Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to fix a broken Harry Potter Wand

Options
  • 15-07-2019 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Not your typically DIY post but I thought it might be a good place to start.

My son bought a HP Toy Wand less than a week ago and (of course) it broke in 2.

So, I'm looking for some suggestion on how to repair / fix it so that it can be used again.

I have super glue - but I think the surface area covering the break is too small to provide a lasting solution. (diameter of the break point is about 8mm)

If there are specific glues or adhesives might work please let me know.

I also thought of drilling a very small bit down each broken length and combining with a double ended thin screw.

My father in law suggested some for of metal sleeve.

If you can think of a good solution please let me know and I can give it a shot.

See attached picture.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Have tried a mending charm?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Try getting a small modelling drill and going with that idea, then glue on all the contact surfaces too

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

colm_mcm wrote: »

Too me a moment to get this :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Drop it in to Olivander's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭quazzy

colm_mcm wrote: »

Tried that but the broken wand wouldn't comply.
    Ended up breaking the toaster in the process.

• Advertisement

Drop it in to Olivander's.

On holidays - with no return date on his Out of Office.

Try getting a small modelling drill and going with that idea, then glue on all the contact surfaces too

thanks - I'll see if I can go with that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,028 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

A nice brass screw in ferrule and make a two part wand? You can buy them at various sizes on auction sites

MAHLW3.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭cletus

To keep it looking as original as possible, I'd go with the idea of drilling a hole in each piece, get a long M3 machine screw and cut the head off to create a piece of threaded bar. If you have a tap and die set you could even try putting a thread in the two holes, and then loctite everything together

cletus wrote: »
    To keep it looking as original as possible, I'd go with the idea of drilling a hole in each piece, get a long M3 machine screw and cut the head off to create a piece of threaded bar. If you have a tap and die set you could even try putting a thread in the two holes, and then loctite everything together

Thanks Cletus.

Don't have a tap and die set - my dad might have one though - he usually has all sorts of things lying about his shed.

Either way - I think the option you describe would keep the wand as original looking as possible.

Thanks for all the posts so far - much appreciated.
    Will post back if/when I get it sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,014 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I don't think there's much strength in an M3 bolt. You'll then be posting for help with fixing a snapped bolt. :D

I think the brass option looks great.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭FluffPiece

Always an option of masking tape and telling him it's Ron Weasley's wand

• Registered Users Posts: 67,028 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

quazzy wrote: »
    Thanks Cletus.

Don't have a tap and die set - my dad might have one though - he usually has all sorts of things lying about his shed.

Either way - I think the option you describe would keep the wand as original looking as possible.

Thanks for all the posts so far - much appreciated.
    Will post back if/when I get it sorted.

I would counsel against the threaded screw option because of how it will be used. Too much pressure on a very narrow stick. It will most likely split.

its a 20e toy ffs,
    just buy another

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭mr_cochise

I'd say drill a narrow hole in to each surface and glue in a small wooden dowl pin. More glue to each surface and push together.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,108 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Don't do the thing with the double ended screw, you will produce a lethal weapon when it breaks again. I doubt a wooden dowel would last long either. A sleeve would be the best solution - superglue the two ends together then add either a sleeve of something like copper pipe, or very neatly applied duct tape which could be given a coat of may be spray paint and a few stars. Though I like the Ron Weasley idea too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

Lumen wrote: »
    I don't think there's much strength in an M3 bolt. You'll then be posting for help with fixing a snapped bolt. :D

I think the brass option looks great.

More strength than a piece of plastic or resin or whatever that's made from.
    Longest 3 or 4mm screw you can get away with. Drill and tap both sides, plus a dab of superglue or Araldite.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭Odelay

Wrap it up with duct tape and color it brown with a marker. Keep it simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Drill the small diam hole (1 - 1.5mm) as suggested but use the drill bit itself as the internal splint, gluing it in. It will be a good tight fit.

Use a small nail to dot punch each half first to get the hole drilled centre - that way you will get a decent match between halfs.

You might as well drill the same sized hole into the side of one half to meet up with the bottom of the centreline hole. Press the shank end of the drill into that side: air and glue can escape. The fluted side can go in the other half, the fluted side of the bit allowing air out past itself.

Very high tech for a wand. But the fun is in the fix. It won't break at the break again, thats for sure...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭policarp

What material is the wand made of?

• Advertisement

UPDATE with photos:

Got some M4 machine bolt and cut to size (4cm)

Drill 2 holes with 3.5mm drill bit

A bit tricky without a vice grips but I improvised (see photo)

Dad had Tap and Die Set and I added a thread to the holes.

Twist the M4 machine bolt and the 2 pieces join up well.

It feels secure and snug and should hopefully hold up to whatever magical adventures may come.

Young lad is happy out

Thanks for all the tips and contributions.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,300 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

its a 20e toy ffs,
    just buy another

Lazy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭cletus

Good job. Nice and neat

• Registered Users Posts: 13,406 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

quazzy wrote:
    UPDATE with photos:

Tbh, after only two weeks I'd have been bringing it back and looking for a replacement. Presuming it wasn't bought in Florida or something.

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Tbh, after only two weeks I'd have been bringing it back and looking for a replacement. Presuming it wasn't bought in Florida or something.

Nope bought on holidays at a market stall. (its a copy)

Market stall was closing up for the night and my son wanted the Remus Lupin wand. I think that the one he got may have been the demo one that was on the table so it may have been used and abused by many other kids for weeks before we got it.

Either way - he's happy and I'm happy that I could fix it (for now.)

It might all go pear shaped but for now - i'm putting this on the Win column. :)

For future reference, even though the diameter is tiny, and I know superglue has been ruled out and it's not really a 'DIY' adventure to use glue anyway, but Mitre Fix/Mitre Fast glue would work on that.

I have yet to see that glue fail on anything I've tried it on. It's ridiculously strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

quazzy wrote:
    It might all go pear shaped but for now - i'm putting this on the Win column.

Well done that's what Dads are for

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

Mitre fix glue has stoped so many tears around the house here the last 11 years from dolls hands to play station controllers to the Mrs stuff she dosent even know the kids have broke yet
    Even after the Aunt sat on her glasses it fixed the broken frames for her after an optician told her they couldn't be repaired.
    Every house should have it on standby
    About 10-15e in most hardware stores

Advertisement