Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Quote for installing new tiles & Carpet

• 16-07-2019 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just want to get a very generic idea of what type of money it would cost to re floor a house.

Lets say i have a house of 1200sq foot.

Downstairs to be tiles and upstairs to be carpet;

If i go to a place like rite price tiles etc do they usually install for a fee too? ie if i bought tiles for a total of 2k do they lay them too for a seperate cost or what is usually the cost for we'll say 600sq foot?

Also if anyone had an idea about new carpets, ie price to install? so for argument sake 600sq foot too

Thanks

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 54,091 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Yes, you'll have to pay for fitting. Tiler will charge you per square metre, but the price will vary depending on your tiles. What they're made of, the size of them etc will all alter the price, sometimes significantly. You'll also have to factor in cost of materials like grout, which again can make it more expensive if you need some fancy stuff.

I would guess that tiling labour would be upwards of 1000-1500 for 600sq feet, excluding materials. Not sure if places like Rite Price have their own tilers or you'd have to organise separately.

Carpet laying is much faster than tiling and usually places you buy carpet will include fitting, if not it won't be a significant amount.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Also price will depend on cutting, if odd shape room, if using the tiles for skirting and if any trim pieces are required. Also if the floor is off even, they may need to use a leveling compound.

Best bet is to pick the tiles so you have a cost of that.
    Then get 3 quotes from Tiler’s. Ask the Tiler’s to supply their own adhesive and grout etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,566 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

kceire wrote: »
    Also price will depend on cutting, if odd shape room, if using the tiles for skirting and if any trim pieces are required. Also if the floor is off even, they may need to use a leveling compound.

Best bet is to pick the tiles so you have a cost of that.
    Then get 3 quotes from Tiler’s. Ask the Tiler’s to supply their own adhesive and grout etc

also make sure grouting and cleaning up after the work is included.
    Have seen a few jobs recently where tilers just tiled, no grouting.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Administrators Posts: 54,091 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

also make sure grouting and cleaning up after the work is included.
    Have seen a few jobs recently where tilers just tiled, no grouting.

That seems bizarre. Grouting is part of tiling, leaving it without grout is an unfinished job, and it's hard to imagine any professional tiler not grouting as standard.

Are you sure in those cases the customer didn't specifically ask the tiler not to grout in order to try save a few quid and do a DIY job on it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,566 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

awec wrote: »
    That seems bizarre. Grouting is part of tiling, leaving it without grout is an unfinished job, and it's hard to imagine any professional tiler not grouting as standard.

Are you sure in those cases the customer didn't specifically ask the tiler not to grout in order to try save a few quid and do a DIY job on it?

100% sure.
    talking big tiles/big areas so no question of DIY follow-on.

tiler was subbed by builder

In another case, tiling around kitchen sink was done, tiles left with cut edges, but no beading.
    Why? never specified....

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭enricoh

100% sure.
    talking big tiles/big areas so no question of DIY follow-on.

tiler was subbed by builder

In another case, tiling around kitchen sink was done, tiles left with cut edges, but no beading.
    Why? never specified....

Good luck to the builder getting his final payment - I'd laugh at him!

Advertisement