Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hanging curtain rail can’t drill further than few cm

• 11-07-2019 4:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭

Hello

Trying to put up a curtain rail in an apartment. I can’t seem to drill further than a few cm. Using cement and steel drill bits with hammer action.

Anyone any idea what material I’m coming up against? And might there be a work around?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 480 ✭✭ewc78

Sounds like you're hitting a steel beam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

You can only go so far if you hit good concrete with a normal percussion drill. You'll need an SDS type drill to get any further.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭doh777

Thanks for the reply. If i go higher with the position of the brackets might I bypass the beam?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Had the same problem with a hammer action drill. Get an SDS as above ^^

SDS meaning?

• Advertisement

doh777 wrote: »
    SDS meaning?

LOL Not this again - nothing to do with you btw :D

Its a chuck system that combined with a hammer/percussion action transfers much more energy to the bit so drills through stuff a hammer drill with a standard chuck can't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Thanks for the reply. If i go higher with the position of the brackets might I bypass the beam?

Maybe, hard to tell without knowing the construction of the building.

You mention a few CM. I could generally say few is 3cm. 3 CM sounds like plenty depending on the curtain rail and how heavy your curtains are planning to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 208 ✭✭keithdub

A screw gun wont do the job you need a sds drill. Get a cheap oun out of lidl or aldi

Ok. Heavy enough curtains so I will be using long screws. Thanks for all the replies. Looking a getting an SDs drill on adverts so. Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭g6fdyotp5nj2l7

You don't necessarily need an sds drill for that job any half decent corded hammer action drill will do it.
    You must be meeting a lintel. If you go a bit higher you should avoid it.
    I don't know what you're calling a few centimetres. If you're able to drill in 4 centimetres it should be plenty for curtain brackets.

• Advertisement

I’m getting 2cm in then impasse. Was wanting to use 6cm screws for the brackets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭g6fdyotp5nj2l7

doh777 wrote:
    I’m getting 2cm in then impasse. Was wanting to use 6cm screws for the brackets.

You must be meeting a lintel so provided you're using a corded hammer action drill. Move a bit higher and you should be cable to drill it. I wouldn't be buying an sds drill to hang curtains.

The drill is cordless. Just had someone onto me involved in the construction, it’s not a lintel, just mass concrete with steel shook into it? So a more powerful drill is needed. Thanks again for all replies. I’ll try borrow a drill. If not second hand seems as economical as renting one. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,138 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Do you really need long screws for this application? The quality of the fixing is more important than the length.

Yeah, would like it to be as solid as possible. Thanks again for all replies.

Yeah, would like it to be as solid as possible. Thanks again for all replies.

It may not fit in in this situation but what I have done when I couldn't get a good fix into the wall just where I wanted to put the mounts was to put a feature piece of timber across the top of the window and fix that firmly to the wall. The advantage being you can put the fixings in the timber wherever you can get them in the wall then your mounts can just be screwed to the timber.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

^
    Have done this before on crappy plasterboard walls when the studs were nowhere useful.
    Timber to the studs and then fix curtains wherever you want

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭delboythedub

get yourself a large nail or simular item with a sharp point a hilti nail etc and put in the hole that you made and a few gentle taps with a hammer may clear problem and then continue with your drill. You may have hit a small stone and this trick with the hammer might clear it.

Advertisement