Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DLTC Winter League Tennis

Options
  • 28-11-2012 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭

Anyone playing DLTC Winter League in January?
    (its an inter club tennis league for clubs in Dublin, Meath, Wicklow and Kildare)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 twistable

I would like to play winter league but I’m in a club where it’s difficult to get picked. Teams are picked by the club captain, there is no ladder for challenging members of the teams. I have asked to be considered for a chance to play in league matches, but have yet to receive an opportunity.

I am considering changing club because of this. Can anyone recommend a club in south Dublin that has a more transparent and open system for team selection?

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭redzerredzer

There are arguments in every club about team selection. Its impossible to keep everyone happy.
    However if you are better than some of the people on the team then you should be in.
    Why dont you tell captain how you feel and offer to play some challange matches to prove you are good enough to be selected, or, ask him to run some team training sessions where he could see you up against the men on the team.
    Private message me your club if you dont want to mention it on this thread. I might know something about other clubs in your area.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,556 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Yep I will be playing in this competition, I think I played in all DLTC competitions last year. Cant wait to get started. :)

There are arguments in every club about team selection. Its impossible to keep everyone happy.
    However if you are better than some of the people on the team then you should be in.
    Why dont you tell captain how you feel and offer to play some challange matches to prove you are good enough to be selected, or, ask him to run some team training sessions where he could see you up against the men on the team.
    Private message me your club if you dont want to mention it on this thread. I might know something about other clubs in your area.

I agree with you up to a point on if you are better player you should be in the team but that depends on the type of competition being played. The winter league is a doubles competition and some players who may be good singles players but are not good at doubles and some players are better doubles players than singles players and therefore rightly those players should be considered first.

On the posters post about not being picked and there being no ladder in the club, I would be asking why is there no ladder to allow players to challenge. This would be a red flag for me if I was joining a club unless the club is just starting up and then there is probably a reason for it but any club worth its salt will have a ladder.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭redzerredzer

Floppybits wrote: »
    I agree with you up to a point on if you are better player you should be in the team but that depends on the type of competition being played. The winter league is a doubles competition and some players who may be good singles players but are not good at doubles and some players are better doubles players than singles players and therefore rightly those players should be considered first.

Well then you agree with me 100% because I never mentioned better singles players playing ahead of better doubles players in Winter League.

[/QUOTE]On the posters post about not being picked and there being no ladder in the club, I would be asking why is there no ladder to allow players to challenge. This would be a red flag for me if I was joining a club unless the club is just starting up and then there is probably a reason for it but any club worth its salt will have a ladder.[/QUOTE]

Ladders are nowhere near a fool proof way of picking league teams. To use your example what if the number one on the singles ladder is seventh best at doubles. He as number one in the club would expect to be on your winter league team.
    So you may say, have a doubles ladder. But what if one really good player can drag his poor partner up the rankings?
    Always going to be arguments about picking teams.

Good luck in your league matches though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Supertoucher

I think this is a problem in most clubs. Team selection is often cliquey and I've experienced this on both sides of the coin.

Only getting called up when the "regulars" are ill or unavailable despite regularly winning my matches when called.

It's just how it is and often never addressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 MtPleasantLTC

In Mount Pleasant we operate a singles and doubles ladder and prior to winter league we put everyone who is interested in playing into round robin groups.
    The captains pick the teams but the ladder and round robin draws are there as an aid so everyone has a chance to compete for a position.
    It seems a bit short sighted not to let new members compete for position, our captains are delighted when new members join who are of league playing standard & give them every chance to make the team.
    Hope you managed to get on a team in your club, if not happy with how things are run, why not try get on the committee and shake it up a bit?!

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭shutup

Anyone on here playing winter league? Starting on Jan 28th.
    I think we should get out of group at least. Hopefully a promotion!
    Probably jinxed it now though

shutup wrote: »
    Anyone on here playing winter league? Starting on Jan 28th.
    I think we should get out of group at least. Hopefully a promotion!
    Probably jinxed it now though

Yep I will be playing. Got stung with being a team captain. A thankless task. 😭

Yep I will be playing. Got stung with being a team captain. A thankless task. 😭

Yes, captan is always difficult.
    What class are you playing?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

Got stung with being a team captain. A thankless task. ��

And you have to give the speech after tea and sandwiches at the end! :pac:

Yeah, team selection is usually disastrous in most clubs. Singles players always getting picked. I've watched so many so called "high class" doubles matches of just moonballers. It's a joke.

Yes, captan is always difficult.
    What class are you playing?

I shall be moonballing my way through class 4.

Being captain is a pain and takes away from the league for me. Chasing players for money, spending time trying to get subs, fighting with other team captains for players.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

I shall be moonballing my way through class 4.

Being captain is a pain and takes away from the league for me. Chasing players for money, spending time trying to get subs, fighting with other team captains for players.
    Mens or Womens league ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,846 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

I really should join a club again and get back into it.

So we made the playoffs but The way the draw has worked out, i don’t think we will get that promotion.
    Only one Leinster based league player on boards apart from me. So all the experts from Leinster commenting on serina beating men and nadal v Djokovic v Federer don’t play in a club or can’t get on a team?

Well done on making the playoffs. What Class were you playing? I was playing class 4 and it was a disaster. :(

Class 2.
    Was captain as bad as you thought?

Class 2.
    Was captain as bad as you thought?

Yep. Its was bad. Probably was unlucky but i had subs in every week. Took the fun out of the competition when you have to spend the week trying to get people to play.

Advertisement