to www.amazon.com/clouddrive using the same credentials and it works showing me 5 gb of free space.

More..... found it on a site.

Amazon today unveiled a new storage service called Amazon Cloud Drive that gives you 5 GB of free online storage space to store your documents, photos, music and other files securely in the cloud. All you need is a free Amazon.com account to upload your files which you can then access from anywhere using a web browser.

Amazon Cloud Drive is purely an online file storage solution and the only client that you can use to upload or download files from your Cloud Drive account is your web browser.

Thus, for example, if you plan to copy your entire My Documents folder from the computer to Amazon’s cloud, you’ll have to upload files manually from the browser, one by one. Or, to save time, you could zip the entire folder into a single file and upload it in one go as Cloud Drive supports files as large as 2 GB in size. (Dropbox has a file size limit of 300 MB).

Amazon offers a handy desktop client that will scan your hard drive for music related files and will automatically put them to Cloud Drive - you then listen to your music from anywhere using the browser itself without having to download anything to that computer. Other than that, I think the Cloud Drive service is also good for manually backing up some of your really bulky files online - like those Outlook PSTs.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

Cheers for this, worked for me also...Might be useful for something...:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,035 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Have my Mac syncing my important stuff via Dropbox, but this isn't a bad alternative.

Ta coldfire!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Cheers,
    However the music player thingy does not work for me, Says it's US only.

Just hope they dont go looking through your stuff and make shopping "Recommendations" based on them !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

there has to be some sort of payback:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

I wonder would this work with MP3 vouchers that amazon sometimes hand out ?
    I remember getting vouchers for MP3 ,but couldn't use them because of my address.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Bit disapppointing that you can't upgrade storage in Ireland. I'm currently looking for some cloud backup for home files like photos etc and 5Gb isn't enough and their prices look good.

But free 5gb - can't argue against that :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭iPhone.

Nice one OP.

Thanks for the heads up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 465 ✭✭nulabert

upload files manually from the browser, one by one

Thanks OP, have a Dropbox to, but this is handy. I can't see Amazon going bust whereas Dropbox, well, they could shut down overnight!

You can multiple select files for uploading so its not so bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭podge3

Doesn't Microsoft give 25Gb with their "Skydrive" thingie?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,730 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

nulabert wrote: »
    Thanks OP, have a Dropbox to, but this is handy. I can't see Amazon going bust whereas Dropbox, well, they could shut down overnight!

Good thinking! Signed up too. Worked fine in IE9, but not in Opera 11 though :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

Excellent, works flawlessly.
    Thanks coldfire :)

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭kristok 2

any advantages of having dropbox over amazon or microsoft options ? seems like dropbox is lacking compared to the two options mentioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭Masala

Is it working for Irish residents / IP addresses.

I have an Amazon account BUT the process stalls on the Acceptance of Terms tick box in the uploading file process. It greys out the #continue' box and so I can go no further.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

kristok 2 wrote: »
    any advantages of having dropbox over amazon or microsoft options ? seems like dropbox is lacking compared to the two options mentioned.
    Dropbox makes it easy and automatically syncs whatever you put in a specific folder, with this you'll have to open your browser, navigate to amazon and log in, THEN select the files to upload... A lot less convenient really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

@Masala Working fine for me, just uploaded couple of files. No problem whatsoever. Tried in Firefox and IE9, not sure about other browsers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

...I can't see Amazon going bust whereas Dropbox, well, they could shut down overnight! ...

Dropbox isn't going anywhere: http://cnnmoney.mobi/primary/_gdd8PN-iE1mPm2Bpp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

kristok 2 wrote: »

http://lifehacker.com/#!5786884/cloud-storage-faceoff-windows-live-skydrive-vs-dropbox-vs-amazon-cloud-drive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

How about Google Storage?

