Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aldi-LIDL Specials - Megathread!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,181 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i bought a front and rear lozenge style light from them a couple of years ago. the rear stopped holding a charge about a year after i bought it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,107 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

last set of Aldi lights I bought, the front light while super bright, runs down very quickly, and loses charge even when turned off. They're hit and miss in terms of quality but they're cheap enough to take a chance on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Why don't people buy AAA or AA lights and fit them with Eneloop rechargeable batteries (or IKEA rechargeables which are apparently the same thing)? The Eneloops will last for years and are easily replaced and recycled and give massive power and battery life (Tesla pack them into bricks in their cars). The light will last pretty much forever that way instead of just going to landfill after a year or 2 like what happens with these rechargeable lithium lights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭JMcL

Thargor wrote: »
    Why don't people buy AAA or AA lights and fit them with Eneloop rechargeable batteries (or IKEA rechargeables which are apparently the same thing)? The Eneloops will last for years and are easily replaced and recycled and give massive power and battery life (Tesla pack them into bricks in their cars). The light will last pretty much forever that way instead of just going to landfill after a year or 2 like what happens with these rechargeable lithium lights.

Not the worst advice in the world. I've dug out my front light - a decent Lezyne I bought at the start of last year - in the last week or two. I hadn't used it since the start of lockdown at the end of March and after about 5 months in storage (fully charged before going on the shelf) now won't charge properly. It's improved a bit with a few charge/discharge cycles but still won't get to a complete charge. Battery not serviceable of course :confused:

What's the thoughts on the merino base layers? How do they stand up against pricier brands? Searching back over the thread there seems to be split opinion on them with some claiming that they're itchy (I suspect a wash would help there).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,181 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i have BBB branded lights in which i use rechargeable AAAs from aldi; i took one out last week, which had been sitting unused since january and the batteries still had a decent charge in them, which i was a little (pleasantly) surprised by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭MrSkinny

JMcL wrote: »
    What's the thoughts on the merino base layers? How do they stand up against pricier brands? Searching back over the thread there seems to be split opinion on them with some claiming that they're itchy (I suspect a wash would help there).

It may be a personal thing. I don't find them itchy at all but my OH does.

IMO they are excellent: 100% merino at a very good price, nice and warm, keep their shape after a wash and don't stink like some synthetic materials do even after the merest hint of sweat.

JMcL wrote: »

Definitely, I find a wash is a must before wearing. The last base layers I got in Aldi (not merino) I made the mistake of wearing out of the box and they felt horrible on me during the spin. Were grand after a wash.

One of the marnio tops I have is aldi and thats about 2 years old and is still good , though I'd have only worn it once a week for 3-4 months of the year at most.

I find them to both to be decent length too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Was looking at this one myself.

Would it be any use for Zwift?

Just on the turbo trainer, it is branded Bikemate and theres a video review of it here from some American former Olympic cyclist last year who rates it for the price, which was only $28 in Aldi in the US.

https://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear/a26988598/aldi-trainer-review/

Its just under 50 euro here but from that review it sounds good for the price. In the video it is not as noisy as I thought it would be despite being magnetic rather than fluid filled. Reckon I might give it a punt, anyone know do they tend to get snapped up fast or was that just a few years ago when they were new?

• Advertisement

Muahahaha wrote: »
    anyone know do they tend to get snapped up fast or was that just a few years ago when they were new?

Hard to say. There was mayhem in the local Aldi when the wetsuits went on sale about a month back - long queues from about 8:30. There wasn't a huge amount of bike gear locally in the last round, but not sure whether this was due to it lying off the shelves, or them just not getting much in

Cheers yeah its hard to know. Id hope most people who wanted turbo trainers already have one but with Aldi/Lidl you never know, plus sometimes they only get a 3 or 4 of the bigger items. Heading out on Saturday night so I'll be in no mood for 9am down Aldi on Sunday morning, will give it a try in the early afternoon and hopefully that works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Just on the turbo trainer, it is branded Bikemate and theres a video review of it here from some American former Olympic cyclist last year who rates it for the price, which was only $28 in Aldi in the US.

https://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear/a26988598/aldi-trainer-review/

Its just under 50 euro here but from that review it sounds good for the price. In the video it is not as noisy as I thought it would be despite being magnetic rather than fluid filled. Reckon I might give it a punt, anyone know do they tend to get snapped up fast or was that just a few years ago when they were new?

Thanks for that. I’m going to see can I pick one up for the winter months. Seems like a decent bit of kit when paired with a speed sensor.

