Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shot blasting a tanker

• 16-07-2019 9:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know that approximate cost of getting a 1350 gallon tanker shot blasted and painted?

Only thinking out loud at the moment about what to do with the new slurry spreading regulations looming....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭G-Man

Surely rusted more from the inside, so what would shotblasting and paint on the outside add.

Think of all the glasses and valves to be moved or protected... Is it just the tank or chassis as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭lalababa

Maybe if you shot blasted the inside..ha.ha. There is a special phospheric acid type product rather like what was used to wash through the milking parlours, that supposedly reacts with the rust to form a sealing layer against other rust. Might be something to look at for the inside(H&S beware). Shot blasting the outside ...I don't know, probably better to wire brush the worst and just paint it with rust preventing/treating paint?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭Grueller

G-Man wrote: »
    Surely rusted more from the inside, so what would shotblasting and paint on the outside add.

Think of all the glasses and valves to be moved or protected... Is it just the tank or chassis as well.

Couldn't agree more. A tanker will eat itself from the inside out. I had a neighbour spent a small fortune blasting and spraying one and also put in a new towing eye. 2 years later it had pinhole coming through from the inside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Would modern tankers be glass lined on the inside nowadays?

Anyway, you'd have to ask yourself what benefit it will be to blast and paint it. Blasting is an expensive business. Will it yield you any tangible benefit to do this work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭hopeso

Would modern tankers be glass lined on the inside nowadays?

Anyway, you'd have to ask yourself what benefit it will be to blast and paint it. Blasting is an expensive business. Will it yield you any tangible benefit to do this work?

Never heard of a glass lined tanker...Mine isn't anyway..

The benefit of blasting and painting it would be in the hope of extending it's life. What with the splash plate ban looming, I'm looking at all options. The cost of a retro fit dribble bar seems to be similar to the price of a new tanker, and I certainly can't afford a new dribble bar and a new tanker together. But, if shot blasting is so expensive, then the only option will be to let my current tanker work on for as long as it does in it's current condition....

• Advertisement

Imho, just wire brush the worst of it and give it a good antirust/rust preventing paint/the paint for corrigated roofs. And have a look at marine antirust paint or phospheric acid type stuff for the inside. H&S beware though when you are inside!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭cute geoge

lalababa wrote: »
    Imho, just wire brush the worst of it and give it a good antirust/rust preventing paint/the paint for corrigated roofs. And have a look at marine antirust paint or phospheric acid type stuff for the inside. H&S beware though when you are inside!

This is fuking stupid talk about painting inside of a tank .Imagine some young fellow reading this might chance it without breathing apparatus .It is a receipe for a disaster anyway and posts above should be deleted or else proper advice about how to do the job!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭cjpm

Friend of mine went into a vacuum tank painting. Passed out inside. His dad happened to walk by, spotted him and pulled him out. Could easily have died.

Yep, going into a tanker painting willy nilly is a recipe for misadventure.That's why I mentioned the H&S . You would want proper breathing apparatus. All precautions taken. Or you could manage with a long Lance sprayer prehaps without actually going fully in. Might be a better job.

No man. That is just stupid talk.

To do that you'd want to be well versed and trained in working in confined spaces. You'd also need to be trained to use a BA correctly. It's not just pick it up, and figure it out there and then.

Regardless of being competent to do it and all that, nobody should be going into a tank or any other confined space unless it is absolutely 100% essential. Painting the inside of a vacuum tank is not necessary. Too many people die at this craic.

painting is 100% pointless anyway unless you can remove every last bit of dirt and rust as the rot will just continue unchecked at those little dirty and rusty corners.

Painting the outside of the tank is enough. It is also pretty pointless though as it is just cosmetic unless you blast it, dry it thoroughly and apply the right primer and top coats. No farmyard is going to have the time, equipment, skills and money to devote to this.

You'd be better off trading the tank for a better one. Easier option than messing around with shed paint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭roosterman71

A lot of talk here about the pointlessness of it. Sure half the jobs done are pointless. Get a grip FFS.

The lad wants to preserve his tanker. If he can do that by giving the outside a lick of paint, do it. My auld lad did a 2000g tanker earlier in the year. Was all cleaned, the wirebrushed down, primer added and 3 coats of paint applied.

See a few pics here

Also, should be noted that it gets powerwashed down after use and is stored indoors when not used. Slurry on the outside will eat away more when combined with damp air. The inside is a vacuum remember. Don't go into it to paint it. That is total madness.

But paint away outside, but don't do a half arsed job or ya'll be at it again in no time.

A lot of talk here about the pointlessness of it. Sure half the jobs done are pointless. Get a grip FFS.

The lad wants to preserve his tanker. If he can do that by giving the outside a lick of paint, do it. My auld lad did a 2000g tanker earlier in the year. Was all cleaned, the wirebrushed down, primer added and 3 coats of paint applied.

See a few pics here

Also, should be noted that it gets powerwashed down after use and is stored indoors when not used. Slurry on the outside will eat away more when combined with damp air. The inside is a vacuum remember. Don't go into it to paint it. That is total madness.

But paint away outside, but don't do a half arsed job or ya'll be at it again in no time.

That's a nice job! Well done....

looks lovely. But an unnecessary cosmetic exercise all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭maidhc

The inside is a vacuum remember.

Its a vacuum while the pump is sucking, the rest of the time it is just a big old tank of air that will rust if the steel the Irish manufacturers use for their toppers is anything to go by.

Never understood why more people dont get galvanized tankers. Rossmore one here is 25 years old and still pretty much perfect.

Rossmore also has a full size opening back door; much safer if you do need to go into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Who2

I know a lad who sucks up a liter of diesel into his tank through the pump every year when he’s finished with it. He reckons it helps, I’m not sure myself it would do much good.

Who2 wrote: »
    I know a lad who sucks up a liter of diesel into his tank through the pump every year when he’s finished with it. He reckons it helps, I’m not sure myself it would do much good.

It helps clean the inside of the pump. It’s recommended to do it by the manufacturers. But it will do nothing for the inside of the tanker...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭Grueller

Respectfully disagree Rooster. Open the back door of your tanker and have a look. You will never see corrosion on the outside to match what you will see lying inside.

Advertisement