Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Earthing of metal mast on the roof

Options
  • 17-07-2019 11:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

Hi

I have installed expensive equipment for a company mounting them on steel brackets on the roof.

The equipment has surge protection on the coaxial cable coming inside the house from the outside equipment.

The company have requested installed a earth rod in the ground and lugging a earth wire onto the metal frame straight down to its own earth rod. They say the reason for this is to protect the outside equipment from lighting.

But I said the they would be better not earthing the metal frame because if they do earth the frame to the ground they are basically attracting lighting to strike the equipment.

I also recommended that they install lighting protection on the roof, rods etc . But they don't want to spend that much money.

But I still think they are better off not installing earth rod for the frame as the equipment is coaxial .

Any help or information would be appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Anything mounted on a roof that receives a direct lighting strike will be sizzled regardless of what you do. The idea of a lightning protection system and surge protection is to limit the damage to other equipment and the general structure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Jaklmex

Think of it like baiting a rat trap with peanut butter

You're attracting the rat but the trap will kill it

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Purpose built high sites have elevated lighting protection, above the GPS antenna which is typically at the top. Sites located on 3rd party structures are protected by arrestors which should be plenty. You don't see MNOs replacing hundreds of RRUs/Antennas yearly from strikes so apparently they work fine.

Advertisement