You can get a Garmin speed sensor for less than €50 on Amazon so all in all under €100 to get a set up for Zwift sounds good to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭redlead

Do people that use turbo's here use a fan too ? I don't have a garage so need to use it in my house but always got so hot inside I just didn't enjoy it. I haven't used it in years as a result but wouldn't mind giving it another go this winter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Two fans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

redlead wrote: »
    Do people that use turbo's here use a fan too ? I don't have a garage so need to use it in my house but always got so hot inside I just didn't enjoy it. I haven't used it in years as a result but wouldn't mind giving it another go this winter.

I’ll be setting up in my kitchen which can be very cool if the door is left open

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,153 ✭✭✭dinneenp

I'm going to buy the Turbo Trainer & try to upgrade it so I can use it with Zwift/Peleton app. I'm going to phone my 2 closest stores & ask if they know how many units they'll be getting in.
    These steps are from an American site but should be quiet simple to source the required items here. If anyone has done so, please let me know how much it cost & how you find it.

I'd also probably buy a new back wheel, I've heard they get worn quick enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

dinneenp wrote: »
    I'd also probably buy a new back wheel, I've heard they get worn quick enough.

A Turbo Tyre is probably sufficient.

TacxTrainerTyre-620x413.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 440 ✭✭towger

CramCycle wrote: »
    Aldi, gave one to a new co worker must be 3 years ago(after I had used it for awhile) and still in use, the other is now on my partners bike and even after being ignored for a year, charged up and worked perfectly the other day. I'd highly recommend them.

I got the Aldi ones too and they are great ..... except the stap on the front one broke, cannot seem to source a replacement strap.

Are either of the sets of gloves in the upcoming Aldi special waterproof do you think?

https://leaflets.aldi.ie/view/628538/27/

Inquitus wrote: »
    A Turbo Tyre is probably sufficient.

TacxTrainerTyre-620x413.jpg

Cheers, never heard of these before. I presume that the tyre replaces your road tyre so I'd still need another back wheel- correct?

If you're using your main bike for this I presume it's extremely quick to set up. I
    How would a road bike with turbo trainer compare to an indoor exercise bike, like this JLL IC200 PRO Indoor Cycling Exercise Bike

Cheers,
    Pa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Cheers, never heard of these before. I presume that the tyre replaces your road tyre so I'd still need another back wheel- correct?

Well you can either change the tyre when using Turbo or going out on the road, or get a cheap rear wheel. Whatever is less hassle for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

If you dont want to have to swap tyre every time you ride then yeah. New Wheel+tyre + cassette or used even.

Bikes would be more modular than gym bikes and also fit like a real bike so gets you used to sitting in your on bike positon. Personally id rather spend the 200 on a new tyre cassette wheel etc than on a fitness bike

redlead wrote: »

Plonked mine outside during lockdown. It's a dumb one similar to the Aldi, so easy enough to lug in and out. We were blessed with good weather for that period though

Are either of the sets of gloves in the upcoming Aldi special waterproof do you think?

https://leaflets.aldi.ie/view/628538/27/

Hi,

It mentions 'Wind resistant', if there were water resistant I'm presuming it'd mention it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

You can spray it with some dwr treatment to make it somewhat waterproof

But it's neoprene, is that not waterproof?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 557 ✭✭✭MangleBadger

Neoprene is definitely not waterproof. But it will hold water which will warmup and keep you warm that way. Same as a wetsuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭byrnem31

Amazon will have waterproof cycling gloves for similar prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭secman

I find with some waterproof gloves they keep the sweat in so my hands are soaking anyway :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

i assume turbo trainers work with a hybrid ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭SCOL

Is the tool kit any good ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭cletus

SCOL wrote: »

If you have none of the tools, it's probably not a bad starting point

secman wrote: »
    I find with some waterproof gloves they keep the sweat in so my hands are soaking anyway :(
    this. if you wear them (the neoprene gloves) for more than half an hour or an hour, and are exerting yourself reasonably, you will find your hands getting sweaty.

that said, i do like them, they are nice and snug and give a good sense of control.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭8valve

i assume turbo trainers work with a hybrid ??

Yes, rear axle spacing on some hybrids is 135mm, same as mountain bikes with quick release axles (modern road bikes/racers are 130mm) but any decent turbo trainer will have an adjustable clamp that can accommodate both sizes.

hope that helps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭8valve

SCOL wrote: »

Absolutely fine if you're just doing a bit of home maintenance.

I did like this comment about the 2015 toolkit
    Considering the whole thing cost the same as my Park Tools bottom bracket spanner, its great. Its handy for those things you rarely need – like a Park Tools bottom bracket spanner.

Its rude not too at that price really

decathlon do a slightly better specced one with what may or may not be better quality tools too; though it's double the price i think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 79 ✭✭Bluejohn1

Anyone dealt with the trainer with a thru axle adapter?