20 GB ($5.00 USD per year)

80 GB ($20.00 USD per year)

200 GB ($50.00 USD per year)

400 GB ($100.00 USD per year)

1 TB ($256.00 USD per year)

Great prices and its very straight forward
    I purchased 20GB and use it for my Picasa photos - Google Docs and much more
    With Google Music on the way I cant wait till I can have all my music in the cloud and play it on my Android on the go

There is a sync too also which I have yet to try but I will try it at home tonight and it looks great - I plan to use it to back up all my important stuff
    http://www.google.com/enterprise/marketplace/viewListing?productListingId=7546+16949744728391811088

See a short video here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpeOHnkSCRE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

tman wrote: »
    Dropbox makes it easy and automatically syncs whatever you put in a specific folder, with this you'll have to open your browser, navigate to amazon and log in, THEN select the files to upload... A lot less convenient really

Yeah I'll be sticking with dropbox until Amazon (or someone) releases a desktop client for Linux, at the moment dropbox have the edge with easy of use

Anyone want to sign up for Dropbox use this link http://db.tt/kIhiWBz and I get an extra 250MB per referral :P:D

• Site Banned Posts: 328 ✭✭michelledoh

Good spot, but think Dropbox if probably better.
    On that note, anyone wanna join via me?!! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

Just tried it out - not sure what use I will make of it TBH - it's not big enough for my music.

Re OP comment about needing to upload each file individually - not so - I selected "all" in my folder and it lined up all the files and attempted to upload them - all into the "documents" folder.

It uploaded .txt, .jpg, .rtf, and .pdf no problem (well 1 large pdf file did fail, but went after hitting the "retry" button).

None of the Mac "pages" format files uploaded - even on retry - obviously Amazon's uploading software has a look at the files and decides what is and isn't allowed (or is making a point with Apple!?). Can't find any description of what is and is not allowed on the Amazon Cloud help pages.

It did NOT upload any of the subfolders though.

It did not like some characters in file names (which were allowed by the Mac) but went OK once I renamed them.

Right now it's no great use as a backup option - maybe that's deliberate? Will be interesting to see how it develops - Amazon have a way of weaseling their way into your life - they make it very easy to buy and find stuff, and the Kindle experience has been extraordinarily trouble-free.

Used Google Docs and SyncDocs for the first time last night and its great

https://www.google.com/enterprise/marketplace/viewListing?productListingId=7546+16949744728391811088&pli=1

Gives you an extra G Drive on your PC
    Syncs to Google Docs
    It uploads all file types
    Keeps things in instant sync
    Runs away in the background
    Creates all folders and sub folders
    Will do everything both ways (create something on the PC it’s in Google Docs in a matter of seconds – create in Google Docs and it appears in your G drive instantly)
    Even will do Track Changes in MS Word and looks great for collaboration
    Backup all your office documents, online documents, pictures and files

With the added bonus of storage being really well priced (about 25 cent per GB) I can’t see any downside at the moment. If Google bring out a cloud type music player then I will be putting all my music up there too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

I think they're upgrading the account to 20GB if you buy an MP3 albumn from them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Just in case any Apple types are feeling left out www.mspot.com is also offering a free 5 GBs if you sign up at the moment.

It's a storage site that allows music streaming on ios(apple i phone,ipod,ipad etc) as well as Android. It works well on wifi and 3g in my experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

You can multiple select files for uploading so its not so bad.

Dropbox storage is actually on Amazons servers iirc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Dropbox storage is actually on Amazons servers iirc.

Just because they use Amazon's servers doesn't make Dropbox any less likely to just disappear into the night...

I guess at this stage they seem here to stay, but I'd still be a bit doubtful about pouring ****loads of money into a dropbox account and expecting them to be around forever.
    Amazon on the other hand clearly aren't going anywhere!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

yeah but even if they did your data wouldn't disappear. amazon would most likely just take over the service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,562 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

is the 50mb upload size bit real? that is terribly small
    Amazons allows 2gb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Raoul

Wicknight wrote: »
    Yeah I'll be sticking with dropbox until Amazon (or someone) releases a desktop client for Linux, at the moment dropbox have the edge with easy of use

Anyone want to sign up for Dropbox use this link http://db.tt/kIhiWBz and I get an extra 250MB per referral :P:D
    Absolutely shameless :( ha.

• Advertisement

Skerries wrote: »
    is the 50mb upload size bit real? that is terribly small
    Amazons allows 2gb

Which service are you seeing 50MB limits on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

Macros42 wrote: »
    I'm currently looking for some cloud backup for home files like photos etc and 5Gb isn't enough and their prices look good.

http://www.adrive.com/ - 50GB Free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

tui0hcg wrote: »
    Which service are you seeing 50MB limits on?
    Windows Live SkyDrive has 25GB total space, but an individual file cannot be larger than 50MB

Advertisement