I'm going to buy the Turbo Trainer & try to upgrade it so I can use it with Zwift/Peleton app. I'm going to phone my 2 closest stores & ask if they know how many units they'll be getting in. .

Did you get an answer from them on how much stock of the turbo trainer they are going to have?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Turbo trainers sold out in Finglas and Royal Canal Park (Rathbourne). Said they had about 20 in but sold out by 9.30.

Update - Just got the last one in Parnell Street :)

There is a turbo trainer left buried under the pannier bags in tallaght crosss about 30 mins ago.

I went mad and spent over €100. Very impressed with the gear this year.

I took a large cycling aldi jacket before but this year it's a medium I need. Very good jacket for 20 quid. Got lights, rain trousers, winter cycling jersey which is also very decent, and cleaning brushes that appear dead handy.

I got the bag that turns into a pannier rack and it's the best buy of the lot. Normal bag that zips in the middle and splits into two with 2 clips each side that clip onto your rack. I loaded it up with my gear, clipped it onto my rack and cycled home. €15 you can't go wrong and it didn't budge on the bike. There are extra straps to hold it on but it held well.

I cycled my steel bike down as I couldn't leave a new defy down there. Loads of scrotes around down there so be careful if cycling. My legs are in a jock from cycling a 30 year old steel bike though.

Got some water proof pants and lights for herself. 2 of the sections were completely empty so I assume that was were they had the turbos.(Drogheda retail park)

And the neoprene gloves are very good also. 11 quid. Nice tight fit and warm. I got a green pair to go with my Viz jacket to be seen. Yet I still probably get ploughed down by Jacinta putting on her makeup to look rapid in work.

Did you get an answer from them on how much stock of the turbo trainer they are going to have?

Phoned Aldi & was told they don't know figures for each store.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭.red.

Anybody find the sizes a bit on the large size? I've a bib and brace and a few short sleeved jerseys, all xl.
    Picked up an xl bib tights and an xl jersey and theyre both fairly loose.
    I also got the yellow jacket which I'm kind of regretting as while it seems decent, it's too large to fold up and go into a jersey pocket.

• Advertisement

Phoned Aldi & was told they don't know figures for each store.....

cheers, my local was sold out about an hour ago so have a friend checking stock in another town, hopefully might get one there.

No turbos to be seen in Tramore, nor does it look like they had any as there wasn't an empty reach. Only got in after lunch as was out on the bike in the AM, but all the merino base layers were already gone. Picked up a set of three lights as backup, some socks, and bike cleaner as I made the mistake of looking closely at how manky the bike was yesterday!

What they did have however was one folding bike. Picked it up to see how heavy it was, and it's about as heavy as you'd expect a 300 quid odd folding bike to be and then some. Still, it's the kind of thing that you'd imagine would be useful on a camping trip somewhere flat to spin down to the shops for breakfast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 79 ✭✭Bluejohn1

I picked one up and got it working with my cube nuroad race 2019 with a thru axle.

I watched some Auzzie guys video on YouTube and he said to use a one M6 100mm bolt and one M6 75mm bolt and two M10 nuts. Along with some tap washers 5mm tubing.

Picked up the parts for like 7 euro. After picking them up in bnq I only realised the side of the thru axle for the Alan key wont take the M6 bolt and probs needs a M4/5. I lucky had a one in the shed. With the tap washers on it was just a little two long and I couldn't close down the clamp on the trainer. But with just the bolts, nuts and tubing everything is grand, feels pretty secure.

The resistant settings aren't great but sure I'm only using it for a replacement for my commute which I haven't done since march now. Won't be going full ham on the thing. Pretty loud also.

.red. wrote: »
    Anybody find the sizes a bit on the large size? I've a bib and brace and a few short sleeved jerseys, all xl.
    Picked up an xl bib tights and an xl jersey and theyre both fairly loose.
    I also got the yellow jacket which I'm kind of regretting as while it seems decent, it's too large to fold up and go into a jersey pocket.

Yeah I opened some of the gear and put it against me and all of it was on the big side. The jacket that I bought was a size medium but it's really a large.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭.red.

The bib tights are comfy on, but really loose around the crotch and stomach.
    I went for a quick spin in them earlier and they were awful, the pad felt like sandpaper and I ended up taking a shortcut home.
    Maybe they will soften after a wash or maybe I just expected too much from something that cost less than €15.
    The long sleeved jersey felt slightly too big but I figure by time I put a base layer on they might be good. They were very warm tho, probably too early for them yet unless it's a morning spin.

• Advertisement
Advertisement